Front End Heim Joints

Lethalcast

So I've been in a battle of sorts with the front heim joints. They creak squeak pop and are generally annoying. I started trying different lubes from a dry lube for sailing that does works to a silicone spray. I'll turn the wheel all the way one way and start with the bottom one being extra careful not get any spray on the rotor. I pretty much just barely press the nozzle and let it drip out. Lubing them makes a huge difference in steering. When they are dry the steering binds some and causes it to wander when going over any imperfections on the road. When I lube these the steering is not only a lot easier but it doesnt wander from the binding releasing on bumps and overall the steering feels so much better. The only problem is I literally have to lube them every ride. Anyone know of a more permanent option that would be good for us.

Lethalcast

I just torqued them to what Lonny advised. Torque wouldn't matter as it's the rotation in the joint itself that's making noise. It's both upper and lower on each side but the lowers are the ones that start making noise first.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
You have a powder coated frame, don't you?

Everyone is going to call me crazy but I had this also and I did all that same sh1t everyone else did. It's NOT the heim joints. It sure seems like it! You will argue with me over this one but hear me out. The noise is coming from the where the heim joint is mated against the powder coating. The joint, even though it's bolted tight, still has a very light movement against the powder coating and causes the squeak. Don't believe me, loosen up the bolt to where there is a gap now between the joint and the frame and try it again. It could be any one of the four on the ends of the arms, check them all.

On the new build, I sanded down the mating surface of the frame to see if this will help. Eventually it will wear past the glossy coating and stop making noise. Ours did.

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
I really have no idea, but have you taken things apart to see how freely they swivel and rotate? I don't know about car applications, but this style of connection on ag equipment is pretty much maintenance free and will typically last a very long time.

Lethalcast

I have my girlfriend sit in the car with it running and with the wheel all the way to one way spray some lube on the heim joint and have her turn the wheel and you can hear it stop. There is also a huge difference in driving it. When they start binding up any little bump in the road gralise is it in the car walks a little bit side to side. But when I leave them I don't get any of that at all

ncgoblin

Goblin Guru
I grinded down all joints that touched the frame and where all helm joints installed. The only thing I have not done yet is re-thread the holes for all helm joints there was some powder coat that got inside the holes. Has anyone fixed this squeak? Does anyone know the tap size for the helm joints to hub and frame?
Thanks

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
We had the squeak on both builds and was able to get rid of it. Lining the grim joints with a very viscous oil will help if you haven’t done that. Also we have noticed our driver side brake starting to squeak without the brakes applied. That’s just the pad mount need some grease on them.

When I had some powder coating inside the threads on the arms, I used a small cutoff wheel to cut one groove perpendicular to the threads on just the first 4-5 threads of one of the hiem joints and used that to clean the threads up on all of the holes. Basically turned one hiem joint into a tap. Worked really well. Cut the groove only as deep as the thread and only a few starter threads.

ncgoblin

Goblin Guru
I have resolved the loud heim joint issue. I ended up griding down all powder coat points which took a bit of time and this still did not resolve my issue. I ended up having a friend listen very closely and we identified the bottom driver side joint making the noise very loudly. We removed the joint and rubbed grease all throughout, reinstalled = noise gone.

It seems based on others feedback the root cause is grease. :)

AleX1/9

Wow I am super glad I visited this forum after months away to find this thread! I've had the very same issue with my Goblin since I finished it and now...I'm gonna go fix it!

Thanks for doing the legwork guys !:)

ncgoblin

Goblin Guru
Yesterday I took the car for a ride to work the first time in months. Start to drive home and get slammed with rain this was scary luckily I had sunglasses. Today I turned the wheel and the noise returned grease must have got washed away. What do you guys this of greasable heim joints? I am willing to pilot them what size are our heim joints? I am thinking just the bottom ones first they hold most of the weight and seems to be where all the noise is coming from. Also thinking is it possible to drill and tap small hole in the DF heim joints and install a grease fitting?

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
I noticed a lot of noise after getting caught in the rain recently. Prior to that, I did not have much noise at all.

Tim Moland

I have battled with the dreaded squeak for a long time. It's so embarrassing to pull up to a place with a bunch of people eyeing your car, and it's squeaking with every bump or steering movement. I used dry silicone spray, which works, but only for about one drive, then its back to being noisy. I thought I had read on here about a different type of heim joint(delrin?) that could be a possible replacement. Anyone change out the front heim joints with something that is quiet?

k.rollin

Goblin Guru
I have battled with the dreaded squeak for a long time. It's so embarrassing to pull up to a place with a bunch of people eyeing your car, and it's squeaking with every bump or steering movement. I used dry silicone spray, which works, but only for about one drive, then its back to being noisy. I thought I had read on here about a different type of heim joint(delrin?) that could be a possible replacement. Anyone change out the front heim joints with something that is quiet?

JeffsGoblin

Goblin Guru
Here is another thread on that issue and I think Chad solved it and called out powder coating that needs to be removed from the A-Arms. EDIT: just saw his post above from July 10th.

ncgoblin

Goblin Guru
Here is another thread on that issue and I think Chad solved it and called out powder coating that needs to be removed from the A-Arms. EDIT: just saw his post above from July 10th.

I ordered the new heim joints to see if this will resolve the issue I will provide an update. Removing powder coating did not resolve the issue.

Waterdriver

Goblin Guru
This post got me thinking.
The heim joints used for the spindle pivots are able to be greased. Or at least the ones I received with the kit are.
On the threaded end, the very bottom, is a small grease hole. Using a grease gun with a rubber tip attachment, press against this hole and apply grease.
What one could do is build a threaded cap with a zerk fitting that threads into the A-arm back side from where the heim joint threads into. It would be a lot easier to grease, like a regular ball joint. I guess it could be plastic as it won't take a heat.
A threaded plastic pipe plug might work.
Hmm, a trip to Home Depot might be in order.