supercharged/street/extended (on a shoestring)

Parson Green

Auction won and donor car on it's way to Texas.

Here's hoping there's no extra-ugly surprises when it arrives ...

Speaking of ugly, we'll be getting clipped for Texas state sales taxes on each/every item we purchase from DF. Ugh.

JSATX

Goblin Guru
Sales tax on the kit definitely sucks. But I guess I’d rather pay that and be fairly close than have to pay for shipping / drive across the county to get stuff!

Where are ya located

k.rollin

Goblin Guru
Sales tax on the kit definitely sucks. But I guess I’d rather pay that and be fairly close than have to pay for shipping / drive across the county to get stuff!
No kidding; it was just about $1200 to have Stage 1 crated and shipped to Tacoma from Red Oak, and I'm still going to have to pay WA DOR a state use tax on the kit cost when I submit the registration application.

askiles

Goblin Guru
I flew out, rented a pickup truck, grabbed the kit, and drove 15 hours home to AZ. It cost me about $400 in the end. Well worth it. I got lucky.

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
Speaking of ugly, we'll be getting clipped for Texas state sales taxes on each/every item we purchase from DF. Ugh.
I feel your pain. Here in PA we have to pay sales tax on the chassis even though it was purchased out of state. They have recently required out of state vendors ( Summit, Jegs Amazon) to collect sales tax. We used to be able to buy stuff out of state without paying the tax. To make it more painfull than that the county that I live in adds another 1% tax to support our pro sports teams and mass transit. Along with an additional $5 fee on annual vehicle registration. Ok I'm done because i may start a rant on how much I love PA :(

Parson Green

Those darn taxes are a familiar (& mostly justified) lament in our fair nation.

No, not the DFGoblin nation. The USA! It all goes back to that tea-party thing in Boston harbor.

Justin, we reside near Kicaster which is about 260 miles SSE of Red Oak.

Has anyone tried owning/operating/registering their Goblin under a rebuilder's title? I.e., as a Cobalt?

Parson Green

car-registration official: So you're asking me to believe that that thing is a 2007 Cobalt?

Goblin builder: Yes sir. Most definitely. That 2007 Cobalt was purchased by me at an insurance-salvage auction. When I got it home I completely disassembled it and discarded all the damaged parts. Then, by using a repair kit I got from a guy named Lonnie, I was able to re-assemble it into the vehicle you see before you.

car-registration official: Well, you did an outstanding job. Here's your approved application. Step to the next window, pay your fees and you'll receive the new title and license plate for your Cobalt in the mail.

JSATX

Goblin Guru

car-registration official: So you're asking me to believe that that thing is a 2007 Cobalt?

Goblin builder: Yes sir. Most definitely. That 2007 Cobalt was purchased by me at an insurance-salvage auction. When I got it home I completely disassembled it and discarded all the damaged parts. Then, by using a repair kit I got from a guy named Lonnie, I was able to re-assemble it into the vehicle you see before you.

car-registration official: Well, you did an outstanding job. Here's your approved application. Step to the next window, pay your fees and you'll receive the new title and license plate for your Cobalt in the mail.
Not a chance lol. Good luck trying though.

G Atsma

Goblin Guru
Reality-
"Sooo, this is a 2007 Cobalt?"
"Yessir!"
"Nice work! Where are the airbags required for this year car? None... Well, let's look at the emissions gear Federally required for a 2007 Cobalt. Hmm, no catalytic converter or evaporative gear..... FAIL!"
"Oh...… OK...…"

Parson Green

As a build log, this one hasn't been so great up to this point. It's a trend that will probably continue.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The donor Cobalt (2007, 82K miles on the odometer, SS.SC) arrives at its new Texas home:

Motor out. Who's gonna clean this nasty thing up?

Back from Red Oak with stages 1&2 (~520-mile round trip) (IH35 thru Waco = horrible).

Consortium member #2 winding down with un cerveza fria.

Motor after a bath and new paint.

Harness in the rework department.

The requisite ready-to-go-to-the-crusher pic.

TO BE CONTINUED ...

Last edited:

JeffsGoblin

Goblin Guru
As a build log, this one hasn't been so great up to this point. It's a trend that will probably continue.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The donor Cobalt (2007, 82K miles on the odometer, SS.SC) arrives at its new Texas home:

Motor after a bath and new paint.

TO BE CONTINUED ...
That supercharger pulley looks way too big! You may need to some how make is smaller! :eek:;):D

Parson Green

Would/should also give a major expression of thanks here to Lonny, Adam, all the great people at DFkitcar and all the helpful&knowledgeable participants on this forum.

It's a great "avenue" that's available here; an avenue to an amazingly high level of motoring performance/enjoyment for a relatively small investment of dollars and time.

Last edited:

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
Would/should also give a major expression of thanks here to Lonny, Adam, all the great people at DFkitcar and all the helpful&knowledgeable participants on this forum.

It's a great "avenue" that's available here; an avenue to an amazingly high level of motoring performance/enjoyment for a relatively small investment of dollars and time.
That it is!

You appear to have a front camber problem in your pics. Is that intentional?

It may also just be an illusion, or maybe my eyes deceiving me...

Ross

Goblin Guru
That it is!

You appear to have a front camber problem in your pics. Is that intentional?

It may also just be an illusion, or maybe my eyes deceiving me...
The videos tell you to back the heim joints out 4 turns, which results in way too much camber. I think I have my bottom A arms all the way in, and the top is about 8 or 9 turns out.

Parson Green

Brother Ross,

After reading your comments we increased the number of backed-out turns to eight (8ea) on the upper-heim joints of our car. The camber now looks pretty much right on the money. We also tweaked (eyeballing only) the toe (left and right) which seemed to also do a lot of good.

You, sir, are a gentleman and a scholar. (To which you're supposed to reply: "And there aren't that many of us left anymore.")

Last edited: