KSLunsfo - Extended Track - '10 SS/TC

KSLunsfo

I guess it's finally time to start a build thread.... I went about the process a bit backwards from most. I placed an order on a kit before obtaining or even having a donor on the way.

I finally purchased and received a donor at the end of October (about 2 months after placing a kit order). A 2010 SS with 87,XXX miles, runs and drives, suffered a 'light' hit to the front. Car is G85 code (LSD) and has the RPD which is interesting but seems more limited than I was anticipating.

I have yet to start the tear down but have cranked the car a few different times and driven it a few feet here and there just in shuffling cars around. Oddly though, the last time I started the car up I almost immediately noticed a basket ball sized puddle in front of the driver's side rear tire. It was rapidly leaking fuel, this can't be a result of the accident as damage is limited to the front end. I haven't gotten far enough up under the car yet to tell exactly what's going on. Strange thing is that I've had the car running for as long as 15-20 minutes and haven't seen it do this any other time.

Early today stage 1 and larger stage 3 items were delivered! I spent a good part of the day unboxing everything, drying it all out (major rains yesterday) and finding nooks and crannies to store away everything until needed.

KSLunsfo

I decided to break this and the last post up into 2 separate posts.

Prior to receiving the kit, I've been doing/planning a few things to make my 2 car garage a bit more pleasant and efficient to work in. The 3 main things are getting it more organized while maximizing space, improving lighting and some decent form of heating as winter rolls in.

I recently installed 4 LED 4' lights that all chain together and plug into a 110 wifi outlet that I can control with an app on my phone, all 4 lights come on simultaneously. This makes a huge difference as the two following pictures were taken seconds apart. It would even be more noticeable if this was observed at night.

I have also been considering adding blown-in insulation into the attic since the garage was not already insulated. I have researched ways to insulate a garage door and may opt to do a temporary insulating job on it with a bunch of scrap bubble wrap from work, some cheap moving blankets I already had and some REALLY strong rare earth magnets I already had around, so basically for free. I've already experimented with this and it seems promising. The door will rarely be opened. Lastly, I've been back and forth on heater types, electric, propane or even natural gas since my hot water heater (natural gas) is located in the garage.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
The donor looks good, not sure about the sudden fuel leak. Rodents chewing on the lines?
The garage space looks great. Having a clean and open work area is very important and yours looks like you have everything needed to get started. make sure you have lots of shelves to store parts, LABEL EVERYTHING, and don't throw anything out until you are sure it is not needed.

Parson Green

I decided to break this and the last post up into 2 separate posts.

Prior to receiving the kit, I've been doing/planning a few things to make my 2 car garage a bit more pleasant and efficient to work in. The 3 main things are getting it more organized while maximizing space, improving lighting and some decent form of heating as winter rolls in.

I recently installed 4 LED 4' lights that all chain together and plug into a 110 wifi outlet that I can control with an app on my phone, all 4 lights come on simultaneously. This makes a huge difference as the two following pictures were taken seconds apart. It would even be more noticeable if this was observed at night.

View attachment 10809

View attachment 10810

I have also been considering adding blown-in insulation into the attic since the garage was not already insulated. I have researched ways to insulate a garage door and may opt to do a temporary insulating job on it with a bunch of scrap bubble wrap from work, some cheap moving blankets I already had and some REALLY strong rare earth magnets I already had around, so basically for free. I've already experimented with this and it seems promising. The door will rarely be opened. Lastly, I've been back and forth on heater types, electric, propane or even natural gas since my hot water heater (natural gas) is located in the garage.
Suggestion for a garage heater (puts out dry heat and plenty of it) (8KW translates to about 27K BTU):

KSLunsfo

Rodents chewing on the lines?
That could be a possibility...

Thanks, it's going to be a little cramped unfortunately. The pictures showing the frame with the eclipse in the background is more what it will be like and not the great open space it appears to be with no other car in there. Just can't let the eclipse sit outside haha. Heck, I may have to look into a storage option for the bike and lawn mower. I have a little space but too much junk on my shelves at the moment, but I know you're right on all that.

KSLunsfo

Suggestion for a garage heater (puts out dry heat and plenty of it) (8KW translates to about 27K BTU):
Thanks. That's interesting, I haven't seen a heater quite like that before. 27,000 BTUs would be pretty impressive for that. Have you used one personally?

Parson Green

Thanks. That's interesting, I haven't seen a heater quite like that before. 27,000 BTUs would be pretty impressive for that. Have you used one personally?
Have used one in a camper van with great success; toasty even when on a low setting; even on nights when the outside temp (F) drops into the mid teens. Lots of videos on youtube about these heaters. Lots of them get installed in Sprinter vans. In a
garage you'll need a 12v power source and a small exit hole for the exhaust pipe.

KSLunsfo

That white pickup and trailer sure do get around, don't they?!
Haha yea, they were telling me about some of their interesting recent experiences on the road. I think they are doing a good job at it. One of them said Adam is working to build them a new platform to allow them to transport 6 kits on the trailer! That would be 7 they could transport at one time.

KSLunsfo

Have used one in a camper van with great success; toasty even when on a low setting; even on nights when the outside temp (F) drops into the mid teens. Lots of videos on youtube about these heaters. Lots of them get installed in Sprinter vans. In a
garage you'll need a 12v power source and a small exit hole for the exhaust pipe.
Cool, I'll look further into it, sounds like a good option.

DCMoney

Goblin Guru
I have similar lights in my garage, 4' led, 5500 lumen, linkable. Put 7 in my 3 car and I can almost mow my front yard at night there's so much ight coming out of the garage. Makes it hard to work in other people's garages when you get use to so much light.

OptimizePrime

Goblin Guru
Look whos kits it is! It was a grizzly day out when they delivered mine prior to you guys. Talking to the guys, you actually aren't far from me

Another DSM owner - I used to have a 1Ga 2.4L, BC 280 cam, S257 turbo Eclipse GSX. After receiving this I can't say I miss it anymore

Stop driving her and get her torn down already!

KSLunsfo

Look whos kits it is! It was a grizzly day out when they delivered mine prior to you guys. Talking to the guys, you actually aren't far from me
Yeah I was hoping for a dry weekend for our delivery, I imagine it wasn't fun unloading in the rain. I think I'm only about an hour from Landon according to them.

Another DSM owner - I used to have a 1Ga 2.4L, BC 280 cam, S257 turbo Eclipse GSX. After receiving this I can't say I miss it anymore
Nice, you like the 280's? I have HKS 272s, they're just enough to tell she isn't stock at idle, aside from 3" straight/ no cat exhaust lol. I'm running an oversized billet HX40, cummins power haha.

Stop driving her and get her torn down already!
Right?! I need to dedicate a day and make it happen... My goal has been to strip it down in a day, leaving the sub-assemblies tear down for another day (stripping dash, components off the sub-frame etc.)

OptimizePrime

Goblin Guru
Nice, you like the 280's? I have HKS 272s, they're just enough to tell she isn't stock at idle, aside from 3" straight/ no cat exhaust lol. I'm running an oversized billet HX40, cummins power haha.
When I was building it I did a bunch of mods at the same time so it's tough to know the direct impact the BC cams made. I think if you have the 272's it's not enough to warrant a change, if you don't have meth already that may be your cheapest $ / hp. You using ECMLink? The HX35 and 40 are solid turbos man, I bet she's quick!

Right?! I need to dedicate a day and make it happen... My goal has been to strip it down in a day, leaving the sub-assemblies tear down for another day (stripping dash, components off the sub-frame etc.)
Since yours is a 2010 also it'll probably be relatively easy (knock on wood). There's some slight differences and steps left out in the videos bc you have a turbo manual but it was straightforward enough to figure out without much help. Two things come to mind off the top, for me it was easier to disconnect the exhaust at the o2 / dp side instead of the dp to catback bc of where the bolts were located. Next being the fuel filter / pump - they are one integrated piece in the tank and not separate. You'll also need to figure out how to take out the third pedal from the dash once you have it out as they don't go over that in the vids. Have fun!

Last edited:

KSLunsfo

When I was building it I did a bunch of mods at the same time so it's tough to know the direct impact the BC cams made. I think if you have the 272's it's not enough to warrant a change, if you don't have meth already that may be your cheapest $ / hp. You using ECMLink? The HX35 and 40 are solid turbos man, I bet she's quick!
Yeah 272's aren't a huge power adder from what I've heard, and similarly I made many changes at the same time when they were added. I don't have meth but have always thought about it. I'm running an AEM standalone, so sky's the limit!

Since yours is a 2010 also it'll probably be relatively easy (knock on wood). There's some slight differences and steps left out in the videos bc you have a turbo manual but it was straightforward enough to figure out without much help. Two things come to mind off the top, for me it was easier to disconnect the exhaust at the o2 / dp side instead of the dp to catback bc of where the bolts were located. Next being the fuel filter / pump - they are one integrated piece in the tank and not separate. You'll also need to figure out how to take out the third pedal from the dash once you have it out as they don't go over that in the vids. Have fun!
Thanks for the tips! This will be the first platform I've done extensive work on that wasn't a DSM haha.