Rich's Track Goblin - 09 SS Turbo **TITLED & REGISTERED***

RichRich

Finally got the Intercooler all plumbed in and operating normal. Big thanks!!! to Brian74 for driving up from Tucson to help, and by help I pretty much mean he did it. Now the pump and fan turns on and off with the key and is wired into the "cool fan 2". I mounted the IC heat exchanger in the rear on the drivers side just next to the fuel tank and used some soft 30psi hose for all the plumbing. Mounted just temporary for now but it seems to work good so far so gotta make some type of bracket for something more permanent.
20180602_063027.jpg
20180602_063035.jpg
20180602_063058.jpg

DanPerryy

Great job. It would be great to know the temperature differential between the inter-cooler input and output under full power.

RichRich

Yea we tried to pull some before and after temps with his scanner but we couldn't find find the IAT on it....only IAT we were showing seemed to be pre-turbo

Brian74

Goblin Guru
I was really excited to check those numbers; frustratingly the scanner I have does data, graphing, printing and snapshot yet for some reason it does not provide any data for IAT 2 temps...

Rich, did you run it some more? Does it still seem to be pulling fine after a good heat soak? I can borrow a much better scanner and we can do some better testing on it in the future after it gets warmer out.

I am also thinking a decent conductive heat barrier along the bottom of the L to A cooler would be beneficial. I’m going to buy the kit; it comes with enough material to do 2 cars if you’re interested on going halves on it.

RichRich

I haven't driven it at all since you left, my son is having a birthday pool party today so been busy planning for that. Got everything sent off for insurance so waiting to hear back from them. I have a lot of faith in the liquid to air IC, they are fantastic in the diesel world but would possibly be interested in improving it. Send me some info on it, either text or message here. When are you planning on buying it?

Waterdriver

Goblin Guru
Finally got the Intercooler all plumbed in and operating normal. Big thanks!!! to Brian74 for driving up from Tucson to help, and by help I pretty much mean he did it. Now the pump and fan turns on and off with the key and is wired into the "cool fan 2". I mounted the IC heat exchanger in the rear on the drivers side just next to the fuel tank and used some soft 30psi hose for all the plumbing. Mounted just temporary for now but it seems to work good so far so gotta make some type of bracket for something more permanent.
View attachment 4017View attachment 4018View attachment 4019
How much water/coolant were you able to add to your HE system? Total capacity?

RichRich

Oh dang, no clue exactly. Was using bottle water, about 4 bottles I would guess. Not running any tank at this time, will expand capacity if I feel it is needed. If anything I think the cooling ability would need to be improved before capacity of fluid. Have considered running dual coolers more than increased capacity

RichRich

For anyone running an engine cover, how in the literal f*** do you get it in there? I've been messing with it for like an hour and I can't even get it close. I have the passenger seat out, intercooler and intake piping off. It looks like it is too big to maneuver in there but I know it fits somehow

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member
You can cut the rear lip off the engine cover like Matt from off the ranch did.
It made his a lot easier to install.

Adam

Administrator
Staff member
For anyone running an engine cover, how in the literal f*** do you get it in there? I've been messing with it for like an hour and I can't even get it close. I have the passenger seat out, intercooler and intake piping off. It looks like it is too big to maneuver in there but I know it fits somehow
For NA and SS/SC cars we split the engine cover right down the middle to make a left and right half. If you received an engine cover that was already split into two halves it won't work with your turbo setup. We'll send you a new one.

On the SS/TC cars the intercooler on top of the engine interferes with the engine cover. So instead of being cut right down the center, the engine cover is cut into two pieces that fit around the intercooler.

lnf with engine cover.jpg

turbo engine cover front.jpg

The path of the turbo tubes and the location of the intercooler weren't set in stone until very recently so we have not been cutting the SS/TC engine covers before shipping them.

When we cut the engine cover in the photos we had to remove and reinstall the cover many times making small cuts until the cover just barely cleared the plumbing and intercooler. Then we used a sharpie to draw smoother cut lines leaving 3/4 to 1 inch of clearance from each tube/intercooler/silicone elbow.

Also, as my dad said you can cut off the rear of the engine cover to make it easier to install on your turbo car. That rear vertical face makes it hard to maneuver the driver side portion of the engine cover into place.

We actually have to go through this process very soon and plan to use that as an opportunity to scratch lines into the engine cover mold to use as guides later on.

RichRich

Oh I had no clue it was cut completely through, in fact I could of swore you guys said it wasn't cut completely through. Now i think you may have said something along the lines of dont cut it exactly in half. Just a misunderstanding, probably on my part lol. Okay will work on that, thanks for chiming in. Too hot in the garage now so will maybe start again tomorrow

RichRich

Finally got the engine cover wrapped and put on, spoiler installed along with a couple other things. Have a light bar to put on it still but work is limited in the garage when it is 110 degrees out there haha.

I will say I LOVE having the engine cover on, it tones down the sound coming from the turbo through the intake.
20180822_153755.jpg
20180822_153843.jpg
20180822_153640.jpg
20180822_153645.jpg
20180822_153806.jpg

Last edited:

Steve Sallenbach

Your goblin is looking really really good!!! All you builders are all doing a fantastic job getting your kits done. There are so many great colors to pick from, its hard to decide what to go with.

SliderR1

I really like the new wing, too. Adam and Lonny were in town a few weeks ago and I got to see that wing on their car. My old plastic one looked pretty cheesy compared to theirs!

Rich - the car looks great. I just put a 20" light bar on my top halo, similar to what you are doing. I wired it into the bright light circuit since my headlights don't have a bright built in. Works great and really lights up the road!!