Nate - Track Goblin - 2008 Cobalt Donor

JSATX

Goblin Guru
I just noticed nothing else on the dash is lit up. That should not be the case. Even if the VATs is a problem you should still get information on the display and the fuel gauge should activate etc

DanPerryy

Justin is right. I would suspect the communication lines have a disconnect somewhere as so many other things are not working.

I think most of the dash is controlled by the communication lines but that would mean that it only took 4-5 wires to the dash, ground, power, the two lines in the twisted pair, and possibly the low speed comm line. The dash connector has several other wires, probably for singular purposes (lighting one light). I don't have the shop manual but you could look and see what all the wires are.

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member
Do you have the big red fused wire running from the battery to the ECM? Also check the big fuse.
Make sure all of the fuse box plugs pulled up into position.
Does anything click when you turn the key to the start position?
You can remove the starter relay and jumper across the power terminals to make sure you have good power going to the fuse box.

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
I forgot to plug in the BCM power wire before and I also got the security light on. However I also got a lot of other goofy indications on the information center like power steering.

It's easy to forget so it's worth a check.

Nate

Still had same security lock, I did happen to miss a couple of grounds and one of my blocks wasn't completely seated. Now I am able to crank the engine by jumping the starter relay manually but still just getting the security light on the instrument cluster, nothing else. That same light stays on whenever the battery is connected, even without the key in the ignition. The ignition switch and the BCM are from an 08 donor and the ECM and TCM are from an 09 donor as is the engine. I guess the biggest question is if the BCM, ECM, TCM, and ignition switch have to be all from the same car, or maybe same year? How do we get the ignition switch is able to relay signals to all the computers, if even the ignition that is the problem?

I'm thinking it is a computer issue because we have power to the back and can manually crank.

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
You would think that most model GMs would be Passkey III--or whatever they use--compliant. So I'm not really sure it matters what year the BCM and ECM are from. I'm leaning towards what Justin and Dan mentioned with your wiring. I believe the module on your ignition switch uses a green low speed GMLAN wire. That wire connects to a variety of other things such as your gauge panel, BCM, door lock receiver, and maybe even your power steering control module.

I'd start by checking continuity between all those different endpoints.

JSATX

Goblin Guru
I’ll go out tonight and just start unplugging things to see if I can mimic your problem. I know they changed the ECU from 08 to 09 but pretty sure BCM is the same.

Brian74

Goblin Guru
I’ll have to check the manual when I get home but I believe all the passkey does is inhibits fuel from the injectors but will allow crank & ignition signal.

Not sure if a different BCM ECM will cause issues in 08-09 because generally everything is the same between those years, but I wouldn’t fully rule that out yet because the BCM does do some sort of handshake with the ECM and if software versions or possibly serial #’s do not match between the two they might not get along.

Edit:
A few places I’ve read say the VIN is preprogrammed into the BCM & ECM and they will not work without reprogramming with a TechII. I now remember this was the reason I ordered a matching ECM & BCM from the same car through LKQ.

Last edited:

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Edit:
A few places I’ve read say the VIN is preprogrammed into the BCM & ECM and they will not work without reprogramming with a TechII. I now remember this was the reason I ordered a matching ECM & BCM from the same car through LKQ.
This is what I remember reading somewhere and stuck with me.

Here are some notes as I research this more:

Circuit Description
Moving the ignition switch to the start position signals the body control module (BCM) through discrete inputs from the ignition transducer that engine crank has been requested. The BCM verifies that theft is not active and sends a serial data message to the engine control module (ECM) requesting engine start. The ECM receives a ground signal from the park/neutral position (PNP) switch or a signal from the clutch pedal position sensor notifying that it is safe to start the engine. Ground G105 supplies ground for the CRNK relay coil. The starter relay coil control circuit is then supplied voltage by the ECM closing the switch in the starter relay suppling 12 volts from the CRNK fuse to terminal A of the starter. Ground is supplied to the starter solenoid through the engine block.

Body Control Module Programming and Setup
A new body control module (BCM) must be programmed with the proper regular production option (RPO) configurations. The BCM stores the information regarding the vehicle options and if the BCM is not properly configured with the correct RPO codes the BCM will not control all of the features properly. The Tech 2 software will automatically prompt you with the various RPOs available for the vehicle. Ensure that the following conditions exist in order to prepare for BCM programming:

1. This entire procedure has been reviewed before starting

2. The battery is fully charged.

3. A CANdi module is installed between the vehicle and the scan tool.

4. The ignition switch is in the ON position.

5. The data link connector (DLC) is accessible.

6. All disconnected modules and devices are reconnected before programming.
BCM Programming

NOTE
Note

Use extreme care when verifying both the VIN and Odometer reading that is set in the service BCM. Once the VIN and Odometer are set in the replacement BCM it is impossible to change them, and if there is a mismatch, the part will be rendered useless.

