Johvans - City Goblin - 07 SS donor

Johvans

Hi All!

My name is John and I'm anxiously awaiting my city goblin!

I've owned quite a few cars (Miata, MR2's, CRX) and bikes (GSXR's, Ninjas, a Hayabusa) and have always wanted to build a kit car. I was looking at the FF 818 for awhile when I stumbled upon the Goblin. I had seen a build log over on GRM awhile ago and after doing quite a bit of research and talking to Adam decided to pull the trigger. I am in Texas so it made the decision a little easier being a stones throw away!

After talking to Adam he steered me towards a 07 SS donor that was listed on copart and was auctioning off a few days after we talked. I won and am currently awaiting delivery. It only had 83k miles and it was a hail damage car. It looks to have a modified exhaust/wheels & tires/ and a good interior and the only things that look hail damaged are the roof/hood/trunk. So I am hopeful I am able to recoup some of the money by selling the interior/body panels/wheels/exhaust/ etc. I've already received the title and had the local GM dealer cut me a key for the car! ($60 later..)

Time for pictures!

I plan on using the Goblin as a weekend car, doing some autocross and track days here and there but mainly as a purely fun car to have fun with. I am interested to see if the donor has any work to it (pulley/injectors/etc.) just based off of some of the pictures. I'd like to get it into the goblin as is and may upgrade it to a stage 2 car in the future. A friend of mine had an 05 SS with some things done and it was a really fun car, I can't wait to see what it would feel like in a Goblin!

I am super impressed with Adam and his dad and the jigs/fixtures/and cnc tooling they've developed for the car, and I look forward to working with them and the community on the car!

Thanks everyone!

John

rallyracer

Nice find!!

Did you happen to notice if it has the G85 package (LSD)?

I have an SS/SC as well. You should upgrade to the GM stage 2 kit...hell, maybe just jump up to the GM stage 3.

Have you already ordered your DFkit?

Johvans

Nice find!!

Did you happen to notice if it has the G85 package (LSD)?

I have an SS/SC as well. You should upgrade to the GM stage 2 kit...hell, maybe just jump up to the GM stage 3.

Have you already ordered your DFkit?
I have to thank Adam for telling me about it!

I did not. From what I understand there is a sticker in the trunk that shows whether it is or not? I have also read conflicting information that said all '07 year SS's came with LSD's? I can't seem to confirm this either way.

Haha I just want to get the thing running first as is and go from there!

I have!

TheNuker

Goblin Guru
I have to thank Adam for telling me about it!

I did not. From what I understand there is a sticker in the trunk that shows whether it is or not? I have also read conflicting information that said all '07 year SS's came with LSD's? I can't seem to confirm this either way.

Haha I just want to get the thing running first as is and go from there!

I have!
Yeah I have also read several places that state the 07 SS LSJ has the LSD standard, But I have no idea...

Nuker-

rallyracer

Was the G85 package available without the Recaro seats?
Yes, only in 2007. They gave you regular seat, but heated instead of nice Recaro's :(

If you have heated seats, be sure to still check for the G85 on the trunk sticker. Some guys traded for the warmer seats.

Justinreed7

I like anything that goes fast
Nice buy! LSJ is the best donor for the goblin in my opinion. You can easily tell if it's lsd by looking at the transmission tag on the tranny. It'll say LSD in bold letters if it is. The tag is right on top of the transmission in view from looking under the hood

Johvans

Thanks! I'd agree!! Got the car delivered last night and got the key programmed and the car running up and down the street. Only problem is it's got a full tank of gas. Any easy ways to empty the fuel tank? Disconnect a line at the rail and run it into my truck tank?

It is not a g85/lsd car and from talking with Adam I think that isn't a bad thing.

The car is in good shape save for the million glass fragments in EVERYTHING from when the hail blew out the window. First step is a good vaccuum and to remove the seats/interior, I've got a buyer lined up locally for the interior.

Looking forward to starting the process!

smithvmi

Get (rent) a fuel pressure kit from autozone and hook up to the Schrader valve on the fuel rail. Search google for a detailed set of instructions on how to replace your gas tank and it will go thru the steps to drain it. Siphoning won't work as there is a defeat device.

I drained mine by drilling a hole. I am not a patient man.

Johvans

Get (rent) a fuel pressure kit from autozone and hook up to the Schrader valve on the fuel rail. Search google for a detailed set of instructions on how to replace your gas tank and it will go thru the steps to drain it. Siphoning won't work as there is a defeat device.

I drained mine by drilling a hole. I am not a patient man.
http://www.cobaltss.net/forums/how-guide-43/how-drain-tank-269262/ I'll leave this here for anyone else that may need it.
Weld that diff lol can't be one wheel peelin everywhere!
Haha after a discussion with Adam I think its going to remain open. From what he said and I remember reading somewhere the Lsd in a this drivetrain configuration can cause some funny handling issues..

Silverback

I had a Quaife torque-sensing limited slip differential in my old (RWD) Caterham Super 7 that is similar to the G85 LSD in some Cobalts. Smooth and progressive, it significantly cut my autocross times. The only drawback was if one rear wheel was in the air, the wheel on the ground was not driven. With a stiff RWD chassis and good suspension set-up, that's not likely to be a problem. On a FWD car, I suspect that there could be some serious handling issues once a front wheel gets air at WOT. Of course, YMMV.

Last edited:

JeffsGoblin

Goblin Guru
I realized I've been really bad at keeping this updated.. I'll probably go back through and upload everything in order with notes.

Finally got to another milestone this weekend.
Yes, please do go back and upload your notes with pictures. I think we all love seeing the progress and pictures always are great!

Johvans

Where’d ya go?? Let’s get a turbo update!
I'll graduate with my MBA this summer, its been taking a lot of time. The whole title/registration revoking debacle kinda took the last wind out of the sales.

I'll get going on it again once there is a proven plan to have them street legal in Texas, hopefully by the time I graduate there will be a solution.

John

Johvans

I guess its time to update this!

With the whole titling/revocation issue it was hard to get motivated to work on it. I ended up getting a ride along with a friend and got hooked...

I'm ~10 hours away from my check ride and with the registration/titling bills being passed in Texas I plan to get back into it hot and heavy.

I've been talking with Justin Reed (Justinreed7) and plan to fly him out to Texas to help with the powertrain install (our setups are very similar).

This is how the car currently sits.

Powertrain and parts..

After so long its good to see some light at the end of the tunnel!!

Attachments