James's Extended Track Goblin - 06 LS donor

jamesm

Goblin Guru
I'm building a fairly "stock" extended track Goblin using a manual 2006 LS 4 door donor. When I say stock, I mean that I'm not planning to add any aftermarket components or accessories to my Goblin during the initial build. I may install a better quality/higher performance components If something needs replacing but I'm not hopping it up off the bat.

I'm planning to adapt the "Old Crow" P-51 Mustang designs for the paint and colors. There are several places fairly close that do full custom vinyl wraps so I'm leaning that direction right now. I'm thinking the red and yellow checker on the nose with the army green down the top. I'll probably add an old school pinup girl right behind the front wheels then possibly some engine exhaust down the sides with the Air Force and squadron logos toward the back. The spoiler will be gray and red like the empennage of the plane.
old-crow.jpg

All of the following posts will follow a standardized format:
Entry Hours: ##
Total Hours: ##

Completed Activities:
I did stuff and things.

Planned Activities:
I'm gonna do more stuff and things...

jamesm

Goblin Guru
Entry Hours: 1
Total Hours: 1

Completed Activities:
Stripped trunk, removed tail lights, third brake light, and license plate light. Removed rear seat and head rests

One note for those with 4 door donors, the rear bumper skin has to be partially removed to get wiring harness free. Remove plastic pins along the top edge, remove two torx screws, one on each side, remove plastic pins and screws from rear wheel well. Top of Bumper skin should be loose enough to pull away enough to get the harness free and pulled back into trunk. This will also allow access to the license plate light.

Planned Activities:
Strip front bumper
Bend damaged upper frame back close to original position
Remove front fenders and doors
Strip passenger side interior
Appt scheduled to have AC system evacuated
Get IDOD inspection

F35aeXXwQHmwJ+A7NQTJhA.jpgCyBeKGOQTNe6G+MNsB1AJw.jpgq8KWHYoTQKq1u2rdHGQwNg.jpg+vEQNuGzSea2L7AtKpWK+A.jpgZDwO+MKAR2GmR1c0rp+Crw.jpglsZEchcCTJexkGrrdly0uQ.jpgIBpokcpWR%Cv2rk0cWukyw.jpgolULRPc7S1G70GhAqjatkQ.jpg1P6MW7NEQj6%0kQThFPqZQ.jpgnZB0xCy2Slyq+0yJeUrnuw.jpg

Last edited:

jamesm

Goblin Guru
Entry Hours: 2
Total Hours: 3

Completed Activities:
Removed bumper, headlight, fender, inner fender panel, air filter, breather box, and radiator
Bent upper frame sorta back into place.
Flagged and labeled all wiring that was disconnected
Removed windshield wipers, motor, and cowl (these were a *****... they were rusted in... needed a big pry bar and a BFH to remove them...)
Removed horn and washer fluid reservoir
Zip tied everything down and prepped for trip to a local mechanic to evacuate AC

Planned Activities:
Appt scheduled to have AC system evacuated
Finish removing components from engine bay
Remove doors
Strip front interior
Remove dash and disassemble
Get IDOD inspection - ? (According to my local DOR office, I don't need any sort of inspection... we'll see when I go to get my junk title later this week...)
P0YllsPfSaiuKuzd+gk4WA.jpg s9imYs9hTRWcFDqx5UOkOg.jpg ugjN8N85QNe16Tf8Gf9AlA.jpg IdZLj3LKRMC3Odf64SwZJA.jpg ZkKIQluPTOewxmd02KdEXQ.jpg

jamesm

Goblin Guru
The donor took a little ride down to a local mechanic to get the AC system evacuated. In hindsight, I really wish I would have taken the doors off first... I'm too big to be crawling in and out of the window nascar style...

miFPK%2+TwC47Uxbe6knMQ.jpg

jamesm

Goblin Guru
Entry Hours: 3
Total Hours: 6

Completed Activities:
AC evacuated
Removed AC condenser and hoses
Removed doors and front seats
Remove fuse block, control module, and overflow tank
Disassembled front suspension

Planned Activities:
Drop subframe
remove power train
Strip front interior
Remove dash and disassemble
Get IDOD inspection - ? (According to my local DOR office, I don't need any sort of inspection... we'll see when I go to get my junk title later this week...)

