Texas Registration

Adam

Administrator
Staff member
We can only vouch for Texas but we got P1 registered with no problems. We are going to get P2 and another car registered soon. I'll document the process so other Texas residents can follow in our footsteps.

JSATX

Goblin Guru
So I just noticed P1 is a "custom vehicle" and P2 is a "street rod." Which one are we going to apply for? it appears the only difference is what year model the "replica" is made to represent.

"Custom Vehicle" is defined as a vehicle manufactured to resemble a vehicle that is at least 25 years old and of a model year after 1948; and has been altered from the manufacturer's original design or has a body constructed from materials not original to the vehicle.

"Street Rod" is defined as a vehicle that was manufactured before 1949; or after 1948 to resemble a vehicle manufactured before 1949; and has been altered from the manufacturer's original design, or has a body constructed from materials not original to the vehicle.

JSATX

Goblin Guru
I have begun the registration process. To put it very simply there are three steps.

1) certified public weight.
2) ASE master mechanic must preform general inspection.
3) take all completed forms to local tax office.

Here is the checklist I'm using.
---------------------------------------------
Initial Application for Texas Title:

If the customer is making initial application for title, the following must be submitted to title the replica vehicle:

• Ownership documents for each major component part (frame, motor and body)
  • Form VTR-61, Rebuilt Vehicle Statement
  • Verification of the serial number or VIN of each major component part (frame, motor and body). Acceptable verifications include pencil tracing or Form VTR-68-A.
  • Certified weight certificate
  • Completed Form 130-U, Application for Texas Certificate of Title
  • Three photos of the replica (front, rear, one side) and one photo of the motor vehicle that it resembles
  • Proof of liability insurance
----------------------------------------------

And here is a list of what they will inspect.

Vehicle Inspection – Applicable items listed below must be inspected
☐ Vehicle Identification (VIN), Serial, or Assigned TEX Number
☐ Structural Integrity of Frame and Welds
☐ Turn Signal Lamps (Beginning with 1960 models)
☐ Beam Indicator (Beginning with 1948 models)
☐ Head Lamps (Minimum of 2)
☐ Tail Lamps (2) (1 on replica vehicles 1959 model & earlier)
☐ Stop Lamps (2) (1 on replica vehicles 1959 model & earlier)
☐ Rear Red Reflector (2)
☐ Mirror
☐ Motor
☐ Windshield Wipers
☐ Brakes – Service (Parking, beginning 1960 models)
☐ Fuel Supply System
☐ Exhaust System
☐ Drivetrain
☐ License Plate Lamp
☐ Wheels and Tires
☐ Steering
☐ Seat Belts
☐ Other

DanPerryy

Lonny and Adam registered theirs in Ellis county. I suppose you are in Travis county. I am in Hays County. I don't think that all those items were inspected in Ellis county, they have no emergency brakes on theirs for sure. Travis county may be more thorough.

Hays (my) county will be more like Ellis county hopefully. If Hays county gives any indication of a painful registration process (I don't imagine they will, they don't even have a county building code or emission testing requirement) I was thinking I would register mine in Ellis county then transfer it to my county.

Getting close to starting registration process. I was going to get my hood on (and front lights) before attempting to register.

JSATX

Goblin Guru
Lonny and Adam registered theirs in Ellis county. I suppose you are in Travis county. I am in Hays County. I don't think that all those items were inspected in Ellis county, they have no emergency brakes on theirs for sure. Travis county may be more thorough.

Hays (my) county will be more like Ellis county hopefully. If Hays county gives any indication of a painful registration process (I don't imagine they will, they don't even have a county building code or emission testing requirement) I was thinking I would register mine in Ellis county then transfer it to my county.

Getting close to starting registration process. I was going to get my hood on (and front lights) before attempting to register.
I was also thinking about taking it to they guy who did theirs. I just don't want to have to deal with transferring it to my county. Im not really sure you would have to though. I think any inspection anywhere in Texas would be ok.

I have all my lights done. Just no body. I am assuming at this point that I wont have a body for at least several weeks. And I really dont want to wait that long to start the registration process.

JSATX

Goblin Guru
Well I have completed the inspection stage and got it weighed.

The inspection was extremely simple and honestly had me worried for no reason. However I will say you can expect that to vary a lot depending on the individual that does it.

I took mine to the shop near DFs location because they had used this shop successfully so far. The guy walked out with the checklist form VTR-852 available online. He quickly glanced at the list and checked off each item while walking around the car.

He did ask about a parking brake. You'll want to write "1958 replica - not applicable" or something similar in that box so they don't bug you. Also wrote not applicable under windshield wipers.

I did this with no body panels and no windshield.

DanPerryy

Link to Texas Legislature Instructions to County Tax Assessor-Collectors (the ones that do the registration in Texas) as of Feb 21 2014 - http://www.txdmv.gov/registration-and-title-bulletins/2014-03-03-21-00-36/001-14
Link to Download of ALL Texas Forms - See Title and Registration - VTR-61 Rebuilt Vehicle Statement and VTR-852 -http://www.txdmv.gov/forms/

Click on the attachments to download the pdf of the forms

This is a link to ASE Certified Automotive Technicians (very much incomplete I am told by an ASE master mechanic) http://www.ase.com/Landing-Pages/Car-Owners/Find-a-Repair-Shop/Shop-Locator.aspx

Checklist - Instructions
http://www.txdmv.gov/registration-and-title-bulletins/2012/004-12

Attachments

Last edited:

DanPerryy

I visited an ASE certified master mechanic (on the list) today. Firstly we need to "title" our vehicles as a 1957 Lotus 7 replica (the first production year). The owner of the shop at Oak Hill in Austin told me that for Travis county (emissions requirements) he is NOT allowed to fill out the form VTR-852 per instruction from the DPS office in Austin. I chose 1957 due to parking brake. I did not have the car with me and he did not know about the brake issue but he told me that a vehicle titled as 1996 or later required emissions in Travis county.

I will try to get a Hays county ASE mechanic to fill out my VTR-852.

DanPerryy

Mine is not registered yet but I think I have it all sorted out. In Texas we need to submit pictures of the car - front, side and rear views as well as the car it is replicating. I wanted to title mine as a 1957 Lotus 7 Replica. My biggest mistake was that I used a picture of my actual car with just the hood (bonnet) on it without side panels. As mine has a full roll cage it looks like a dune buggy or off-road vehicle. I talked to the Texas DMV main office and showed a completed picture of a car (Dennis') and they said that looks like it will work. Now I need to finish up stage 3.

JSATX

Goblin Guru
For other Texans:

My title was suspended because in the "make" section of the title application the lady at the DMV entered "DFKC" and that doesn't exist as a valid make. It needs to be ASVE.

In hindsight I knew this. But was too stressed out while sitting there going though the paperwork to catch it haha. So I have to send it back and get an amended one. Oh well.

IMG_7658.JPG

Bretter

I have seen some logs where the state needs to see the donor/VIN or something along those lines. I don't think that is true for Texas, correct? So in other words, I can get rid of the remaining donor pieces/scrap the shell when done? No need to keep it around in my limited space?

JSATX

Goblin Guru
On one of the forms you will be required to write down the donor vin. You don’t have to show proof of ownership as far as I know but I brought a copy of my donor title and would recommend you do the same.

It’s only like $5 to transfer a salvage title in Texas so if you haven’t it’s worth it.