Front Ride Height

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
The instructions say to adjust your front coilovers until your lower control arm is level to the ground with you and a passenger in it. I don't see any way of doing that without running out of threads and compressing the crap out of the spring. I only have about 1" of threads left and my arms aren't even close to level. I weight about 200 lbs and the suspension barely budges with me standing directly on it.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
??? You shouldn't need anything different than anyone else all things being the same. Post pictures of what you are seeing. It shouldn't be sagging that much.

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
I know it should be common sense, but I don't know what does what as far as how compressed the spring is. I'm not sure if tightening the lock nut (compressing the spring) lowers the ride height or if loosening it (relaxing the spring) raises it.

At first my spring was compressed to the point of the lock nut being within an inch or so of the top threaded portion. Not really knowing what I'm doing, I loosened it to the point of what the instructions say which is about 2" from the bottom. This is what I'm seeing now. I can stand directly on the control arm and my 200 lb ass practically makes no difference as far as how level the control arm is.

20180813_145723.jpg

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
You are going the wrong way with it. Loosen the lower lock nut and then lower the lower spring mount. This will allow the car to settle down and level the lower a-arm. The picture doesn't have anyone in the seat but I assume if two were in the seat it would still be high on the left side (frame side).

In other words, the spring tension is lifting the car side up and pushing the wheel side down causing the current angle you show.

redline

Also, do you have the aftermarket rear springs? if so they are 400lb and the front are 300lb so maybe you have the rear on the front?

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
Funny you bring that up. Keep in mind I don't know crap about suspension, and I don't know the reasoning of running 400 lb springs up front with coilovers, but I decided to replace the fronts with 300 lb springs. 400 lbs seemed way too stiff. Even with 300 lbs it will rattle your teeth out on these pot hole filled OK roads.

State is easy for registration, but holy crap the roads suck here.

redline

I thought the 400 went in the back because of the extra weight of the engine. that is how I have mine. in fact I know they were marked to go on the car that way because I got the rear setup after the fact when I picked up the frame.

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
Your making me second guess myself now. Lol. I'm 99% sure that Adam said the 300 lb ones that went up front with the stock rear suspension are moved to the rear and replaced with 400 lb springs up front when using coilovers.

I think you're backwards. :)

George

Goblin Guru
The fronts should be the 400# spring because of the angle it mounted and the position on the lower control arm the wheel rate is less the 200# per inch. The rear should be the 300# spring, the wheel rate is a bout 275 to 285 based on how it is mounted with the 300# rear. The stiffer the rear the looser the car is. On my car I have 400 front with 50# spring cushions added to increase spring rate. On the rear I am down to 125# after starting with the 300#. The car drives much better. On the ride quality of the front what is the setting on the shocks that is how many clicks up from dead soft. The 8 degrees of caster also makes the front have a stiffer ride.

Brad

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
The part I don't understand is why use stiffer springs up front when using coilovers in the rear instead of stock springs?

George

Goblin Guru
The rear spring on a stock setup has a spring rate of less than 100#. To help balance the car for lossness and push they reduced the front spring rate. I still does not create a balanced handling as designed but close.
I must warn you that my standards for handling are very high and I will do what ever I need to for the drivablity and handling. Handling is a science all of on it own.

Brad