IDRVSLO / TRACK / 08 SS TC **REGISTERED** #105

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Yeah it is a bit nuts....I really want to wipe it back to a stock tune.

On another note I went on a second longer drive and it was creeping up temperature wise pretty fast....went above 235....I shut it off for a bit and headed back home. Wondering if I have a massive air pocket somewhere in the system.
Did you fill the coolant at the hose coming from the top of the engine on the passenger side? If not, take that hose off and pour coolant in there. That is a huge air pocket.

IDRVSLO

Goblin Guru
Filled directly into the upper engine side. Used the top return line to the expansion tank and blew air threw it to remove any bubbles. Repeated 3 times. Got out on the road and temps went to 195, then dropped to 183 and stayed there.

Success!

Going to mount the windscreen tomorrow although it is the last thing I really want to do. Need to bend the bracket as far back as I can then trim the screen it accordingly if needed.

A few things I noticed as I have been driving it....

1) Steering wheel is too close to the turn signal lever, I will be doing a quick release and new wheel, need to ensure enough clearance.

2) The tune is settling in or my foot is, I think both

3) Cant shift into 5th, where should I start adjustment wise.

4) People think you are nuts....then proceed to say they want one.

5) All grins, let's go driving season!

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
That's odd that 5th isn't working. If reverse works no issues then 5th should work too since reverse is farther over to the right than 5th.

Shift into 5th gear manually at the transmission and watch your shifter. You might be able to tell where it's interfering. That's what I had to do to get reverse to work smoothly.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
I found that if you move the side-side too far, it's hard to get into 5th. This is because there are multiple position of the side-side (1-2, 3-4, 5, and reverse) and you have to hit them just right and if you are going just a bit too far you will be between 5th and reverse and it won't go into 5th. Then when you jam it all the way, it's east to go into reverse because you can't go too far. You might need to lengthen the left cable on the transmission by turning the ball joint only one turn out because you are pulling it too far. A little adjustment goes a long way.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Filled directly into the upper engine side. Used the top return line to the expansion tank and blew air threw it to remove any bubbles. Repeated 3 times. Got out on the road and temps went to 195, then dropped to 183 and stayed there.

Success!

Going to mount the windscreen tomorrow although it is the last thing I really want to do. Need to bend the bracket as far back as I can then trim the screen it accordingly if needed.

A few things I noticed as I have been driving it....

1) Steering wheel is too close to the turn signal lever, I will be doing a quick release and new wheel, need to ensure enough clearance.

2) The tune is settling in or my foot is, I think both

3) Cant shift into 5th, where should I start adjustment wise.

4) People think you are nuts....then proceed to say they want one.

5) All grins, let's go driving season!

1. We had the same issue with the steering wheel but we got accustom to it and only occasionally bumped it and hit people with the High beams. But the steering wheel setup we have now is perfect in just about every way. I couldn't be happier with it. Highly recommended.
  2. You do get used to the new-found power and response
  3. see previous post
  4. That's another fun part of driving the car. I've had random people stop me and want a ride and I end up giving them a short ride. Occupants chosen carefully.
  5. Snowing here now, might be awhile before we are back out on the roads.

IDRVSLO

Goblin Guru
I really like your intercooler set up, I was thinking of mounting it behind the motor but this looks like it is in a better position for cooling.

Would you mind sharing the parts that you used for it as well as the air intake?

(like this
)
Will do! Thanks!

IDRVSLO

Goblin Guru
I gotta say a big thanks to everyone who has helped along the way. Went on a good 2 hours of road time today. Stopped by Dres house, took my wife, brother and sister in law for a ride. Getting more comfortable with every turn and shift.

I haven't pushed it too hard since it is a new engine but I am not one to go easy on things. Break them in like you are gonna drive them is my motto.

Its fast, looking forward to fine tuning things along with the suspension.

Seriously cant wait for my wing to arrive from Ninie Lives Racing. It will be the cherry on top!

Lethalcast

O that's sweet. With it being shiny you can use it as a parabolic solar grill to warm your lunch at car shows. The Df Griller has been born lol.

IDRVSLO

Goblin Guru
UPDATE:

Nine Lives Racing wing shows up tomorrow......should have it all mounted over the weekend but can post some mock up pics before.

Next on the list this month:
- Steering wheel, quick release and adapter
- Full custom exhaust, stainless 304, tig welded, dual exit
- F1 style rain light
- White lettering for the tires
- Trimming the windscreen

Future 2-3 months
- Stereo
- Finishing the electronic parking brake
- Finalizing ducting for the intercooler
- Small stuff......

IDRVSLO

Goblin Guru
Nice, can't wait to see the spoiler on!... Why do a rain light?
Because....lol.

But really the one I am looking at has 3 different modes, constant on, and two flashing modes. I want more visibility with our dumb drivers.

Last edited: