SwerveMonkey's Street Goblin #197 - 08 Donor

SwerveMonkey

yeah, i ran a car fax and looked up a few other websites
Is there a site that gives me the details of what trim model it is?
Nothing seems obvious to me what diffferences are there in each trim level...

TravMac

Or in your trunk under the carpet you can look at your RPO codes for your vehicle. If you post a picture of that I bet we could figure out if it was an odd option package or someone putting in fancy interior on a base car :)

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
In your initial pictures, your intake manifold is that of a LS, or a SS/NA, but I don't think they produced a SS/NA in 2008 and later. Regardless, it's either a 2.2L or a 2.4L NA Ecotec.

Try putting your VIN in, here: https://chevroletforum.com/forum/vindecoder.php

In either case, if you want this fuel pump and would cover shipping, let me know. It was in the trunk of my first donor, still wrapped in plastic, so I assume it's new.

SwerveMonkey

...RPO codes ... post a picture of that
I'm practically almost ready to throw out the whole donor shell:oops:, but tonight I will try and hunt down that plate and post a pic
Thanks guys!
I see that Ark posted his RPO codes in his build, so now I know what to look for.:D

SwerveMonkey

In your initial pictures, your intake manifold is that of a LS, or a SS/NA, but I don't think they produced a SS/NA in 2008 and later. Regardless, it's either a 2.2L or a 2.4L NA Ecotec.

Try putting your VIN in, here: https://chevroletforum.com/forum/vindecoder.php

In either case, if you want this fuel pump and would cover shipping, let me know. It was in the trunk of my first donor, still wrapped in plastic, so I assume it's new.
welp, gotta get one with what i found out last night
you sir are a saint!

SwerveMonkey

This community is awesome, i don't think that is said enough, ha ha :D
anyhow, I found that the link Ark provided is great, shows an 2dr cpe LS model trim

and below is the service parts code plate from the trunk

anyone have a link for the code demystification? I'll probably be able to find something if I search long enough... will post once I find it...
it'll give me something to do between Knocks at the door with all the little ghouls and goblins prancing about demanding sugar confections

Happy Halloween DF Forum!

SwerveMonkey

Coupe LS details from the VIN decoder... the not so obvious stuff I guess
might be useful info later on, maybe not... but having it makes me feel better

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt 2dr Cpe LS
VIN: 1G1AK18F787188055

General Information
MFR Model Code 1AK37
Engine & Powertrain
Type 4 Cylinder Engine
Displacement L/CI 2.2/134
Fuel Type Gasoline Fuel
Horsepower 148.0 @ 5600
Fuel Economy 22.0 City / 31.0 Highway MPG
Fuel Capacity 13.0 gal
Net Torque 152.0 @ 4200
Tech Specs
Front Tire Size P195/60R15, P195/65R15
Rear Tire Size P195/60R15, P195/65R15
Brake ABS System 4-Wheel
Front Brake Rotor Diam x Thickness 10.7 x 0.94 in
Wheelbase 103.3 in 103.3 min 103.3 max
Mechanical & Powertrain

Engine, ECOTEC 2.2L DOHC 16-valve 4-cylinder SFI

Tech Specs
Engine Order Code L61
Engine Type Gas 4-Cyl
Displacement 2.2L/134
Fuel System SFI
SAE Net Horsepower @ RPM 148 @ 5600
SAE Net Torque @ RPM 152 @ 4200
Trans Order Code MX0, MM5
Trans Type 5 5.0 max
First Gear Ratio 3.58 3.58 max
Second Gear Ratio 2.02 2.02 max
Third Gear Ratio 1.35 1.35 max
Fourth Gear Ratio 0.98 0.98 max
Fifth Gear Ratio 0.69 0.69 max
Reverse Ratio 3.31 3.31 max
Final Drive Axle Ratio 3.8 3.84 max
Total Cooling System Capacity 6.9 qts
Tire Order Code QTU, N2H
Tire Size P195/60R15, P195/65R15
Front Wheel Size 15 x 6 in
Rear Wheel Size 15 x 6 in
Front Wheel Material Steel
Rear Wheel Material Steel
Steering Type Electric Rack & Pinion
Steering Ratio, Overall 16.6
Lock to Lock Turns (Steering) 3.6
Turning Diameter - Curb to Curb 33.5 ft
Brake Type Pwr
Brake ABS System 4-Wheel
Disc - Front (Yes or ) Yes
Front Brake Rotor Diam x Thickness 10.7 x 0.94 in
Drum - Rear (Yes or ) Yes
Fuel Tank Capacity, Approx 13 gal 13.0 min 13.0 max
Country of Origin United States Chevrolet Active

Last edited:

SwerveMonkey

looking at the first result from google gave me the cobaltSS.net website

some of the options were not entirely there... then I found a PDF link from the yourcobalt forums
the latter seems all inclusive... it'll be a long night going through each code. BUT, I'm obsessed with knowing this beast inside and out.

