DCMoney's Extended Street Goblin - 06 SS SC - #111 Registered

DCMoney

Goblin Guru
I spy Lee breech lock and turret presses, both of which are more entertaining to work with than the harnesses.
Yep! The turret press is Lee's cheap-o turret press that hasn't been used in years, my uncle bought a Hornady LnL progressive press a while back that I borrow when doing large runs. Ammo's gotten so cheap I've almost stopped reloading other than precision rounds.

k.rollin

Goblin Guru
Nice, I have a LnL AP too, along with an old RCBS JR2 single stage. Seems I spend more effort building new pieces than I do shooting anymore.

DCMoney

Goblin Guru
Final payment has been sent, kit will be ready to pick up on the 17th, going on the 18th to pick everything up.

No update on progress, I'm so tied up with work trying to get a project done in time for the PRI show in December I doubt I'll have time to even start on the frame till after I get back from Indy.

I've been thinking of ways to increase the resistance in the power steering without completely turning it off. I've seen where people add pots and dial in resistance. Has anyone tried anything like this with the cobalt EPS?

http://www.autospeed.com/cms/article.html?&title=Modifying-Electric-Power-Steering&A=111532

The other thing I thought about doing was adding a steering quickener. I did one on my Polaris RZR mainly to help with steering through the tight trails I typically ride through but as a side effect steering resistance went up, quicker steering might be beneficial on autocross courses too.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
I've been thinking of ways to increase the resistance in the power steering without completely turning it off. I've seen where people add pots and dial in resistance. Has anyone tried anything like this with the cobalt EPS?

I have extra units that I could do some testing on. Not that I really want to change the steering effort, but it would be interesting to do it. If I do and come up with something, I'll let you know.

Last edited:

DCMoney

Goblin Guru
I have extra units that I could do some testing on. Not that I really want to change the steering effort, but it would be interesting to do it. If it do and come up with something, I'll let you know.
That would be awesome, thanks!

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
I have extra units that I could do some testing on. Not that I really want to change the steering effort, but it would be interesting to do it. If I do and come up with something, I'll let you know.
I read up on the EPS unit on these cars. I tried to bench test my old unit but didn't have a lot of luck. I was able to power it up but without the GM LAN to the EPS, it doesn't seem to want to do anything. I can check the input from the coil sensors, but it's based upon impedance and not simply resistance. I don't see a simple easy way to modify these units. Not saying it can't be done but certainly not as easy as I'd hoped.

DCMoney

Goblin Guru
I read up on the EPS unit on these cars. I tried to bench test my old unit but didn't have a lot of luck. I was able to power it up but without the GM LAN to the EPS, it doesn't seem to want to do anything. I can check the input from the coil sensors, but it's based upon impedance and not simply resistance. I don't see a simple easy way to modify these units. Not saying it can't be done but certainly not as easy as I'd hoped.
Thanks for looking into it and testing out the unit. Do you still have to torque sensor installed on the power steering unit?

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
The collared sensor that slides over the steering shaft can be cut off.
Or just unplug if you want to remove it. I guess all that will do is stop the power steering and will throw codes. There are two, one that doesn’t move or change values and it’s used for calibration and the other is used for the sensing of steering torque I thought about trying to see if there is a way to be able to adjust the input between the two. So basically it could be set to fully functional to all the way to non functional and anywhere in between.

Last edited:

DCMoney

Goblin Guru
Been really busy with work the last month+, was the lead engineer on a new product offering for the company I work for. Custom 40ft 42k lb capacity stacker trailer for a GT4 race team, they run KTM Xbows. We revealed the trailer at PRI on Thursday. So with work going back to its normal insanity level I'm starting to get back on the Goblin.

Did pick up all the parts and frame on the 18th of November. Was lucky enough to have my parents visiting for my kids birthday and Thanksgiving that my dad offered to ride down to Dallas with me to pick all of it up. Really helped since we left at midnight and were back home at 9:40 PM. Not bad since google said it was a 10 hour drive one way plus our stops.

Was great meeting Lonny and Adam, loved the tour and the chance to ride in a goblin was awesome! My Dad is already planning a trip back to the dragon where he brings the street bike and I bring the Goblin and we switch off every once in a while.

Its really sucked walking past the frame every day for the last few weeks and not having time to do anything with it.

Did order a lightweight flywheel, shorty headers, dual bypass and a few other small parts when ZZP had their black friday deal.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
I love the XBOWs! As I'm sure many can tell, we are KTM fans. That is very cool being able to make a trailer for a team that races them. I didn't even know there was a race for them in the US.

Good idea ordering the stuff from ZZP on Friday. We did the exact same thing last year also. It helps a lot.

DCMoney

Goblin Guru
Long time no update, work/life keeps me busy, plus the cold has kept me out of the garage.

Got my seat, Sparco R100 Sky (leather)

My wheels, 6UL 15x7 10.8lb fronts. 17x8 14.7lb rears. Going to try a set of the Bridgestone RE71Rs, 205/50 R15 on the front 235/45 R17 on the rear.

Did a timing chain kit, and water pump on the engine, continued cleaning in preparation to paint when it gets warm, still a long way to go. Also got my upgraded GM clutch and TOB.

Designed a seat bracket for my seats to use a universal seat slider and the existing tabs/holes on the frame for the Corbeau seat brackets from DF. Once 100% with them I'll weld in the additional tabs to add a little more surface area contact on the 1x1 tube.

Finally got my argon/co2 bottle filled and some tabs burned out at work, once I have them welded in Ill send the frame off for powder coating.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Love the seat frame setup. You might consider opening up the center. When you sit your butt in there, the seats flexes down. We did the same thing then found out we will have to open it up. Also consider when you hit bumps how it might make to push down even harder.

DCMoney

Goblin Guru
Love the seat frame setup. You might consider opening up the center. When you sit your butt in there, the seats flexes down. We did the same thing then found out we will have to open it up. Also consider when you hit bumps how it might make to push down even harder.
Thanks, didn't know that cushion pushing below the seat was even a thing. Easy change though.

DCMoney

Goblin Guru
Amazing design there, love it. One thing I wish I had was more flexibility on seat choices.
Thanks, worked on simplify the design to make it easier to fab and lighter. Whats pictured most likely wont be the final version, I'm always thinking of the next revision. I can see why DF only offers the mounts for one seat.