Woosh noise? W/video

CMASH

My donor was a 2.2l 2005 lt sedan. When I turn off the engine there is a delay, then a woosh sound from the intake.

What is this? Is it bad?

Thanks guys

Last edited:

George

Goblin Guru
Some alternators have a over running clutch which alternator to continue to spin after engine is not turning

Brad

CMASH

Double checked. It is definitely air coming out of intake. It cooresponds with the throttle body position. Is this normal?

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
I know you aren't getting much help with this. I wish I could help more, but I am at a loss for specific solutions. It seems like decompression back through the intake. I'm not sure why that would happen. Could be a leaking intake valve allowing compression back through the intake. I assume you don't have the EVAP connected in anyway. That is the only other form of pressure/vacuum that I can think of that would be plumbed in to the intake.

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member
Try running it without the oil filler cap and see if it still has a woosh.

Last edited:

CMASH

Try running it without the oil filter cap and see if it still has a woosh.
Thanks for the reply. Filter or filler? I removed the filler cap and there is still a woosh. If I remove the filter cap wont oil come out under pressure?

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
I know you aren't getting much help with this. I wish I could help more, but I am at a loss for specific solutions. It seems like decompression back through the intake. I'm not sure why that would happen. Could be a leaking intake valve allowing compression back through the intake. I assume you don't have the EVAP connected in anyway. That is the only other form of pressure/vacuum that I can think of that would be plumbed in to the intake.
I have to agree with chad on this one.
Possible low compression when you shut it off that it is rolling the engine backwards. It almost sounds like it sneezed? How many miles on the engine?

CMASH

I have to agree with chad on this one.
Possible low compression when you shut it off that it is rolling the engine backwards. It almost sounds like it sneezed? How many miles on the engine?
How did the car run before you took it apart?
180,000 miles. It ran just fine before teardown. And it seems to run good now. Just making that weird noise. Could it have something to do with the throttle body? Its probably pretty dirty with 180 on it.

CMASH

Thank you all for your help.

I checked known vents and they seem to be okay. As far as I can tell.

My latest theory is a dirty throttle body. And the gunk is acting as a gasket.

I took off my intake and watched the throttle valve. The exact moment I shut off the engine, the valve shuts tight. Then moments later it opens, and stays open. This is when air rushes out which causes the woosh. My guess is that the throttle body is dirty enough that when it shuts, it seals tightly against the crud, trapping the air in the manifold. Then escapes when the valve opens to the default off position. I will clean the body and let know what happens.

Thoughts?

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
Air should rush in since the inside of the manifold is under vacuum when you shut the engine off. You could test that theory by putting a piece of tape or a piece of string that dangles over the the TB and see which direction it goes when the whoosh happens.

Doesn't really matter though. If it's dirty, then it's probably a good idea to clean it regardless.

CMASH

Air should rush in since the inside of the manifold is under vacuum when you shut the engine off. You could test that theory by putting a piece of tape or a piece of string that dangles over the the TB and see which direction it goes when the whoosh happens.

Doesn't really matter though. If it's dirty, then it's probably a good idea to clean it regardless.
You are correct! Just checked and it is in fact under vacuum when the woosh sounds. I will clean my tb. Pretty sure that will take care of it.

Thank you all very much for your help!