To setup a new replacement BCM select Vehicle Control Systems, then select the applicable options, then select Module Setup, then select Body Control Module, then select BCM Setup on the scan tool. After the setup procedure it is necessary to perform the Remote Start setup procedure, if equipped, and brake pedal position (BPP) Sensor Calibration procedure. Refer to the Importants below for further information.

If the BCM fails to accept the program, perform the following steps:

• Inspect all BCM connections.

• Verify that the scan tool has the latest software version.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
More information that might be useful:

Theft Deterrent Module Programming and Setup (N. America except Canada)
Theft Deterrent Module Programming and Setup (N. America except Canada)
Because of how vehicle key information and theft deterrent passwords are stored within the theft deterrent module (TDM), the Set Up a New Theft Deterrent Module (TDM) Using Existing Keys procedure must be performed prior to the removal and replacement of the TDM if the vehicle keys are being reused. If the scan tool is unable to communicate with the TDM or is otherwise unable to extract this information from the TDM, the vehicle keys must be replaced.

Set Up a Theft Deterrent Module (TDM) Using Existing Keys

NOTE
Important

Use this procedure only if replacing the theft deterrent module (TDM) using the existing vehicle keys.

This procedure must be performed prior to the removal and replacement of the TDM if the vehicle keys are being reused. Performing the setup procedure first allows the scan tool to extract the key information and passwords from the old TDM prior to its removal. Failure to perform this step will result in the failure to learn the existing vehicle keys and new vehicle keys will be required when replacing the TDM.

Do not use the scan tool for any other programming operations while performing this procedure. Doing so will erase the stored data retrieved from the original TDM and cause the set-up to fail.

1. Connect a scan tool to the vehicle in the pass-thru arrangement.

2. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.

3. Ensure that all power consuming devices are turned OFF on the vehicle.

4. On the Techline Terminal, select Service Programming System and follow the Techline Terminal on-screen instructions. Ensure the correct programming selection is chosen based on component being replaced or programmed. For this procedure, go to the V.T.D. Vehicle Theft Deterrent Learn menu and choose the Prepare Module For TDM Setup Procedure selection.

5. At this point the scan tool must remain connected for the duration of the 10-minute relearn procedure.

6. NOTE
    Important
    • The scan tool will initially display 12 Minutes. The first 2 minutes allow the scan tool to initialize the appropriate control module. The remaining 10 minutes is the relearn timer.

• On some vehicles the security indicator may be illuminated for the duration of the 10-minute relearn procedure.

Observe the scan tool, after approximately 10 minutes the scan tool will display “Programming Successful, Turn OFF Ignition”.

7. With a scan tool, select Theft Deterrent Module in the Vehicle Control Systems Module Setup data list.

8. Select Step 1.

9. Select Use Existing Keys.

10. Follow the scan tool on-screen instructions. The scan tool will then display Replace Module Per Service Manual. At this time, replace the TDM.

11. After the new TDM has been installed, using the scan tool, select Step 2 and follow the on-screen instructions.
Programming Immobilizer System Components

After the TDM has been set up using the above procedure, the ECM and TDM must learn the new fuel continue password. To learn the new password, perform the Immobilizer System Component Programmingprocedure.

Set Up a Theft Deterrent Module (TDM) Using New Keys

NOTE
Important

Use this procedure only if replacing the TDM using new vehicle keys.

The TDM must be replaced prior to beginning this procedure.

NOTE
Note

If keys cannot be learned to the theft module after replacing the TDM and keys with new parts and 0 keys show learned in the new TDM, the following recommendation may apply.

• If there is no communication with the original TDM all keys must be replaced with new keys (no original keys can be reused). DO NOT attempt New TDM Setup with the scan tool and DO NOT SPS program the new TDM. .

• Install the new TDM, insert the first new key and rotate the key to the run position monitoring the security lamp (it will flashes off then back on) cycle the ignition off and remove and reinsert the key then turn it back to run.

• With the scan tool verify one key shows learned. After verifying the key is learned perform a 30 Minute VTD relearn with the learned key and after the 30 VTD minute learn is completed the additional new keys can be learned with the quick learn method.

