ECM

ccannx

Goblin Guru
Is there any procedure for diagnosing if your ECM is bad ? Also do the ECM's have to be calibrated to the VIN or VATS ?

I have a start but no run condition and I am starting to think somehow my ecm is bad. I cannot read it with HPTuners and their support is suggesting I have it re-flashed with a GM tech2 back to stock and then I would be able to communicate with it. Seems it would be more beneficial to buy another ECM then to pay someone to reflash it to a tune that will not work with the car as it sits.

Ross

Goblin Guru
Well, if you have already paid HP Tuners $100 to licence your ECM, you might want to buy your new ECM from someone who will flash it with your VIN, and thereby save re-licencing it with HPT. I think the key is also connected to the VIN number.

Update: these guys are cheaper...

Last edited:

ccannx

Goblin Guru
looks like ZZP will do it with the VIN for 109$ and a base tune but require the core back which makes sense. They specify by year so it may make a difference with the ECU : ZZP ecotec ECU

Ross

Goblin Guru
looks like ZZP will do it with the VIN for 109$ and a base tune but require the core back which makes sense. They specify by year so it may make a difference with the ECU : ZZP ecotec ECU
That's a great price. ZZP doesn't mention a VIN change on there website... they mention " We cannot change the VIN in this PCM ... For the seed key relearn, this is the procedure: " The one vendor also specified by year.

ccannx

Goblin Guru
That's a great price. ZZP doesn't mention a VIN change on there website... they mention " We cannot change the VIN in this PCM ... For the seed key relearn, this is the procedure: " The one vendor also specified by year.
Your right I didn’t catch that “VIN cannot be changed is LSJ ECU “ I assumed since they asked for the VIN in the order form they could, glad I didn’t order yet. I will call them Monday and talk to a rep about it.

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member
We have changed ECMs many times, the only thing you have to do is the 30 minute key re-learn each time you change ECMs.

ccannx

Goblin Guru
I got a new ECM programmed for my VIN. The next step is swapping it out but I'm concerned about damaging my engine running g it on a base tune. This motor has 60lb injectors and a 3.1 pulley so it has to be tuned but I have no way to pull the file. I'm not sure if the next thing I should do is find a similar setup and go from there or just drag the car to a tuner.

Ross

Goblin Guru
Is the old ECM working? If so, I could pull the tune with HP Tuners, or I can download a similiar tune from the HP Tuners repository.
Uploading to your new ECM will require transferring your old HPT licence, or purchasing a $100 new 2 credit licence.

ccannx

Goblin Guru
The old ECM works but the tune cannot be pulled from it or at least it seems that way. HPtuners said it was most likely Trifecta tuned I purchased 2 credits to get the licence but have not used them yet.

Ross

Goblin Guru
There is a couple tunes that are close to yours, at https://www.hptuners.com/my-account/tunerepository/?

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt
Engine: 2.0 L4 - Manual
Submitted By: lovemy12seccobalt
S256, Hahn I/M, 3" cat/exh, 60lb inj, 38mm ext gate.MAF only, 7750rpm, zero adders, COT off, piston protection off, 91oct,

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt
Engine: 2.0 L4 - Manual
Submitted By: bumblebee
2.8in pulley,60lb inj,injen cai,dual pass, cobra he,header and down pipe,bkr8eix,78lb supertech springs,stage 2 cams,LDK piston and rods

ccannx

Goblin Guru
That first one looks like a turbo setup ? The second one has Cams Springs and different pistons but maybe that would work it would be rich.