Desert Sasqwatch #155 Track (mods) - 08 SS/TC crate LNF F40

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Snugged everything away in the garage, will be a few weeks before I can think about wrenching on the Goblin. The boss decided we are tearing out the carpets and putting in wood floors in the house - sooo that will be another delay. Happy wife, happy life! :confused:

Still have my daily driver to fix. I'm prepping up the motor for the Jeep swap that should start next weekend (Labor day). Cleaned up the ports on the refurbished head and ported the exhaust side slightly - about 10% larger. The Jeep exhaust ports are horribly small, as cast, so it takes some work on the 'floor' side the exhaust port to get a little better flow. Hoping to get about 30 more horsepower from my 4.6 liter stroker I-6 over the 4.0 liter that it is replacing, but should see about 50 ft.lbs extra torque. :cool:

Once these are done, with the wife happy again and I can get back and forth to work reliably, I expect to have time to start on my kit. The weather should (ha! famous last words) start to cool off from the 100teens we have been seeing all summer.

Last edited:

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Been making the wife happy :) ; the carpets are gone, the wood floors are in and the walls are a different color, since she decided we needed to paint them because they no longer went with the deacor. :confused: Got started on the Jeep after those 4 days of 'happiness' and got the base engine built. Just need to add the externals - some of which are getting replaced as they were getting tired - that I am waiting on delivery. Guessing another day or two to get the engine completed and ready to install, plus 3-4 days to get the old engine out and new one installed and running correctly. So it will probably be another month - at least - before I can start on the Goblin. :(

Attachments

Ross

Goblin Guru
I don't think that will fit in the stock Goblin frame, but I'm glad you are making progress towards the goal.

Motoracer110

Awesome! You’ll have a nice running Jeep with that I-6 in it. Can’t wait to see your build start. I already know it will be top notch

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Update:
Work has tied me up, occupying far too much of my time, and the time I do have is spent working honey-do list items that are piling up. :mad:
The new Jeep engine still sitting on an engine stand - see previous photos. I am hoping to take several days off in a row after Thanksgiving to get it into my Rubi. The old engine still runs fine for now, just gives me a little smoke before it warms up, so I should not be stranded before I get the chance to get the motors swapped out. :)
The Goblin is still sitting in the garage, parts in boxes, with my engine on my other engine stand and trans sitting on a shelf. It makes me sad to even open the garage door to get something out of my third car garage, seeing it there and knowing that others who have purchased their kits after I did have something that resembles a car to show for it. :(
The best I can do is spend a few minutes every evening keeping up with the goings-on on the DF forum and see how everyone else is progressing. Keep up the good work everyone, it gives me hope that after the first of the year I can finally start my Goblin! :D

Brian74

Goblin Guru
I know the feeling. I’m going on almost 2 years now. Living in Az makes summer garage work miserable, and I have numerous other projects going as well.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Brian, I can completely relate. Now that our weather is getting nice again, more outside work will get done - honey-dos and man-projects. I should have my Jeep back in full working order between Thanksgiving and Christmas, so work on my Goblin is not too far off. I am giving myself a year to get to my car built and registered in AZ - I want to do it right and exactly the way I want it built with no cut corners. :D

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Happy holidays everyone! It's been a while since I posted to my build log thought I would provide an update. I have been working too many hours in my new job - thought I gave that up with my last job - but oh well, gotta keep a roof over our heads and food on the table. Besides Uncle Sam needs to get those satellites up in the air where they will do us some good to keep the bad guys away.

I've been tinkering quite a bit with my Goblin, doing some test fitting of things and taking many measurements to determine if my planned upgrades will actually fit - it will be real tight! :eek: I was trying my wheels and hubs, together, and found the wheels (VORS) have a 'short' center hub cutout depth and the inside face is contacting the end of the bearing hub assembly (rears) before I am making full seating onto the stud flange face. I have a little less than a 3/16 inch gap and it looks like I will need to use a thin spacer to make these work correctly. 5mm is about 3/16 inch, but I will need to have some additional clearance so the hub and wheel do not rub, so it will need to be thicker than 5mm. Anyone with a suggestion for a good spacer, please let me know.

On the brighter side, I did decide to go with a red, white and blue color theme and will keep it as patriotically tasteful as I can.....but it will be unique and noticeable on the street (I don't want to get run over by someone ignoring my tiny little car!). As I previously mentioned, the frame will be white (POR-15), the body will be a red and blue combination (still like the flag wrap, but it will be mostly cut off on the Goblin hood) with many red and blue accents in the interior and engine bay, and white wheels. I added a photo of the wheels and yes, those are 'SS' center caps - my Goblin did evolve from a SS/TC. It will be a pain to keep clean, but what else do I have to do on a Saturday morning? :)

Attachments

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Mock up time! I am beginning to 'dry fit' parts into my Goblin to check fit and see what additional welding or fabricating I need to do before I finish the chassis. I will have dual heat exchangers, so I am mocking up side pods to house the KZ750 radiators and 7 inch cooling fans. Borrowing Tinkles idea to use PVC pipe, I put together what I think will work for my application - a trapezoid shape with a rearward cant and the heat exchanger will be angled sideways inside the housing so it minimizes side overhang. This frame will be fabricated in 1 inch tube and covered with a fiberglass shell. The heat exchanger will be baffled to ensure airflow through the radiator rather than around it. I also plan to use the space above the exchangers for a fresh air duct into the engine bay. I hope that by providing some colder and pressurized air to this area will help reduce the backflow of hot air coming forward into the cockpit - sounds like a good idea at this point, but I will have to see if this actually works or not.

Attachments

Last edited:

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
First frame mod; the location of the fuel filler bracket on the passenger side, since it would be inaccessible when the heat exchanger side pod gets added. I moved it up from its original location, using the same bracket, and utilizing the engine cover bracket as the second support location to allow it to tilt into the engine bay for a better alignment with the fuel tank inlet.

Attachments

JSATX

Goblin Guru
I intend to make very similar side pods for motorcycle radiators. If you get carful dimensions I can possibly bend the tube and weld it out for you when I do mune

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Justin, I can get dimensions and get them to you for the mock up I put together and from the KZ750 radiators I am using for heat exchangers. I may take you up on your offer of bending and welding up some pods for me, since I do not have a tube bender available for my use. Give me a couple days to get the exact dimensions sketched out so it makes sense, I will post them here, since others may benefit from them. Question, how tight of a radius can be made from 1.000X0.095 or 1.000X0.120 tube? I seem to recall something like 2 1/2 or 3 inches? Thanks, Tim.

Edit: BTW there is 1.000X0.120X72 inches tube on eBay for a reasonable price with free shipping (listing 324016888096)

Last edited:

JSATX

Goblin Guru
I prefer 3” radius and there’s really no reason to go more than .065 wall, it’s plenty strong. I have already bought about 40 feet of it.