Base Model Performance

Waterdriver

Goblin Guru
If your wanting to learn to race/drive before or during getting into a race car, check into race karts. Sanctioning bodies IKF or WKA depending what part of the country your in. These aren't your backyard go karts.
Purpose built, chrome moly tubes frames, disc brakes. Approaching 2g's cornering without any aero.
It can be inexpensive way to get lots of seat time and hone your skills.

Some tracks have rental kart racing leagues. Pretty much arrive and drive. You just dont have the ability to check tire pressures or chassis tuning.

Affordable enough to be building your race car of choice while getting seat time.

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
I was actually referring to the 60-0 or braking times/distance to be able compare the braking performance.
I had some dyslexia set in when reading your original post.

I just looked at my tablet with the Torque app. It does have 60 -0 mph times and 100-0 kmh times.

JERMzSS

When I picked up my frame Lonny took me for a ride in Adams older base Goblin. It shocked me how quick it was. Starting with a base is not a bad ide at all. They are quick and you get the feel for the car. They handle alot different than most are use to so seat time is important before any spirited driving.

Plus when you are ready for more power you can pick up a turbo kit or a supercharged setup on the cheap. Adding 50 hp to these is like adding 200hp to any other car.

lksohm

There is a 2.4 NA Auto for sale in my area (Iowa) asking $1000 if you are interested.
Looks to be a solid deal.

jpr

in aircraft terms I'm located pretty convenient to central Iowa (~30 mi south of Minneapolis) and would be happy to get you some seat time in my 2.2 auto build!

I would guesstimate 0-60 times in the 5 second range and can so far report very pleasing performance in the twisties. As soon as it quits raining I am hoping to get some more detailed "research" done!

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Just saw the Goblin on Goonzquad, and found this forum as a result.

I'm an aircraft mechanic, and I'm not far from retirement, and I've been planning to build and race vintage cars as a hobby.

My last race experience was go karts in high school, so when I saw the Goblin, I realized there might be a more affordable way to learn how to race cars then risking vintage tin. It seems to me, a base model Goblin with the automatic tranny would make a decent training car for someone serious about learning to drive a car to its limits.

Most cars I've seen/read about have been SC/TC cars with manuals, so I am interested in hearing more about how the base model car performs.

Thanks!
So now that you have received just about every possible answer . Have you decided anything?

120mm

So now that you have received just about every possible answer . Have you decided anything?
I have two months until I get home, sell my house in Iowa and move to Tennessee, so no.

But the answers were mostly relevant and good. I know a lot more than I did before.

If I were to buy one today, I'd most probably go with a manual SC model. For one, they are much, much more available than the TC, and I've never been a Turbo fan. The only upgrade I would get is race seats. Probably. And maybe a quick-disconnect steering wheel.

taz_va

Just scanned through here, lots of great input from everyone. I'll just reiterate what's been said. You can learn to race in anything. The fundamentals don't really change. Different vehicles simply have different manners and limits. If you want a "disposable" car which is easy to work on, and something you can learn to race with, go find a Miata and get into some Auto-X stuff. There's also SPEC Miata. Glad to see you're looking at a manual vice an auto.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
I have two months until I get home, sell my house in Iowa and move to Tennessee, so no.

But the answers were mostly relevant and good. I know a lot more than I did before.

If I were to buy one today, I'd most probably go with a manual SC model. For one, they are much, much more available than the TC, and I've never been a Turbo fan. The only upgrade I would get is race seats. Probably. And maybe a quick-disconnect steering wheel.
I certainly can't argue with that.

lksohm

I was in Newton on Wednesday... I'm in State Center (near Marshalltown). About 30 minute drive from you.

You're welcome to come look at my pile of parts anytime. I'm taking my frame to get powder coated on Monday so the assembly will begin after that.

120mm

Sounds good. I'm not going to be in Iowa immediately in 2 months, since I'm going to TN first. But I'll make a point of looking you up.

I'd love to see one still being worked on.