Donor Help - Cobalt SS wont start but cranks - Thoughts?

BaltimoreHokie

Goblin Guru
I had the manifold off because of a fuel leak that I fixed. Before I found the leak it wouldn't turn over. So I replaced the starter and fixed leak. Didn't want to put it back on unless it cranked over and the fuel leak was gone. It didn't crank and since I was still possibly testing the starter I didn't want to bolt it up. I hooked up the sensors to the intake manifold and still the same result. Won't crank w out jumping the relay.

BaltimoreHokie

Goblin Guru
So you jumped the crank relay while your wife cranked it over and it idled for a bit?
Yes. But basically right after it was running I had her turn it off prob no more then 4 seconds idling. Tomorrow I'll put the manifold on. See if I can crank it over again and see if there are any other issues.

BaltimoreHokie

Goblin Guru
Yeah. It wasn't running when I got it so I wanted to see if the work I had completed fixed the issue. Now. Just to figure out this clutch issue. Thanks for your help. Wouldn't have gotten this far without it.

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
Try swapping that relay out. You should be able to swap it out with a relay from an unused circuit like wiper on/off or rear defog.

BaltimoreHokie

Goblin Guru
Yeah. I've tried that...always the same result. Wont turn the starter. Its like whatever tells that relay to open is not happening.

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
I guess you could also measure the output resistance of the clutch sensor. I measured mine and it was like 1.4k Ohms with the clutch pedal all the way up, and 3.4k Ohms with it fully depressed. Or it might be the other way around. I forget. The resistance should smoothly change as it's pressed/released.

If you have multimeter leads with alligator clips, you can attach some sewing needles to the clips and gently insert them into the ECM connector. Then have your wife slowly depress/release the clutch and watch the resistance values.

You can also measure resistance on the black/purple, body-to-engine harness connector. Which ever way is easier. From my understanding, the clutch sensor is a huge PITA to get to be able to measure directly.

Clutch.jpg

BaltimoreHokie

Goblin Guru
I didn't get around to finding out why the relay wasn't working but I did put the intake manifold back on. It seems to be running pretty good I took it for a drive around my subdivision and got into boost briefly. I can see why they use these cars. It seems pretty fast. I did however hear what sounded like a tick coming from the engine bay. I took a video. There are two different ticks that are going on. One sounds like a lifter tick. The other one I am not so sure about. You can hardly hear it in the video.

Here is a video

Do you know if that is for sure from the lifters? Or. What the other tick is?

Last edited:

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
I was thinking it could be the high pressure fuel pump too. As far as lifter tick, it could be fixed as easily as changing the oil. Probably won't, but you never know.

BaltimoreHokie

Goblin Guru
I was thinking it could be the high pressure fuel pump too. As far as lifter tick, it could be fixed as easily as changing the oil. Probably won't, but you never know.
It has brand new oil....5 quarts of mobile 1 5w-30....maybe since I had the head off they need to be in there a little longer and soak with oil. No way I feel like taking off the came to replace the lifters.