UwUwdd2hTlODh8pTu7QzoA.jpg %TVRYlgvRpCni2OX9DEPZA.jpg Fn1eKGDjTsmvfrksauz5Wg.jpg Ypn54joXSs6+4oeZdb7zmQ.jpg +M6XhRt0Qku8nC3yOs38lA.jpg peRYdYGNRvyk3pHObwlEtw.jpg 8W66zC9CReyvbOIVxcTIeA.jpg aW4u9Y82Tw2RsSZOxtAsRg.jpg d8lw9yjTRmiOMQF6HvTHeQ.jpg vmJ11Y6KQseVvDVeKQrj%Q.jpg

JSATX

Goblin Guru
Looking great so far. I don’t know what your laws are there but it only cost me $8 to transfer the salvage title into my name. Made it lots easier to get rid of the shell after I was done with it.

jamesm

Goblin Guru
Thanks. When I called they said a junk title would be $2.50. I'm going down there tomorrow so we'll see...

So far it hasn't been too bad. I did have a bit of trouble getting the struts out. I couldn't get the spring compressor up in the recess enough to get more than a couple loops so it took a bit of fiddling to get it out.

jamesm

Goblin Guru
Ok, so a slight change of plans... I'm having to change donors due to some titling issues with my 06 LS.... Let's just say I learned a lot the titling process in Missouri...

Onto the good stuff. I purchased a running 08 LS coupe for a donor the other day. As soon as I get the AC evacuated, I will begin the teardown. In even better news, my frame should be ready for pickup next weekend. I'm looking forward to meeting Adam and Lonny, seeing their shop, and getting to check out their shop cars.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Ok, so a slight change of plans... I'm having to change donors due to some titling issues with my 06 LS.... Let's just say I learned a lot the titling process in Missouri...
What happened with the title issue? Being from Missouri, I'm curious.

jamesm

Goblin Guru
I like the theme for the wrap. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product.
We'll see how it turns out. In talking to Adam the other day, I'm getting one of the new carbon fiber wings so I'm not sure I can bring my self to wrap it as they are pretty sweet looking.

jamesm

Goblin Guru
What happened with the title issue? Being from Missouri, I'm curious.
The previous owners never paid their sales tax so I can't get the title transferred into my name. I even offered to pay their sales tax for them but they just blocked me.... I've tried everything I can think of to get around it but basically the only option I have is filing for abandoned property and hoping that the paperwork will eventually come back...

It's my own fault, I was so excited to get started that I didn't do my due diligence in validating the title when I got it. You live, you learn, I guess...

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
The previous owners never paid their sales tax so I can't get the title transferred into my name. I even offered to pay their sales tax for them but they just blocked me.... I've tried everything I can think of to get around it but basically the only option I have is filing for abandoned property and hoping that the paperwork will eventually come back...

It's my own fault, I was so excited to get started that I didn't do my due diligence in validating the title when I got it. You live, you learn, I guess...
First time I've heard of that. Didn't even know it was something to be aware of.

jamesm

Goblin Guru
In Missouri, you don't really own a vehicle until you properly title it into your name. In my case, these people had purchased the car from a dealer, then they hit a deer a few weeks later. I'm guessing they didn't have insurance on it so they decided to sell it as is and never finished the title transfer process. Since they won't help me finish the titling process, I don't have many options....

jamesm

Goblin Guru
From what I've been told, I have two options. I can file for a declaratory judgement of ownership via the court (which will cost $800-$1000 or more), or I can file a request for ownership of abandoned property.

I'm planning to file the abandoned property paperwork. I'm hoping the certified letter with the Missouri forms will be enough to coax the previous owners into doing the right thing. If not, then hopefully the state will grant my request.

Either way, I'm planning on dropping the engine and transmission out of it and completely rebuilding them. I want to see how much horsepower I can coax out of an NA engine.

RichRich

Or title in another state just as a dismantled vehicle? Then carry on as normal without ever needing to title it in Missouri