Build Guide Part 21 - First Start

Adam

Administrator
Staff member
Build Guide Part 21 - First Start
In Part 21 we start the engine for the first time.

Matt TT

Alright, bit of an oversight on my part resulting in coating my garage and self in transmission fluid, but where does the transmission fluid loop connect on the other end?

DanPerryy

Automatic - two tubes on little plate on the front of the transmission just loop together (if you don't add a cooler). Dynoguy (Dennis) on the forum has 7,500 miles without a cooler. I added a cooler (and an auxiliary pump) because I am going to flat tow mine.

Matt TT

Automatic - two tubes on little plate on the front of the transmission just loop together (if you don't add a cooler). Dynoguy (Dennis) on the forum has 7,500 miles without a cooler. I added a cooler (and an auxiliary pump) because I am going to flat tow mine.
Thanks, so just create a circuit with any hose and clamps is fine, or is there a specific way to do it?

DanPerryy

If you ever have to refill a automatic there is an overflow plug on the passenger side of the transmission. Park on a flat spot, remove it, put a catch pan underneath, fill until fluid comes out the plug.

Trans Oil Overflow.jpg

Last edited:

Matt TT

If you ever have to refill a automatic there is an overflow plug on the passenger side of the transmission. Park on a flat spot, remove it, put a catch pan underneath, fill until fluid comes out the plug.

View attachment 1146
Thanks, but what about the two lines themselves? That's where I've got the issue. Am I just looping them back on themselves?

DanPerryy

Yes - connect them together. One of the lines comes from the pump in the transmission, the other returns fluid back into the transmission. On the Cobalt, they connect (loop) together through the transmission fluid cooler on the bottom of the radiator.

Matt TT

Yes - connect them together. One of the lines comes from the pump in the transmission, the other returns fluid back into the transmission. On the Cobalt, they connect (loop) together through the transmission fluid cooler on the bottom of the radiator.
Thanks a bunch Dan! I'll get some tubing and hose clamps and McGiver it together.

DanPerryy

As I recall, there is little holder bracket with a nut holding it to a stud in the transmission. The holder bracket has the two tubes (and the round gaskets that look like a short piece of hose) that go into the transmission.
In recollection - not so good at this time in my life - the other end of the tube - the end where you put the loop hose I cut it off 2 or 3 inches from the bracket. Because the tube then did not then have a flange I put double hose clamps on the hoses. As I recall I had a small leak at first and so I put the extra clamps on it. Use small hose clamps as the larger ones don't cinch down on small hose right where the screw is on the clamp.

Matt TT

Emailed with Adam and here's the solution I came up with. Got two #4 hose clamps for 75¢ and cut one of the hoses off. Used a dremel to carefully cut the radiator end off the remaining tube then looped it back around and clamped it down. Hopefully it works out. I'll update once I can start the engine back up after I sort out my busted fuel pump.

Attachments