Insurance choices.

TheNuker

Goblin Guru
Hello Everyone,

I am starting to look for insurance, What options have you all found to be the most cost effective?

Thanks,
Nuker-

RichN

I have already asked AAA and they will do the same as my motorcycle and have Progressive underwrite the policy.
I can't get a quote until I have a VIN

JSATX

Goblin Guru
Initially I went to Hagerty, they quoted $650. Then I called up Lonny's guy who insured me though South & Western General Agency for $250.

Not an endorsement, just my experience. I have no idea what kind of claim service they provide, and hope to never have to find out!

Andy

I called USAA and they will write a policy for a kit car. Funny thing is the cost of the policy was equal to the cost of insuring the cobalt while I drove it around. Cost was about 400 a year.

One tip after the donor is not operable you can call your insurance to have them mark the car as inoperable which will decrease the cost to insure but they still cover the car if the parts are stolen or the house burns down.

TheNuker

Goblin Guru
The problem I'm running into is the "Classic Car" insurers all have clauses that prohibit driving the car to the store to work anything at all. So that is kinda dis-concerning.

Nuker-

JSATX

Goblin Guru
The problem I'm running into is the "Classic Car" insurers all have clauses that prohibit driving the car to the store to work anything at all. So that is kinda dis-concerning.

Nuker-
That's kinda the defacto standard of classic or low mileage insurance.

Mine has all the usual "car show only" language as well but in that same paragraph it says "and occasional pleasure use" which is kinda a catch all as far as I'm concerned.

TheNuker

Goblin Guru
I'll check for that occasional pleasure use, I mean they would not be able to check how often it was used to go to the store or work I would assume. I'm also going to price a normal policy through my regular insurance for liability, because none of these insurance cover track use anyway. I'll still have to buy 1 day track insurance per instance.

Nuker-

Last edited:

TheNuker

Goblin Guru
No insirance except track insurance covers that, I used to pay about 65$ for a track day insurance.

Nuker

RichN

Just insured mine with Heacock Classic in FL $284 / yr. stated value $20,000
I had them previously for my pace car that I just sold this summer.
Some restrictions but not unreasonable; only me and my wife can drive it up to 3K miles/yr ,can't commute to work, and must be garaged at night.

TheNuker

Goblin Guru
Just insured mine with Heacock Classic in FL $284 / yr. stated value $20,000
I had them previously for my pace car that I just sold this summer.
Some restrictions but not unreasonable; only me and my wife can drive it up to 3K miles/yr ,can't commute to work, and must be garaged at night.

Yep that's the reason I went regular insurance, I want to drive it to work and everywhere else. I've already got 3800 ,isles on it since July!!!

Nuker

wombat

I am still shopping, but got a policy from progressive for the time being. Less than 300 a year, but it is not full coverage.

terryjr

My insurance policy is underwritten by American Modern, 7000 Midland Blvd. Amelia OH 45102-2646

For just my Goblin it is $283 per year.

www.amig.com
I have an application in at Grundy but have been looking around for a second option. I called American Modern earlier today and he asked me to send photos before letting me know if they would cover it.

Edit:
Grundy wrote me a policy underwritten by Philladelphia Insurance. Fully coverage, agreed value based on 10k value was less than $200/yr

Last edited:

BaltimoreHokie

Goblin Guru
bumping a pretty old thread...but I just got my insurance without a full vin from Geico. Liability only for 150, however I just reached out to AMIG.com, looks like it may be 250 yearly for full coverage. I am going to cancel with geico if that is the case.

ncgoblin

Goblin Guru
bumping a pretty old thread...but I just got my insurance without a full vin from Geico. Liability only for 150, however I just reached out to AMIG.com, looks like it may be 250 yearly for full coverage. I am going to cancel with geico if that is the case.
Let us know I’m currently with geico liability only.

Christopher Sanchez

Yes, let us know as i am currently also running liability, the price with progressive for basic full coverage with 2000 deductible was still 300 monthly.