Build Guide Part 23 - Front Suspension

Matt TT

Anyone have any advice for getting the wheel hubs into the uprights? I can't seem to fit them with the ABS plug receiver on the back side and I destroyed it to the point it wont even turn anymore when I tried to get it to sit flush. Thanks!

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Anyone have any advice for getting the wheel hubs into the uprights? I can't seem to fit them with the ABS plug receiver on the back side and I destroyed it to the point it wont even turn anymore when I tried to get it to sit flush. Thanks!
I might have helped to heat the spindle in the oven to 200-250 and freeze the hubs overnight in the freezer. Might have dropped right in. Also clean the heck out of the corrosion on the inside. Mine was corroded and pitted so bad.

TomsGarage

I had to grind down the plastic ABS connector, once I did that had no problem fitting in. This is with 2008 SS hubs

RichN

I removed the ABS plug on mine and replaced with trailer caps. Had to grind down the lip a little to fit, see my build log page 2 post 34

Tony

The connector sticks out from a sort of "puck" of plastic. If you cut/grind (I used a sawzall) it off flush with that "puck" it works just fine.
upload_2017-10-27_13-56-9.png

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
If you grind the whole connector off flush with that puck looking thing, you'll be left with a rectangular hole. I ruined both of my old hubs by doing this. I found that you can only go down to about 1/8" or so of the connector sticking up before you start breaking through. I hope that's enough to clear the steering arms.

Last edited:

Tony

If you grind the whole connector off flush with that puck looking thing, you'll be left with a rectangular hole. I ruined both of my old hubs by doing this. I found that you can only go down to about 1/8" or so of the connector sticking up before you start breaking through. I hope that's enough to clear the steering arms.
I wonder if there are different versions then... I cut mine that way, and there was a rectangular hole, but it didn't go all the way through to anything... just kind of a hollow.

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
I could see the reluctor ring for the ABS sensor through that hole. They probably would have been fine, but I didn't like the idea of having dirt or whatever finding its way to the bearing underneath all that.

Matt TT

I wonder if there are different versions then... I cut mine that way, and there was a rectangular hole, but it didn't go all the way through to anything... just kind of a hollow.
After talking with Adam this week, there are two different types. The one Tony has pictured above are the ones you can saw off the connector and will fit. They are distinguishable by a shorter black. plastic hub.

TomsGarage

Yup I just cut mine, and then sealed it with silicon