Shadow Lou Racing, street,track,autocross Goblin

George

Goblin Guru
Another weekend of cleaning priming and painting. As well as modifing and repairing components. Replaced rear lower control rubber bushings with Moog spherical bearings. Need pistons back from coating they would no anodize as the are cast and have to much silicone. Still needling the 82 pound valve springs.

Brad

Attachments

George

Goblin Guru
End of another week. After the failed attempt to anodize pis tons decided to measure and make sure they had not been damaged. They were no longer the correct shape. Ordered forged piston and connecting rods to match. Had to order the super tech valve springs as the others were not available. Picked up subframe from powder coating. Clean,paint,and modify more parts.20171101_105316.jpg 20171101_133420.jpg

Attachments

George

Goblin Guru
This week cleaned the steering rack, made sure the grease was still good and adjusted the tension on the steering rack. It took 6 in/lb to move the pinion got it down to 2 in/lb . The amount of effort to move the pinion by pushing on the tie rod is greatly reduced ( did not measure before and after) this will allow steering to return to center easier. Cleaned intake manifold and painted, remove the inner cooler tubes clean in ultra sonic cleaner. Installed double by pass plate.
Cleaned supercharger, check oil condition and topped off. Waiting for new forged piston to be anodized and coatings
added. Running out of parts to clean and modify.

Brad

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
When you installed the Laminova tubes (inner cooler tubes), did you clock them? I had seen it somewhere where they are to be placed in a certain position but then couldn't find it again when I was installing them. I emailed the the support of manufacture of them and they didn't seem to know. Later I was able to find the information and sure enough, there is a correct clock position when putting them in.

David

This week cleaned the steering rack, made sure the grease was still good and adjusted the tension on the steering rack. It took 6 in/lb to move the pinion got it down to 2 in/lb . The amount of effort to move the pinion by pushing on the tie rod is greatly reduced ( did not measure before and after) this will allow steering to return to center easier. Cleaned intake manifold and painted, remove the inner cooler tubes clean in ultra sonic cleaner. Installed double by pass plate.
Cleaned supercharger, check oil condition and topped off. Waiting for new forged piston to be anodized and coatings
added. Running out of parts to clean and modify.

Brad
How did you adjust the tension on the steering rack and did you add more grease?

George

Goblin Guru
The grease was fine did not clean and relube . Where the pinion meets the rack there is a large nut and a threaded sleeve.
Undo the nut, unscrew the sleeve until you get the feel you want with out having play in the pinion shaft when you turn it. If the car is road worthy just test drive a different amounts if preload till you find what is best for you.

Brad

Last edited:

George

Goblin Guru
Dug out my ecotec dyno engine adapter.
Picture is bellhop sing adapter and absorbsion unit. This bolts to the engine.
Hoping it will fit in the chassis

Brad

Attachments

George

Goblin Guru
Did very little this week, clean and tested fuel injectors. Thought about how to add anti squat to rear suspension.
Waiting for pistons to comeback from coating and kit to be ready for pickup.

Brad

JSATX

Goblin Guru
Instead of buying the neutral balance shafts, I was thinking of having a machine shop chuck the stock shafts up in a lathe and lop the lobes off. That way the original bearing surfaces are still there and you won’t have to worry about Blocking the oil passages off etc. Think that would work?

George

Goblin Guru
Yes that will work, but you are still running the long chain and turning the shafts twice engine speed.
To make it so that you only use a short chain the balance shaft next to water pump

Attachments

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
What's the purpose of getting rid of the balance shafts, less rotating mass? Don't they help with vibrations?

George

Goblin Guru
The balance shafts do make the engine smoother at idle and low speed mostly. By installing the neutral balance shaft the engine produces a littLe more hp and acclerats quicker. By totally removing all the shaft altogether and using a shorter chain you will gain more
Note the balance shaft turns twice crank speed.

Brad