Second Stage Photos and Questions

Adam

Administrator
Staff member
Until I get the second stage instructions written up, I'm going to use this thread to post photos and answer questions about stage 2.

RichN

I'm getting ready to paint the Cobalt front suspension and brake parts.
Does the spring get cut?
I had to cut the sway bar links off the struts, is the tab needed on the strut or can I grind it down before painting?

DSCN2989.JPG

Adam

Administrator
Staff member
The rear sway bar is optional. It'll make the rear a little looser which could be better for autocrossing but for road use it isn't necessary.

Start by cutting out half a round on each spring. Check the ride height and cut another round if it needs to be lower. The springs vary by year and model.

JSATX

Goblin Guru
Could we please get a few more pictures on how the brake lines connect to the calipers and hard lines on both front and back?

Adam

Administrator
Staff member
Could we please get a few more pictures on how the brake lines connect to the calipers and hard lines on both front and back?
I've added some more brake line photos. Let me know if they don't show what you need to see.

canyon bolieu

So what is the best way to set the adjusters when installing the control arms everyone has been different should I just run them all the way in and then the alignment guys will figure it out or is there a method?

Attachments

JSATX

Goblin Guru
My recommendation is get it eyeballed just referencing those threads. All the way in on top and about 4 turns out on bottom if I remember correctly.

Then take it to the shop. There's just no way to do it well without a proper rack.

RichN

I cut the tab for the sway bar link off. I'm assuming that is what the fenders bolted to. Guess I'll weld on new tabs.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
I'm getting ready to paint the Cobalt front suspension and brake parts.
Does the spring get cut?
I had to cut the sway bar links off the struts, is the tab needed on the strut or can I grind it down before painting?

View attachment 577
I thought my struts looked a bit rough. I'm thinking mine are fairly new now. Sorry, but you just made me feel better about the turd of a donor I have. :)

Andy

On the rear strut mount plates does that pocket face downwards? And do you reuse the bronze bushing that was on the original struts? I assume that is what site in that pocket.

JSATX

Goblin Guru
On the rear strut mount plates does that pocket face downwards? And do you reuse the bronze bushing that was on the original struts? I assume that is what site in that pocket.
I’m not sure what you’re asking. Does this help?
55DAB5DB-71EB-42FA-9A0E-A1A7CE615726.jpeg

Andy

On the black mounting plate, the hole for the strut shaft is counterbored i was asking if that counterbore is supposed to be on the bottom.

XJLIFE

7 months later but might help future people. I am basing this reply on the machined piece of the coil-overs I ordered through DFKitCar, I do believe that the counter-bored portion does in fact face downward.

Mayor West

Goblin Guru
There's a black piece of halved circle metal with a lil tab sticking out of it welded on included in the steering baggie, but I can't find pictures of it referenced anywhere - what's it for?

OptimizePrime

Goblin Guru
There's a black piece of halved circle metal with a lil tab sticking out of it welded on included in the steering baggie, but I can't find pictures of it referenced anywhere - what's it for?
It's to return your turn signal back to not blinking after making a turn.... forget the technical term for it.

benjy

@Mayor West can you post a picture of it? I’ve been trying to figure out how the turn signal cancels and it sounds like I’m just missing the part.