E85?

Brian74

Goblin Guru
Is anyone currently or planning to tune for E85?

We have it here in AZ, but I hear it is no longer E85. Its more like a 51% ethanol blend. Is this common?

I've also noticed that the stations selling E85 are getting more and more scarce around here.

Thoughts?

Johvans

Yes sir! With the M62 blower on the LSJ it generates a lot of heat. E85 is almost a cooling modification in a sense because it takes a lot of heat out of the incoming air and allows more timing to be ran. More timing = more power. The blend's can vary depending on the time of year. I ran it in my DSM and saw it vary quite a bit (mid 40's to upper 70's were common). I had a flex fuel sensor/tune and it didn't effect anything because of it.

My nearest station is ~40 minutes away, but my wife works ~10mins away. I've already warned her that she will be picking up 20 gallons a week for the goblin. She just sighed and told me to make sure the containers wouldn't leak. ;):D

John

TheNuker

Goblin Guru
I've looked at E85, but I'm happier just having the much wider availability of 93 around here. Because if you are tuned for E85 and can't get some that's a problem.

There is a station maybe 5 miles from my work with E85 but.... Hassle.

Nuker-

Johvans

I've looked at E85, but I'm happier just having the much wider availability of 93 around here. Because if you are tuned for E85 and can't get some that's a problem.

There is a station maybe 5 miles from my work with E85 but.... Hassle.

Nuker-
FWIW I'm going to have mine tuned on 93 as a base and save the tune then drain the tank and tune for E85. Its only $200 more to get both tuned.

John

I'll be running some corn someday. It's all over here in PA. I need to find a type of flex fuel sensor system so no need to be switching tunes. But I have plenty of time to research.

Andy

I am going with 93 as well. E85 is available in my area but I am also concerned with availability it of my area also fuel mpg for a tank this small was one of my concerns since E85 uses 25-35% more fuel for the same power. I would like the extra power i could get, but I can do the same thing on 93 with a different blower.

Johvans

I am going with 93 as well. E85 is available in my area but I am also concerned with availability it of my area also fuel mpg for a tank this small was one of my concerns since E85 uses 25-35% more fuel for the same power. I would like the extra power i could get, but I can do the same thing on 93 with a different blower.
You might want to review this link: https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/2-0l-lsj-performance-tech-47/my-m62-e85-car-will-wax-floor-vs-most-tvs-cars-gasoline-190724/
https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/2-0l-lsj-performance-tech-47/my-m62-e85-car-will-wax-floor-vs-most-tvs-cars-gasoline-190724/
I will hopefully be going E85 TVS at some point to get the best of both!

TheNuker

Goblin Guru
That is interesting, I wonder what kinda IAT temps the M62 is doing with a 2.7" pully. I know that sucker really heats up under 2.9". I also guess that Tq is less of a factor on the Goblin because of weight. This winter I might go ahead and do stage 2 and I might reconsider E85, looking there is about 7 stations in the area that have it.

I guess the alternative is to order a 55gal drum of 110 and mix 50/50 with premium :D

Nuker-

Andy

I am going to run a 2.9" pulley on mine, could probably take a 2 .8" but it would drive the IAT up a lot for only a little more power. Could go to a 2 .8 of 2.7 with E85. Which I might do it more stations carry it and if the goblin is to slow. Just kidding.

Iwanttogofast

Does anyone know for sure if ALL of the fuel system components are okay for use with E85? I've heard of issues with other vehicles when people change to E85 & tune (when the vehicle was not originally a flex fuel vehicle). Seals, lines, etc.? I'm planning on doing an E85 conversion right off the bat. I will use HPTuners to do it, but want to make sure that the components will not fail in time due to the differences with E85. I'm also wondering if I should upgrade the fuel pump for the extra 30% of fuel necessary. Any help is greatly appreciated!!

r3drckt

Goblin Guru
I believe the fuel pump and the injectors are the only thing needing upgrade to support e85. I haven’t seen anything about the lines having an issue.

DCMoney

Goblin Guru
I am going to run a 2.9" pulley on mine, could probably take a 2 .8" but it would drive the IAT up a lot for only a little more power. Could go to a 2 .8 of 2.7 with E85. Which I might do it more stations carry it and if the goblin is to slow. Just kidding.
My IAT2 with a 2.8" and DF's stock cooling with for the M62 stay really warm compared to those with huge coolers. I have a 2.9" to try sometime, but I really just want to drive my goblin and stop working on it so much.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
My IAT2 with a 2.8" and DF's stock cooling with for the M62 stay really warm compared to those with huge coolers. I have a 2.9" to try sometime, but I really just want to drive my goblin and stop working on it so much.
WHAT?!? Stop tinkering with your Goblin? Next thing you know there will be a For Sale sign in the window! :p:p

Iwanttogofast

Any suggestions on an E85 fuel pump that will handle up to around 300-325HP in an E85 SC LSJ? I'd prefer plug and play, if possible...

TravMac

I'm using an AEM pump from ZZP. I think that's the go to around here for E85 builds. Should be able to support that power too I believe.