F40 Transmission - Will It Work?

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Ken, looks good. Can see the F35 mount will not work. Will Lonny and the team work out a new mount for the F40? If so, I will be needing this same change once I get the opportunity (and the funds) to order my kit.

BTW, when you get the chance, please check the spline count for the drivers and passengers side axles at the transmission end and the halfshaft end that goes into the transmission. I will need this to confirm which parts I must order to make mods to the stock TC axles. Thanks.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Kyle, have you been following this thread? Are you still planning to use the F40 transmission? Did you get the chance to finally open your F40 conversion kit from ZZP? Since you may have better access to your ZZP axles than Ken has right now, can you do the spline count? I am needing this information so I can order axles and get them modified. Thanks.

Tinkles

I am still following. I did open up my axle that was included in the kit. Funny thing. The axle I got with my kit is PN# ZZ-LNFAXLE-S1. Same part number as the LNF "Stage 1" axle I ordered to run on the passenger side. Both axles have 27 splines and are the same. I have contacted them asking if I received the correct axle in my kit.

I picked up a stripped block to use to help mock up the F40 in my Goblin. The weather is suppose to finally be getting warmer here next week.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Kyle, it is good the weather will start turning for you. Many years ago I had the same problem living in southern Wisconsin trying to work on cars in the garage. I hope ZZP can get you an answer quickly so you can get your mock up done. Let me know what you find out. Thanks.

KLMOTORSPORTS

Ken, looks good. Can see the F35 mount will not work. Will Lonny and the team work out a new mount for the F40? If so, I will be needing this same change once I get the opportunity (and the funds) to order my kit.

BTW, when you get the chance, please check the spline count for the drivers and passengers side axles at the transmission end and the halfshaft end that goes into the transmission. I will need this to confirm which parts I must order to make mods to the stock TC axles. Thanks.
They are going to make a frame minus the transmission mount and then mock it back up. Lonny was curious on the clearance as it will be close. Once the get it in the frame and level where it needs to be, I believe they will then make the transmission mount.

When I ordered my ZZP Kit, I ordered for a LSJ as that is what I’m running engine wise, but sent them back and going to run LNF axles, Knuckles, arms, etc...so much stronger.

Will be ordering the axles after I pick my car up in April, so will be a few weeks yet...

Ken

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Ken, sounds like great progress. Remind Lonny and Adam that more people may be asking for this mod - I know I will - when it comes time to place a kit order.

BTW, I am 1 step closer today to ordering, I purchased a donor 2008 SS/TC out of El Paso on Copart, so I will be starting the stripping process in about 10 days or so. It's all good!

KLMOTORSPORTS

Most definitely...really hoping to lay some groundwork with my install to help others for sure.

Good deal on your donor...ton of fun tearing them apart! I’m in the whole engine cleaning and detailing parts phase now (and buying a ton of parts) waiting till I get my kit...can’t wait!

Tinkles

So I have been talking with ZZP today. The "special" axle that they ship with the kit for the driver side is just suppose to be shorter, no change in spline count. But the axle that was shipped with my ZZP F40 swap kit is exactly the same as the LNF Stage 1 axle I have from ZZP. Same spline count, same length(24" overall), same part number(ZZ-LNFAXLE-S1). So now I am trying to figure out if I was shipped the correct axle with my kit.

But they say that The Driveshaft Shop now makes their axles. So if it turns out that a shorter axle is needed you might be able to sweet talk someone over there for a hook up on axles.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Thanks for the info. I already talked to ZZP and they do not want to sell the F40 conversion kit axles separate from the whole kit. I will communicate with the Driveshaft Shop to see if they have a recommendation and what they may be able to provide for purchase. I will also be doing some checking of my donor car axles with my F40 trans as soon as I get the chance and provide my findings to everyone here in this post.

Tinkles

I tried to mock up the F40 tonight, but it isn't going to happen by myself. But I did see if the top mount from ZZP would fit.

2 out of 3 holes line up perfectly. The 3rd one should be pretty easy to drill out.

It also looks like part of the mounting plate will have to be cut away to clear the shifter.

The mount is a factory GM part, not a custom milled item from ZZP.

I should have a friend or 2 stopping by next Saturday to help get the trans in.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Kyle, thanks for the update nd the photos, especially the mount. I will have to see if I can order the mount, since my F40 did not come with one.

Waterdriver

Goblin Guru
Thanks for the info. I already talked to ZZP and they do not want to sell the F40 conversion kit axles separate from the whole kit. I will communicate with the Driveshaft Shop to see if they have a recommendation and what they may be able to provide for purchase. I will also be doing some checking of my donor car axles with my F40 trans as soon as I get the chance and provide my findings to everyone here in this post.
A place to check with is Raxles.com. (800-257-8192) I believe they can build you whatever you spec out.

KLMOTORSPORTS

Here is the latest from Adam on my F40 install down at DF! The guys are doing some awesome work!

Ray is finishing up a chassis this afternoon or tomorrow morning and the jig will be open for F40 work. We're going to take a chassis that has been here for years and use it as our test piece. It has the engine and trans mounts from the first 20 or so cars. We'll cut those off and put the chassis on the main jig to weld on the new style engine mount. The trans mount will be left off.

Then we'll pull the chassis from the jig and mock up the engine with the F40 using the single engine mount and a Cobalt subframe with the front and rear solid mounts. That should let us get the engine and transmission in place so that we can use it as a guide to locate the new trans mount.

After that, we'll use that chassis to make a tool to use from now on to locate the F40 trans mount. Finally, your chassis will start going together.

Hope all of that made sense. I'll try to get Ray to take photos as he goes so that I can show you how it progresses.

l’ll post pics as I get them!

Ken

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
FANTASTIC!!! This will be a great modification for those who want to use the F40 trans with a higher horsepower engine. There are not enough words to express how responsive the DF team is to their customer's needs. There is NO other company I have dealt with in the last 20 years that puts this kind of dedication to their product and their customers as DF does. And a big thank you to you Ken for using your car as guinea pig so the rest of us following will have a much easier path to tread. Kudos all around and thank you again to all involved with this effort.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Kyle, so the LNF axles are the correct axles for both the drivers and passengers side? That will simplify things greatly if others plan to use the F40 transmission in their build.

KLMOTORSPORTS

FANTASTIC!!! This will be a great modification for those who want to use the F40 trans with a higher horsepower engine. There are not enough words to express how responsive the DF team is to their customer's needs. There is NO other company I have dealt with in the last 20 years that puts this kind of dedication to their product and their customers as DF does. And a big thank you to you Ken for using your car as guinea pig so the rest of us following will have a much easier path to tread. Kudos all around and thank you again to all involved with this effort.
Totally agree....can’t speak highly enough of the DF Team! Stellar to say the least and have been an absolute pleasure to work with!
Ken