DOT Windscreen Option

Dylan Stan

Although i havent had inspection done, I am very confident that this windscreen will do. I live in Michigan and these DOT Makrolon Hardcoated windscreens are popular. I have purchased a RZR windscreen with DOT Stamp and Recipt for Inspection and got it cut out for less than 215 Dollars all togeather. The Windscreen ran me $180 I believe. Mind you i found a seperate company to cut, than who i bought from. Should be great. The DOT stamp fits nicely inside our DF Supplied Windscreen Template.

Attachments

lksohm

That looks very good! We have to have the same here in Iowa.
Did you have it cut locally?

k.rollin

Goblin Guru
If it comes down to it, you can cut polycarbonate with a reasonably nice finish using a bandsaw. For tight radii and a coping saw will work. I've used these methods for a few projects without issue.

BAR-AIR

Good Evening,
Doesn’t it have to be a laminated glass for DOT certification (I thought the DOT Polycarbonate used on the ATV/UTV’s was only for restricted low speed vehicles that are used on certain roads - 25MPH or less ? ).
Bruce

jirwin

Goblin Guru
Good Evening,
Doesn’t it have to be a laminated glass for DOT certification (I thought the DOT Polycarbonate used on the ATV/UTV’s was only for restricted low speed vehicles that are used on certain roads - 25MPH or less ? ).
Bruce
Technically yes, though I think having a windshield that says DOT on it would be enough to fool most inspections

Dylan Stan

Yes i got this cut locally for 30 $. Cant beat it.
In Michigan you can street legal a SXS exactly like a car. It even has the full size plate and registration. Not sure if that means anything. But the SXS inspection is the same here in michigan as an "Assembled Vehicle Title"
We will soon find out when i get my inspection done.

lksohm

The plexi windshield that I got from DF has a small curve to it when it is bolted to the hood. How would someone go about matching that curve?

I have found a good looking supplier for flat laminated windshield glass that is DOT stamped. They may give a deal if we put in a group order. I'm not sure hot to attach a flat windshield without building a whole new frame for it.

Ross

Goblin Guru
To match the curve, mock up a cardboard windshield, cut and add to the shape until the cardboard matches where you want it. Then cut down the polycarbonate or laminated glass windscreen to match the cardboard template. Yes, you will need a customized frame for it.
I wonder if the front window on the donor Cobalt is laminated glass?

lksohm

Will the laminated glass flex? I figured it would be pretty brittle.

I'm sure the cobalt has DOT safety glass. It would work as a practice piece for cutting at least.

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
I wonder if the front window on the donor Cobalt is laminated glass?
Every car made in mass production for a long time has had a laminated glass windshield. it ids designed to keep the occupants in the car during a head on collision.

Ross

Goblin Guru
No, Iaminated glass doesn't flex much. Your glass frame will have to match the glass.
If you want flat DOT glass raked at a 45 degree angle, you could make a cardboard template to figure out the shape where it touches the fiberglass hood, then make a custom window frame.

BAR-AIR

Good Evening,
Here are a couple of laminated glass windshield we made for NYS DOT...

6E786D24-5133-4F73-90A9-13F403EAFEB9.jpeg

Full upper roll cage that is removable with the laminated glass windshield...
A5AEEA63-09B0-4ED8-82AB-7A0E4646B2F4.jpeg

This is a VW Dune Buggy windshield frame that we modified to fit the Goblin....
8C51491D-D944-4E22-9E24-C5879519CB49.jpeg

THX,
Bruce

40flash

New windshields are not terribly expensive. For my buggy project I'm thinking about finding a production car windshield that has the curvature I'm looking for. Knowing it will be way too wide for my car I will cut off the sides leaving a curved glass that I can build a frame for. Most modern windshields are glued in. So my frame just needs to be the shape of the inside of the glass about a inch or inch and a half from the outside edge all the way around. Then fab side supports. I'm planning to do it all out of aluminum. I will pick up an old cracked windshield from any glass shop and practice a few cuts doing the techniques on the videos I posted above. I can weld aluminum but any of you that are capable building your cars could cut out the aluminum frame parts and have a shop weld it for you. Google Deserter GT if you want to see some simple aluminum side frame pieces that you could cut out of stock. I'm looking at starting with a Karman Ghia windshield. They are 17 inches high and should only have to cut off a few inches off each side.