SliderR1's Track Goblin - 05 SS/SC

KJP

Nice job on the tail lights I will be interested to see them with everything together

Balphamore

Slider no offense, wouldn't you also be profiting from the deal? The company was kind enough to supply the file to you for free. Or did you order a set of lights from them? And then make the appropriate adjustments to thier file to work with the goblin? I will admit though they do look great, and you did a nice job on them though. And it does add a nice look to the rear of the vehicle.

SliderR1

I don't understand your logic on me profiting on anything I don't take money for that is beyond my expense in creating... I did purchase the lights from them, but regardless, I explained what I wanted to do with the file before they shared it...

I didn't get on this board and start advertising anything for sale - I shared my creation and was asked by fellow board members if I would share my design files with them. I have no problem with sharing my work for non-commercial use; however, I do have an issue with someone using my work to make a profit. Hell, I even offered to print them out for people that don't have a 3D printer... so please explain how I'm profiting? I could use some extra money...

KJP

Slider no offense, wouldn't you also be profiting from the deal? The company was kind enough to supply the file to you for free. Or did you order a set of lights from them? And then make the appropriate adjustments to thier file to work with the goblin? I will admit though they do look great, and you did a nice job on them though. And it does add a nice look to the rear of the vehicle.
You may want to re read. He only mentioned any payment was if he was to print for reimbursement for materials.
This was also requested by a member.

I look at this the opposite way because he is donating his time and probably some fuel to take them to be shipped to help others that do not have 3D printer access.

TST also benefits because for everyone that likes these and goes this direction they sell two tail lights because of sliders work.

Keep up the good work I am excited to see these on a completed car.

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
I would double check with TST before you start sending them to other users. Even if you're not charging for anything other than consumables, it's still their intellectual property even though you tweaked it a bit to fit the Goblin.

Waterdriver

Goblin Guru
I personally wouldn't mind even paying a little more beyond the cost of consumables. There's SliderR1's time involved, wear and tear on his 3D printer, etc.
From what I understand, TST shared the 3D file of the brake light with its dimensions. Then Slider took that info to make the brake light "housing/mount" file to 3D print. TST has no involvement with the housing.

He could've done the same thing without TST's file, just would've taken longer with taking measurements from the brake light itself.

TST had to have something very similar to make their brake light in the first place. I doubt they're paying any royalties to Honda.

SliderR1

From what I understand, TST shared the 3D file of the brake light with its dimensions. Then Slider took that info to make the brake light "housing/mount" file to 3D print. TST has no involvement with the housing.

He could've done the same thing without TST's file, just would've taken longer with taking measurements from the brake light itself.
This is correct. I could have accomplished the same end result without their file - it just made things MUCH easier and quicker. I'm not printing their part - I'm putting their part into my print. My print is just a housing that allows one to install their light onto the goblin stock mount.

I think I'll be keeping the rest of my ideas to myself....

Waterdriver

Goblin Guru
I think...Balpamore didn't fully understand the details and was looking for clarification. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Sometimes it's easy to take things out of context when reading something in a text format. Things might get implied in a email, texting and forum posts that was never intended. (That includes myself, in the reading and the writing)

Slider and anyone else, I hope you don't stop sharing as it's nice to see others ideas and ways of engineering parts. It helps spur others with ideas of creativity.

Your design helped me to possibly go a similar direction with a different style taillight.
If it doesn't work out I would like to hit you up and buy a set of tail light housings/ mounts. Only if your willing.

Balphamore

Slider sorry if I misunderstood your post, Waterdriver is correct I was looking for some clarification. I was not trying to be rude. I'm one of the people who doesn't have a 3d printer. And whether or not the issue of another companies ideas. Which where modified made a differnce in whether or not it would be a problem. So please forgive me on that. And I do think the part is great as it adds to the look of the vehichle. And I don't want you to not share your ideas. I assure you no offense was meant. And I wasn't trying to offend you.

SliderR1

no worries Balphamore - thanks for the clarification. And I do understand your point. The last thing I want is to be in a legal battle with someone over a 3D model. Now that 3D printing is getting more and more available, there will be people copying all kinds of stuff. Especially once 3D scanning becomes more readily available - which is basically happening now with the iPhone X.

I hope to be able to post some more progress pictures of the Goblin later this weekend. The cold weather here is limiting my ability to finish stuff I should have done last summer.

BaltimoreHokie

Goblin Guru
This is pretty tempting as its basically the same price as the taillights that you can get ordered with the goblin. When you end up with both of them mounted. I'd be interested in seeing that picture of them lit up, so I could compare them to the regular lights.

Balphamore

Slider thanks for your understanding. Let me see if FedEx can package and ship some Az sunshine for ya. :) I'm also a big fan of the guys and gals that do video game props. And lot of them do 3d printing for that too. Which has gotten me to think about a 3d printer. My luck though all my prints would probably end up looking like some fuzzy version of cousin it from the Adams family.

SliderR1

I can't believe its been three months without an update on my build; however, there hasn't really been anything interesting going on. When we have had warmer days this winter, I've been doing a lot of soda blasting on the engine/transmission and the stuff that bolts to the engine - things I should have done last summer when it was warm. I'm nearly complete with the blasting and cleaning process. I'm hoping to finish this weekend and begin painting. I think that will be my last hurdle before I can really start 'building' this thing. I'll try to get some 'after' pictures of the blasting process posted up soon.

SliderR1

I do already have paint. I tried out some PJ1 Fast Black satin paint on some other pieces and really like the way it laid down and looked. Its in a rattle can and is fairly pricey, but I need the convenience at this point. It's supposed to be good for up to 500°.

Here are some before and after pictures of the transmission,

Before cleaning began:
IMG_4018.JPG

After cleaning:
IMG_4182.JPG

IMG_4183.JPG

After paint:
IMG_4189.JPG

IMG_4191.JPG

SliderR1

I've got the engine ready to paint now. I forgot about a broken bolt in the cylinder head, so I fixed that and then ran out of time...

For those interested, I'll share some details on what I did. I was a little nervous about the method for this 'repair', but it worked great. The bolt was broken off about 1/2" down into the cylinder head. I've had horrendous luck with drilling, easy-outs, etc. in the past, so I wanted to try the 'welding' method. I saw this explained on Youtube - I think from Sloppy Mechanics channel. Basically you build up a bead on the broken off bolt until it sticks out of the head, then weld a nut on the end of it and turn it out. It took three different attempts, I'm not the world's best welder, but once I got a good weld to the bolt and the nut, it worked like a charm.

Pictures -

Location of broken bolt:
bolt.JPG

First attempt didn't bond to existing bolt and quickly snapped off, second attempt got the bolt about 1/4" out of the head, and the final weld held.
IMG_4187rot.JPG

Final welded on nut after bolt was out of the head a bit:
IMG_4185rot.JPG

Bolt out!
IMG_4188rot.JPG

Tony

Glad that method worked out for you. I recently had to remove a head bolt broken off in the block in my Volvo... it was 2 inches down from the deck surface. I have a fairly high quality set of extractors, but needed a drill bushing to keep the bit centered. Worked like a charm after that (and some heat), just for future reference.