Tim's Extended Track Lower Entry - 10 SS/Tc *REGISTERED*

Tim Moland

Install the fuel pump now. Just make sure you clock it correctly. The vent hose goes to the T and then to the filler neck. The other side of the T just vents to the ground. Make sure you loop the vent above the level of the tank.
I think I understand what your saying, but do you have a picture of what you did? Does the extra line that vents to ground just keep the tank from building pressure?

Tim Moland

Did you use (hose) spacers between the tank and the frame so it would push it out, away from the frame?
Yes I did. The fuel pump hold down ring is only like 1/16" of an inch under the frame rail. I'll probably trim a flat spot in it once I remove it, just in case I have to service the pump at a later date.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
I think I understand what your saying, but do you have a picture of what you did? Does the extra line that vents to ground just keep the tank from building pressure?
Since the cap is sealed, the tank needs to be able to equalize pressure with the atmosphere. When using fuel, it will draw from the tank and cause a vacuum inside the tank if not for the vent. On the other side, if the tank heats up and expand it will pressurize and will need to vent the extra pressure.

I can take a photo of what I have it it may not be the suggested setup.

Tim Moland

So why wouldnt we run a hose from the filler neck vent tube to the ground, and just eliminate the brass nipple in the tank. I'm not understanding the extra step of adding the T.

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member
When we used just the vent tube, everytime we tried to fill up it would kick the pump off. Which was very frustrating.

The original cobalt tank had multiple vents. By enlarging the filler tube and adding the extra vent it allows us to fill the tank normally without having to ease the fuel in.

Tim Moland

Got the fuel pump installed, along with the vent tubes. Then I installed my motor! For anyone building, the car gets extremely ass heavy once the motor is installed. Put your jack stands as far back as you can on the frame rails, and I recommend having your battery up front for ballast. Hey turbo guys, did I install the fuel pump at the right orientation? And check my motor mount bolts. I believe I have them in the right holes, but there seems to be multiple options.
20190417_003202.jpg
20190417_003224.jpg
20190417_030233.jpg
20190417_030147.jpg
20190417_030202.jpg
20190417_030118.jpg

Tim Moland

Tonight was front suspension. I found that I was shorted the nuts to install the control arms to the frame. So right now, everything is sitting where it should be, just not tightened down. I ran into a problem with attaching the ball joints. I assume you have to take off the original ball joints from the steering rack and install the ones provided by DF. The problem I am having is I have a really bad toe out problem. Even with the new ball joints only threaded on ~5 turns. Racking my brain to figure this out. Starting to think I built my uprights wrong. I looked at a few pictures I could find on the forum, and my upright look like others. Any help is appreciated.
20190418_023018.jpg

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
Tonight was front suspension. I found that I was shorted the nuts to install the control arms to the frame. So right now, everything is sitting where it should be, just not tightened down. I ran into a problem with attaching the ball joints. I assume you have to take off the original ball joints from the steering rack and install the ones provided by DF. The problem I am having is I have a really bad toe out problem. Even with the new ball joints only threaded on ~5 turns. Racking my brain to figure this out. Starting to think I built my uprights wrong. I looked at a few pictures I could find on the forum, and my upright look like others. Any help is appreciated.
View attachment 8167
Your top brackets at the control arm are good. The bottoms need to be turned around Other than that from this view I cant see anything obvious.
http://dfkitcar.com/forum/index.php?threads/mannys-city-goblin-07-ss-sc-donor.559/page-11#post-17885

Tim Moland

Got the front suspension all figured out thanks to everyone's advice. I still had to turn the ball links out from the cobalt's original position. Just doing rough measuring, I have the upright at a slight toe in position. I think I read somewhere you needed that for good tracking.
20190419_010231.jpg
20190419_010353.jpg
20190419_010522.jpg

Then I moved on to installing the rear radiator hoses(the ones I have), and then the subframe. I don't have all the bolts tight yet. Having issues getting the front solid transmission mount to line up. I think I will loosen the engine to frame bolts tomorrow and see if that gives me enough wiggle room to get everything lined up.
20190419_033335.jpg
20190419_033414.jpg

taz_va

I don't want to hijack your thread, it's just that your pictures are so perfect for my question: Relating to the aluminum stock used in the steering assembly in your pics up above, is it safe to presume it's not "clear" anodized, it's just bare aluminum?

Love the pics, keep them coming.