Keyless Ignition

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Has anyone done away with their key system and just used push-to-start? I know some may ask why would you want to do away with the key, but I was thinking about doing away with the key and just using toggle switches for ignition, etc. Maybe add a secret interlock somewhere to keep other from just taking off with it.

If I had a diagram for the ignition, I know I could wire it up.

Adam

Administrator
Staff member
One thing you would encounter is the Passkey III vehicle anti-theft system:

Passkey III – transponder ignition key The Passkey III anti-theft system uses a transponder inside the head of the ignition key. The exciter inside the ignition lock cylinder energizes this transponder when the ignition switch is turned on. The transponder transmits a unique signature to the theft deterrent control module. If the key signature transmitted is acceptable to the theft deterrent control module, the theft deterrent control module will transmit fuel enable password to the PCM. If the fuel enable password is correct, the PCM will start the vehicle.
So you'd either need to figure out a way around this or just mount your ignition switch out of sight with the key still installed (and probably turned to the run position).

Adam

Administrator
Staff member
I just checked and it looks like there is a way to disable VATS with HP Tuners (at least on my 09 LS file).

VATS.PNG

I didn't know about that. Thanks for the info.

JSATX

Goblin Guru
I just checked and it looks like there is a way to disable VATS with HP Tuners (at least on my 09 LS file).

View attachment 1611

I didn't know about that. Thanks for the info.
This would be awesome. I'd rather have a push button start as well.

It would be great to get a running list of HPT mods that could be completed in one go by sending in the ECU.

I'm not talking about tuning the thing, just turning off error codes like 2nd O2,VATs, basic stuff like that.

SliderR1

I've been watching YouTube videos trying to learn as much as possible about HPTuners. HPT seems to have a VERY robust list of items that can be switched off/on for the SES light. However, I think it is very dependent on the style of ECU you are programming. I've got an LS swap project on my to do list, so I'm planning to take the plunge and get HP Tuners. Having said that, I will be able to answer your question for a 2005 SS SC ECU within a month or two. Their might be a list of available SES codes that can be disabled on the HPTuners forum or even CSS.net... I haven't specifically looked for it on either site yet.

One of the reasons I've been doing this research is that I've read on CSS.net that the LTFT tables freeze when the EVAP system is disconnected. This is going to make getting the VE tables tuned a little more difficult, if it is true. I'm hoping there is a way to turn off the EVAP and still keep the LTFT tables active in HPT. Please excuse my digression from original topic, but it is somewhat related...

TheNuker

Goblin Guru
I fixed my SES etc lights the easy way electrical tape over the light on the dash behind the face so it looks perfect LOL

Nuker-

JSATX

Goblin Guru
I fixed my SES etc lights the easy way electrical tape over the light on the dash behind the face so it looks perfect LOL

Nuker-
Hah I did that for the airbag but not the check engine. It's one of the (many) long term goals to
Get it running without triggering the CEL.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
One thing you would encounter is the Passkey III vehicle anti-theft system:

So you'd either need to figure out a way around this or just mount your ignition switch out of sight with the key still installed (and probably turned to the run position).
So there is VATS in this?:

Attachments

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
So there is VATS in this?:
VATS stands for Vehicle Anti-Theft System. The transponder located inside the key is one component of the vehicle theft deterrent system. You can tell you have a transponder key by the circled + sign towards the top of the actual key part.

DanPerryy

You can purchase keys online with the chips in them. Get the key cut to operate the mechanical switch. Use a door lock if necessary. Then you can get the ECM to read the new key - a 30 minute procedure. That key is then the "master". The procedure erases all previous keys from the ECM. With the new master key you can have the ECM learn up to 9 more keys. I have done this on my car. I wrote up something on this on the forum.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
VATS stands for Vehicle Anti-Theft System. The transponder located inside the key is one component of the vehicle theft deterrent system. You can tell you have a transponder key by the circled + sign towards the top of the actual key part.
I see that now. Thanks for the info. I would not have guessed it was in there.

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
This is the IT guy in me asking, but will disabling a couple of items labeled "patch" disable the entire underlying functionality? When I think of "patch", I think of something that sits on top of something else to modify its behavior.