1. With Scan Tool
  2. Connect a scan tool to the vehicle.

3. With a new, unlearned, vehicle key, turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.

4. With a scan tool, select Theft Deterrent Module in the Vehicle Control Systems Module Setup data list.

5. Select Step 1.

6. Select Use New Keys.

7. Follow the scan tool on-screen instructions.

1. Without Scan Tool
  2. With a new, unlearned, vehicle key, turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.

3. Observe the security indicator. After approximately 10 minutes, the telltale will turn OFF.

4. Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds.

5. Repeat steps 1–3 two more times for a total of 3 cycles or 30 minutes.

6. NOTE
    Important

The engine controller learns the fuel continue password on the ignition switch transition from OFF to RUN. You must turn the ignition OFF before attempting to start the vehicle.

Start the vehicle. The ECM has learned the fuel continue password.

7. If additional keys are required to be learned, refer to Adding Keys.
Programming Immobilizer System Components

After the TDM has been set up using one of the above procedure, the ECM and TDM must learn the new fuel continue password. To learn the new password, perform the Immobilizer System Component Programming procedure.

Nate

So we have some progress, turns out as I was cleaning up the front I found that the BCM ground was not grounded. I still only have the VATS light indication on my instrument cluster but the dash does light up, which it wasn't doing yesterday. There is also clicking at the main fuse panel, which means that there is some sort of communication going on. No additional lighting on the instrument cluster

Nate

Here is some of the cleaning I have been doing to the front of the vehicle:

Before:
IMG_4713.PNG

IMG_4715.PNG

IMG_4717.PNG

After:
IMG_4714.PNG

IMG_4716.PNG

IMG_4718.PNG

Nate

I have been doing a lot of work on my dash lately as well as completely revamping my wiring in the car to give it an overall much cleaner look. I've decided to go away with the instrument cluster from my donor and design a whole new dash for the car. It's still in the wooden prototype stage but here is my progress:

New steering wheel along with powered off dash:
IMG_0012.JPG

IMG_0013.JPG

Here is the lighting that is incorporated with the dash when powered:
IMG_0017.JPG

IMG_0018.JPG

The center section of the dash is to be the location of a hard mounted iPad mini. I have recently purchased an AutoMeter Dashlink which I will be using for my gauge package as I think it will tie in nicely to have digital displays. Besides the 8 switches I also have a dual USB port (one of which will stay connected to the iPad to keep it powered), a 12V charger, and a voltmeter (located on the lefthand side of the steering wheel).

I have also gotten rid of the ignition cluster and wired in a push button starter:
Screen Shot 2018-06-23 at 6.07.49 PM.png

^ I had to screenshot a video so sorry for the poor quality (wouldn't let me upload the full video file)

My father and I have always tried to think of a way to wire the car that would eliminate many of the unnecessary items that come with the cobalt donor harness. After long consideration (especially after working for a good chunk of time on cleaning up my donor harness), I have gone away with all of the wiring and converted to a stand alone harness in my vehicle. I have to say it looks very clean:
IMG_0022.JPG

With the above wiring configuration I was able to eliminate the large bulky fuse box as well as BCM in the front to stream line the wiring both physically and aesthetically.

Instead of the BCM, I just have a simple fuse box that will be incorporated into my dash to power switches and other dash accessories (a lot of work but I believe it looks the part):
IMG_0014.JPG

I have also installed a set of Kickers to the battery terminals to give me the ability to easily wire into the battery:
IMG_0026.JPG

More to come!
Nate

Nate

I used the Yakamoz DC12V 22mm button. With the stand alone harness the ignition (and three plugs) is no longer needed so I just needed to use a momentary to signal the starter @JSATX

dperkins

Love the simplified look. Might try to do that if I ever get some down time in which nothing else can be done :rolleyes:.

I have always wanted to have a single pushbutton starter on this like a new car but I cannot think of a good way to have the button but still need some verification like a wireless key. Does yours not require a key anymore?

Nate

Yeah there is no need for a key anymore because the new harness doesn't contain any wiring for the cobalt ignition. It just needs a simple connection to the starter, which the momentary switch takes care of. @dperkins

Brian74

Goblin Guru
Have you confirmed you’ll be able to do a VATS disable? Also curious how the ECM will handle not having any data between the BCM; I think some of the OBD 2 data comes through the BCM.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Have you confirmed you’ll be able to do a VATS disable? Also curious how the ECM will handle not having any data between the BCM; I think some of the OBD 2 data comes through the BCM.
I would think he would need to do a VATS disable using HP Tuners before removing the harness. Not sure if it needs to see the BCM in line.