Carl's Track Goblin - 05 SS SC donor, Chassis # 39

Waterdriver

Goblin Guru
Do they have the template for this? I would love the design and my birthday is Oct 29th! Good present from wife to me :)
I think my brother and his wife got the car image from the DF site and the Goblin character from Google images. Then they printed/cut it out on iron-on stock with their Cricket. Which required picking the cut out parts of the iron-on. He said that part took quite a bit to do.

ncgoblin

Goblin Guru
Last night I was doing a little wiring diagnostics starting at the OBD2 port. Ground wire has a good ground.
Green wires, no continuity between them.
Started checking ground wire to chassis points back to the negative battery cable. Found that the ground cable I have attached to the pedal box was showing a low value of resistance.
Removed that cable, cleaned paint and primer off the mounting point and reattached.
The tachometer is now working but the speedo is showing a value as well. Could be the trans is freewheeling at idle since the axles aren't in at the moment.
So I too have a similar issue continuity of grounds is good on the OBD and battery/chassis but I have continuity of the (2) obd green wires. I too can see all gauges in the Bluetooth software. So I’m saying this what do you suggest is my next step to resolve the (2) green? What plug do they route too? Sounds like removal of tunnel cap after I just installed my seats lol.

Waterdriver

Goblin Guru
The other issue I had and didn't post, was that the plug going to the back of the body fuse block, in the passenger footwell, did not seat all the way. Unlocked, unplugged and ensured that in seated and locked in correctly. Then all was happy.

I've read that a couple of other people have had issues with pins backing out of the plugs, which could be something to check on as well.

Waterdriver

Goblin Guru
Getting back at it. Got the drivers side harnesses and seat bolted in last night. Going to be a single seater for a little while.
Took it for a spin around the neighborhood since the weather was nice.
On the hunt for an autocross now.
IMG_9621.JPG

Also started working on a dash template. Well have to see how that turns out.

IDRVSLO

Goblin Guru
Getting back at it. Got the drivers side harnesses and seat bolted in last night. Going to be a single seater for a little while.
Took it for a spin around the neighborhood since the weather was nice.
On the hunt for an autocross now.
View attachment 7427

Also started working on a dash template. Well have to see how that turns out.
Glad to see you getting closer!

Waterdriver

Goblin Guru
My first REAL drive. Autocross in the PNW and the weather actually cooperated.
20190331_125958.jpg

First impressions. The car is quick! Gearing seems really good for autocrossing. Stayed in second gear for this course setup. Pulls really nice out of low RPM corners.
I was curious about this before the event but for autocrossing it will need an LSD. It was easily spinning the inside tire out of slow corners. Requires some throttle restraint.
With the current suspension and alignment it was tail happy and is lacking lateral grip. The car has it in it, just need to try a different alignment. Rear coilovers will be needed.
My brother came along and he was able to drive as well. He did pretty well considering he didn't even have a chance to drive the Goblin prior to his first run. He was catching on quick though.
Videos to follow soon.

Last edited:

Waterdriver

Goblin Guru
What a great day of autocrossing , weather and talking with fellow motorheads with Bremerton Sports Car Club!

With a couple of small changes prior to the event the car has transformed its mannerisms! I made one change to the alignment and changed the front compression/rebound and the car is no longer a widowmaker. This car still has more in it with further suspension testing and tuning.
With that, I was able to manage 2nd fastest in Time Only, 4th FTD. I was 3 tenths off of a national competing driver in his Grand Sport Corvette.

I'm really starting to enjoy driving the Goblin at its limits! Can't wait to further dial it in!

Waterdriver

Goblin Guru
Haven't made much progress on my dash or bodywork. Distracted by all the autocross events and chassis setup.
I did Install new front springs and the rear sway bar to autocross with, which definately helped to control body roll and aid turn in. Although the stock SS bar is is way too stiff at 24mm but close to what i like. Will need to make a trip to Pick-n-Pull to source a base models sway bar to try out.

The added springs and rear sway bar are starting to make the Toyo tires work. Although I'm starting to get uncomfortable with the tire pressures they like without bead lock wheels. Hot F: 11 R: 12

So far it's been fun to work on the chassis setup and run times close to cars that cost as much as house. In my run group I was able to run within 1 second of a 911GT2 RS and 911 GT3. Further chassis tuning and Hoosier's will get it there no problem.
20190611_113847.jpg

I added a new steering wheel last night.
Making it look and feel more like a sports car.
20190610_220203.jpg

20190610_220217.jpg

20190610_220249.jpg

Last edited:

Waterdriver

Goblin Guru
Went to Pick and Pull today and pulled a base model sway bar to try out in the rear. It has recently replaced bushings and end links and only $30. 18mm bar instead of current 24mm bar.
Tomorrow I'll take the muffler off and swap them out.
20190615_181143.jpg

Finally got a second seat and was able to get that installed today along with the harness!
20190615_174421.jpg

20190615_174510.jpg

Attachments

Dylan Stan

Hey i actually have the same wheels in 4x100 too. Did you use a hubcentric ring and if so which size. Mine would be exact same.

Waterdriver

Goblin Guru
Yes, I'm using a hub centric ring. I dont recall offhand their dimensions.
When I got the tires mounted and balanced, I brought one of my wheel hubs with me and they sold me the closest fit.

I think my receipt might have the size on it, which I could check this evening. Or I could pull a wheel off and check.

Waterdriver

Goblin Guru
So in just looking up the info online, the wheel center bore is 73mm.
The wheel bearing hub is 57.1mm.

Not sure what model kit you have, but I remember DF supplied a metal hubcentric ring that you install on the front hubs and then the plastic one over it to center the wheel.

Dylan Stan

That helps. I was really trying to verify the 4x100 hub size, as the wheel measurments are easy to find. I do have all for centering rings for rotors.
Thanks