Heat exchanger discussion

TheNuker

Goblin Guru
I wonder if we could build some kind of scoops/side panel combo like these to mount twin HEs in? Anyone considered this approach?

Nuker-

photo_1-40-628-380-80-c.jpg

Waterdriver

Goblin Guru
I wonder if we could build some kind of scoops/side panel combo like these to mount twin HEs in? Anyone considered this approach?

Nuker-

View attachment 4038
Yes. Working on it now. Lines are ran to the passenger side area of the car, in the scoop area like in your picture.
Working to do a temporary install of the provided HE and fan, for now. Permanent HE will be likely a dual pass shifter kart radiator with single or dual fans.

Last edited:

dperkins

I am also going this route as well. I have started making fiberglass side scoops to go to dual intercoolers. I will be using the stock cooler x2 which I think (hope) would be enough.

Brian74

Goblin Guru
I brainstormed that one for a good week. I thought a fiberglass design using a similar curve/shape/top angle/fwd angle as the front cowling would look nice. Problem is I have zero fiberglass experience. Fiberglass pods would have to wrap on 3-4 sides & need a small front lip to mount a protective grille to. That would require at least 2 (split outer moulds) already made of fiberglass. The next issue would be mounting it. I gave up, lol. Huge kudos to anybody who comes up with a good workable design.

7BAC14D7-F198-4315-B3DD-ED0DFBFBE49B.jpeg

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
This is why I mounted it and have been driving and enjoying it ever since. Some may not like the look, but it functions very well and it's done.

Waterdriver

Goblin Guru
Mocking up the HE to build some mounting brackets and procure some tubing clamps.
15285675195979151667285648295986.jpg

15285676154097729903383701790927.jpg

Left the HE hoses long since I'm wanting to replace with a larger HE.

dperkins

I brainstormed that one for a good week. I thought a fiberglass design using a similar curve/shape/top angle/fwd angle as the front cowling would look nice. Problem is I have zero fiberglass experience. Fiberglass pods would have to wrap on 3-4 sides & need a small front lip to mount a protective grille to. That would require at least 2 (split outer moulds) already made of fiberglass. The next issue would be mounting it. I gave up, lol. Huge kudos to anybody who comes up with a good workable design.

View attachment 4117
I'm not really a fan of that general design. The front wheels kick up rocks and those hit the intercooler and damage it. Common problem on the atom. I'd rather have the intercooler in the frame and have a scoop come and direct air onto it.

Brian74

Goblin Guru
I'm not really a fan of that general design. The front wheels kick up rocks and those hit the intercooler and damage it. Common problem on the atom. I'd rather have the intercooler in the frame and have a scoop come and direct air onto it.
I’ve decided on the same. Would love to see what ideas you come up with on the scoops.

dperkins

Can't decide which style of scoop is best.
IMG_4633.JPG
IMG_4637.JPG

I like the look of the bottom mount scoop better but it would be a massive pain to mount inside of the frame. The amount of rocks flying into the scoop and getting directed into the intercooler could also be a problem. The top mount looks decent IMO, but the install would be very clean and much less debris would go into it. Thoughts?

Attachments

Last edited:

Waterdriver

Goblin Guru
To me, the lower scoop looks better.
To combat rocks, you can use wire mesh/ cloth in front of the HE.
With the shifter karts, our radiators sat almost directly behind the front tires.
Some racers would mount the wire mesh in front of their radiators to help protect them.
I never did and didn't seem to have an issue with rocks. It was mainly bee's.
Laying the radiator back at an angle helped deflect the debris as not to take the full impact energy from said object.

Last edited:

Brian74

Goblin Guru
Looks good. I’m planning very similar to the upper style. I plan on mounting HE higher where there is more room. Right scoop I may integrate into an air intake using a factory style rectangular paper filter (I’m not a fan of K&N/cotton gauze filters.)

TheNuker

Goblin Guru
I wonder if adding the side scoops will fix the vortex 130deg air that hits the back of your neck. The windshield makes a huge deadzone that cycles that hot air right to your head.

I really don't like the idea of cutting the windshield down because I don't want to ware a helmet nor do I like rocks in my face.

Nuker-

BAR-AIR

Just playing with a small diverter just to channel some additional air through the intercooler. As of right now air flow has not been an issue. But seeing that I can’t use the stock engine cover anyway just playing with different ways to cover the engine and direct as much air as possible to the intercooler.
149A25EE-8F83-4FC0-80DF-7E8F185AB463.jpeg
CBABADF0-B37C-4BC5-A96B-3AF29A07074A.jpeg
BEF9A992-D373-420C-8CCC-702EADF2FD5A.jpeg

dperkins

I decided to go with higher up mounted intercooler for conveniences sake. I have spent the last few days screwing around with foam to make a good mold to cover. I started with green foam from michaels and boy, is it a pain. Anytime you think about sanding it or cutting or even touching it a ton of green dust flies off of the foam. I covered about a third of my driveway from the dust when I worked with it. I scrapped the green foam and moved on to styrofoam insulation. It was a lot easier to work with and didn't give headaches. I finished the model and wrapped it with blue painters tape then covered in veg oil for a mold release. In the middle of doing the first FB layer now.
IMG_4647.JPG

Attachments

George

Goblin Guru
If someone has a completed car and a hand held windspeed indicator. If so do a test by holding the wind meter outside the car and measure the air speed compared to road speed.

Brad