Anyone pass inspection in Massachusetts?

James

Hey everyone,
I'm looking to buy a kit in the coming months. I'm currently in Georgia where the registration and inspection processes are fairly simple. But I do plan on moving back to Massachusetts in the next few years and have a couple questions.

Maybe I've overlooked it but does the car have an emergency brake? I know that's required for inspection.

Also, has anyone passed an emissions test? Does the build have a way of including the catalytic converter?

Is there anything else I may have overlooked regarding inspection?

Thank you :)
James

Root

Hi James,
I've been wondering the same thing myself; I'm in Burlington (& Alton Bay, NH). Nothing is ever easy here in 'The People's Republic of Massachusetts'!
Th state RMV website does offer some articles on the subject ..... but nothing specific. When applying for your VIN, they want to see the vehicle and ALL your paperwork and receipts .... basically to make sure you have paid all of your taxes, and to verify that the project does not involve any parts from a stolen vehicle. The safety & emission inspection appears to be left to the particular station you elect to patronize; the same as for any car. But, no where can I find what the basic equipment requirements would be for the goblin or similar vehicle. I guess registration & inspection are part of the thrill! If you find any info, let me know! J

RichN

Maybe I've overlooked it but does the car have an emergency brake? I know that's required for inspection.

Also, has anyone passed an emissions test? Does the build have a way of including the catalytic converter?

Is there anything else I may have overlooked regarding inspection?

Thank you :)
James
Hi James,
NH and Mass seem to be pretty similar for the registration process.
My donor came from Mass and had their emissions.

They have brackets for an emergency brake that mount to the strut mounting bolts. They aren't on the website options, just have to ask.
You will re-use your donor's parking brake handle and cables.
You need to buy a pair of Wilwood spot brake calipers #120-2280 & 120-2281; I got mine on Amazon for $190
I haven't passed emissions here in NH, but plan to make the CEL work properly; if need be, I'll grab a 6" hi-flow cat from Summit for $68.
Next time I try for a VIN, I'm going to tell them it's a 1957 Lotus 7 replica, then I should be exempt from having a wiper, not sure for Mass.
You might want to look and see if Mass is OK with plexiglass windshield and if you need steel bumpers.

Good luck,
Rich

mxcobra

I will be building and registering in MA. Looking to order my kit later this fall for a winter project. As for registering in MA, it depends on the person inspecting it... and having all your paper work correct. I built a factory five cobra a little over 10 years ago now, and I got mine on the road with no paint wipers or emissions junk :)

James

Awesome! It sounds like inspection won't be an issue then, just got to find the right place.

Thanks for the responses guys, I'll keep you updated on my progress when I get there!

Chris Eggert

I ran upon this link the other day while I was researching through the Tennessee state code, trying to decipher how to go about getting a title and registration here. It covers the information we are all looking for in all states. helped me clear up a bunch of questions I had about it. It cleared things up for me without me pestering the county clerk to death with questions and risking making him hate me before I even get to the point of applying for a title...

http://www.semasan.com/page.asp?content=tag_title_toolbox&g=SEMAGA

James

Oh wow that's really helpful! I will definitely reference this when the time comes. Great find!

Chris Eggert

James this is just one of the things I have stumbled up one while trying to figure out the path to take here in Tennessee. I also found where in the system here they have a Tennessee code where bumpers are not required on a custom built car to pass the inspection to get a title and registration. They are not required to be installed if the original design that your custom car is based on does not have them. So that saved me from having that headache to deal with later on...