Last edited:

TravMac

Ha! You just barely beat me to it. Looks like you have all the technical stuff you need right there. Most of the codes are generic stuff that don't really matter - spring options, body color, etc. The 1LS and L61 are the trim and engine codes respectively. Best way to tell what you're gettin is by those stickers for any vehicle - altho they are always sometimes in different places. Glad you found what you needed!

SwerveMonkey

Definitely found some vital info TravMac
like you mention
L61 is engine description = 2.2 L DOHC ALUM
1LS i couldn't find in the codes, but it seems obvious that it reasons as the LS trim, but that's an assumption on my part
[not changing my build log title again though, LoL]

a few other things i found interesting to note were the following
AR9 = deluxe bucket seats
K64 = generator rating of 115 A
LOD = plant code, assembled in Lordstown, Oh
M86 = 5spd GETRAG 5T45E M F23 75mm

and a few codes that still puzzle me..
NU6
6AR/7AR/8AA/9AA [all listed as Compenent/ComputerSelSusp ]

and then i am REALLY curious about the code at the top of the plate.... MJVX6F
any ideas? I'm not going to sweat it now though... my next big push will be to pull of any stray bolts or nuts that I can reuse & then shove the shell out to the curb.

TravMac

https://marksautoparts.files.wordpress.com/2013/01/gm_spid_label.jpg

Found a useful bit of info on the plate information that I did not know. Helps to explain all the codes that are not RPO related. That said, looks like that MJVX6F was something tied to the vehicle order number. Thought I would pass it along!

Also, since each RPO is basically a code to reference service parts, the ones you list Compenent/ComputerSelSusp are just spring codes. It isn't necessarily useful until you break a spring. And even then, you can usually tell what the replacement part is by other options on the car (part of the reason Autozone will ask engine and trim and so on before you get much help). NU6 is relating to the emissions system described as California, PZEV. My guess is something to do specifically with the carbon canister/emissions systems used. Overall, not super useful or interesting like your engine/trans code - but still necessary from an OE perspective.

SwerveMonkey

Big thanks to TravMac & Rabid Sloth!
hopefully this can be helpful info for anyone else that can find this using the search function

SwerveMonkey

Wow, you aren't kidding that is a tiny garage space!
I have so much respect for doing so much with so little space. Getting that body outside is going to make all sorts of room!
FINALLY!!!
The Day has come!! the donor is outside in the freezing night of long island and my donor parts will be all accounted for and a few extra bits will be tacked on to the list....

I still have to tear down the dashboard, as soon as I free the clutch from the dashboard.
and retrieve the wiring harness from there as well...i have one week to get rid of the shell, hopefully the place i have in mind will be able to schedule soon-ish rather than later.

SwerveMonkey

Its been a little while since my last post... took vacation in Japan, began my job's rotating shift work and was able to get the dash complete torn down and pulled everything I needed.

I was able to thin the dash harness, and used spiral wrap to complete the job so it can be set aside and not jumble up on me while i tackle the main body harness...

I'm currently halted while attempting to follow the wiring harness video because my airbag wiring seems a bit different than what the video shows.

To boot, i have a few loose ends of connectors which i have no idea what they were connected to because either their label fell off or I failed to label them properly... I'm going to Photoshop the pics i took with the harness laid out for reference. at this point I am also getting pretty close to having the $$ to place the order when I have a clear understanding if I will still be living in NY. (long story short, i might relocate in the next year or so, IDK)

A question to the collective though... Has anyone had experience using spiral cable wrap? I ordered 100ft to help wrangle the wiring instead of using that black electrical tape... too sticky gunky IMO. I sort of doubt I'm the first person to use this stuff in a goblin build.

I'll post back as soon as I get the wiring diagram sorted out, still looking to see if I can find something to help translate to what i see in the tutorial videos.

P.S. edit - I didnt realize there is TWO versions of the wiring harness videos... B.R.B.

Last edited:

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
A lot of us use Tesa 51036 tape. Much better than standard electrical tape. Not sure about spiral wrap. I've never used it.
I have used both the Tesa tape and the spiral wrap. The one plus I see with spiral wrap is if you need to pull a wire back out of the harness. My car is all done with the Tesa tape and some shrink tube where I could use it.

JSATX

Goblin Guru
Airbag wiring is different how? None of the airbag stuff is needed, and it’s almost always attached to a bright yellow connector. Just keep an eye out for the tan/tanblk twisted pair that snakes through everything.

SwerveMonkey

Airbag wiring is different how? None of the airbag stuff is needed, and it’s almost always attached to a bright yellow connector. Just keep an eye out for the tan/tanblk twisted pair that snakes through everything.
agreed, its just that it drives me crazy when I come up against the inconsistencies that are bound to occur during the build... little small differences here and there make me stop, double and triple check that I am keeping to the general directions. At times i get super paranoid, and it's almost crippling :- ).

I've started reviewing the second wiring harness series and it is much closer to what my harness is like... albeit my donor was a Pzev version, I know there will be some inconsistencies, but i assume I am going to make a mistake & I just hafta know precisely what I am doing wrong, LoL.

Big Thank You to JSATX, for the connector diagrams, I'll have to document what i missed and have a labeled image showing what's what soon