ZacMaster's City Goblin - 2007 SSNA Donor

Tim Moland

I'm right on your tail. I'm going to put my order in next week(if everything goes to plan). If you need any help, let me know.

ZacMaster

I'm right on your tail. I'm going to put my order in next week(if everything goes to plan). If you need any help, let me know.
Tim, are you going to drive down to TX to pick up the kit? Might be worth going together to split costs. I'm in no rush, would be happy to wait the extra few weeks for yours to be ready.

ZacMaster

While I have no good pictures of the teardown, I have started ripping into the Cobalt. I've started in the interior pulling pieces I think I can sell while still driving it in and out of the garage.

But this weekend, I drive it one last time, then decided I was happy enough with the drivetrain to put her down. depressurized the fuel rail, drained the gas tank, and here we go.

I've finished most of video 1 and 2 (Except I'm going to leave the hood, fenders, doors, etc. on the car until they can sell or I have to remove them) and video 5 (interior).

Chassis #131 should arrive early April.

Since I've worked in Flight Test for 15 years, I'm planning an homage to the paint color we use to signify experimental installations on aircraft. It's called International Orange. I'm hoping it's different enough from Chad's to not be a complete copy-cat.

I'll grab some progress pictures soon.

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
Orange is my favorite color. It doesn't get a lot of love unfortunately. Good to see the frame numbers getting up there.

ZacMaster

More disassembly tonight, although I’m not going in order at all.

Here’s a general picture of the engine compartment as it sits at the beginning of the night.

FEA30055-6415-4C27-8D17-DE4D0B5DA39B.jpeg

A shot of what I’ve done to the interior so far:
7DC35A0A-0721-4DD9-9FA4-B22B44E7D331.jpeg

Working on fuse block disassembly:
A937E96F-4925-4DF5-9B94-61595B25F41A.jpeg

Finally, draining the coolant.
C9EE2345-41F0-4DEF-801A-4F636B12ABEB.jpeg

Got called in to help the wife (newborn) so I washed up good and burped a baby.

BaltimoreHokie

Goblin Guru
Got called in to help the wife (newborn) so I washed up good and burped a baby.
I know the feeling. Its tough getting out to the garage from time to time. We have a 2.5 and a 2 month old! making slow progress. Don't rush it. I rushed a few things recently then ended up going back and redoing them.

ZacMaster

Knocked out some more small things from some more videos, including video 15 (preparing donor parts...some of which is engine cleanup, etc.)

Since my bumper was screwed up from an apparent previous accident...

4D6B3C12-04C0-4E56-8877-BCED4BF811DA.jpeg

...I can’t get it off while being quiet, so I pulled some accessories off today. Radiator, compressor, etc.

Anyway, I got a ton done.

The videos don’t mention this, but does anyone know what the plug is in the lower left side of the radiator?
B2059D4F-C004-474A-BE21-325BEECA264F.jpeg

It’s not slowing me down, but I have two radiator plugs. Want to know what they do...

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
Looks like a resistor for the cooling fan. Should have yellow and lt blue wires going to it. Not needed! But the blue wire will be your cooling fan power on the build so keep it.

ZacMaster

I got a ton done on the disassembly this weekend. Almost none of it in order. I managed to disassemble most of the dash in-vehicle, and got all harnesses removed. All I have left of the shell is front seatbelts, parking brake (maybe), and the rear end. (Also, hood, door, trunk lid removal for selling.)

Put the dash pieces back inside for storage....

ZacMaster

Did a little work on the engine harness.

I’m taking all the tape and wrap off to clean it up and remove some of the unnecessary wires.

My engine is super dirty. I’m thinking once I get the harness cleaned up, I’ll actually remove it to help with the clean.

I can mostly figure out what everything is for. Anyone have a simple diagram for which harness does what?

Still need to remove the rear of the car, but this is a little more “20 minutes at a time.”

ZacMaster

Looks like a resistor for the cooling fan. Should have yellow and lt blue wires going to it. Not needed! But the blue wire will be your cooling fan power on the build so keep it.

Does this mean I can strip the brown and black wires from the engine harness (Adam’s instructions seem to indicate this)?

ZacMaster

Does this mean I can strip the brown and black wires from the engine harness (Adam’s instructions seem to indicate this)?
I need to keep only the light blue wire, right? Yellow and gray can be stripped and the black ground (to the lower right front engine case) can be removed)?

BaltimoreHokie

Goblin Guru
I need to keep only the light blue wire, right? Yellow and gray can be stripped and the black ground (to the lower right front engine case) can be removed)?
So, I assume that's your radiator fan right? If so, you can cut it out, but then leave the blue wire longer when it gets back to the fuse box. you'll then attach a longer wire that will run the whole way to the fan in the front. This longer wire will be ran with the other part of the harness so no need to leave the blue wire longer then 5" because you'll end up just connecting it later on once you make the other harness.

I didn't cut anything out of my engine harness during the videos. I just recently removed some of the plugs by cutting them out, but I didn't go through and unwrap it all to do so. The things you could cut out that I remember are the AC stuff, and the two Radiator fan wire connectors. I just didnt see unwrapping it all to cut out only those items.

ZacMaster

So, I assume that's your radiator fan right? If so, you can cut it out, but then leave the blue wire longer when it gets back to the fuse box. you'll then attach a longer wire that will run the whole way to the fan in the front. This longer wire will be ran with the other part of the harness so no need to leave the blue wire longer then 5" because you'll end up just connecting it later on once you make the other harness.

I didn't cut anything out of my engine harness during the videos. I just recently removed some of the plugs by cutting them out, but I didn't go through and unwrap it all to do so. The things you could cut out that I remember are the AC stuff, and the two Radiator fan wire connectors. I just didnt see unwrapping it all to cut out only those items.
Roger. Blue wire 5”.

I ended up unwrapping the whole thing since my engine and wires are CAKED with road grime. Once I started unwrapping the dirty parts, I just unwrapped all of it:

I removed the ac lines, second o2 sensor, and evap harness. Tonight, I’ll pull out the radiator wires per the discussion above.

Once I can label all the connectors (there’s a lot I don’t understand about this engine), I’ll pull the harness off to more easily detail the block.

Also, I got the rest of the donor disassembly complete. Need to list the shell as scrap metal on CL.