Quick Release Steering Wheel

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
Any input from those who have mounted a quick release? Brand and model? How much length does it add? Anything you would do different and for what reason? I am looking at this option to aid in entry and exit.

George

Goblin Guru
I am using the NRG. There are pictures on my blog somewhere also picture of how to move the steering wheel forward if you want.

Brad

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Any have the NRG part number for the quick release hub, etc? To make sure I get the right one.

Last edited:

JSATX

Goblin Guru
I'm confused on this and can't really find good information. Does this https://www.amazon.com/Steering-Wheel-Quick-Release-Carbon/dp/B00BXWIET8 press on to the steering shaft and then the wheel bolt to this release?

Why is theeulogy needing an adapter? So we need both items to get the Goblin wheel to work? How much farther does the adapter push it into your chest?

When looking for a quick release, what should we be looking for to know that it will work with our Goblin setup, the shaft size, the bolt pattern?

Until I order one, it's hard to figure out what all is going on and then it's too late to find out you ordered the wrong stuff.
DF supplies an adapter that goes on the cobalt steering shaft and converts it to 3bolt.

Then you need a 3 bolt to 6 bolt conversion plate available on eBay.

Then the NRG adapter bolts to the 6 hole plate.

There’s a picture on #149 of my thread.

George

Goblin Guru
It take four parts to make it work an adapter to fit the Cobalt steering shaft. The quick rear hub, the quick release portion and then the steering wheel. The part you listed is the quick release adapter, you need the adapter for a Cobalt so that you can attach this to the steering shaft then a steering wheel

theeulogy

DF supplies an adapter that goes on the cobalt steering shaft and converts it to 3bolt.

That is exactly how I am doing it, but have to wait for the adapter to come from Hong Kong. The 3 to 6 bolt adapter will go in place of the DF supplied steering wheel.

Briann1177

Goblin Guru

Maybe I did something wrong when I installed my steering wheel, but I didn't use the DF supplied 3-bolt adapter. NRG sells a short hub adapter ($139) that fits right over the steering shaft and you use the existing 19 mm nut to hold it down. From there you can either install a quick release adapter or install the steering wheel directly.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NRG-STEERING-WHEEL-SHORT-HUB-ADAPTER-FIT-05-10-CHEVY-COBALT-03-07-CADILLAC-CTS/391864838091?fits=Model:Cobalt&hash=item5b3cf6e7cb:g:KHwAAOSw9C5Zk6IH

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
I figured it all out. I was wanting to do it like Brian1177. I just wasn't crazy about the Goblin hub, then an adaptor, then the quick change, then an adaptor, then the steering wheel.

If I do it, it's going to be:

https://www.amazon.com/NRG-Innovations-SRK-177H-Hub-Adapter/dp/B008FT5ZLW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1526737321&sr=8-1&keywords=SRK-177H&dpID=41185c8i93L&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch
short hub.jpg

Then:

https://www.amazon.com/NRG-Innovations-SRK-250BK-Release-Grooves/dp/B001AM1PHY/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1526757231&sr=1-1&keywords=SRK-250BK&dpID=41Qru8z6EeL&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch
quick release.jpg

Then a new 6 bolt steering wheel.

Problem is that it still adds 3" of length to the steering shaft. There is a discontinued 1.25 version, but I'm not 100% sure it will work with the hub adaptor.

And there are so many steering wheels out there to choose from! All in, it will be about $300-$500 for all of it (depends much on the steering wheel).

theeulogy

I went with a new NRG 6 bolt steering wheel, so I only need 1adapter. It had the advantages of having a built in horn button also.
20180518_145223.jpg

So the quick release mounts directly on the steering wheel.
20180518_145229.jpg

But I have to wait for the adapter to get me from the 3 bolt steering hub to the quick release. Untill then I'll have to climb around the wheel.

Last edited:

AleX1/9

I went splines to DF 3 bolt to eBay/China 3-6 bolt adapter with almost no dish momo wheel

The steering wheel feels close already! I think I’ll eventually get the “slim” NRG quick release as a compromise for security and ease of entry/exit

Someone post driving position with cobalt spline to 6 bolt adapter to full size quick release how close are you to the wheel?

theeulogy

I have the extended chasis, and sit back a ways. With the DF provided setup, the wheel felt a little far away.