Rich's Track Goblin - 09 SS Turbo **TITLED & REGISTERED***

RichRich

Not exactly. I was going to install a relay for it. Not entirely sure what I'm tapping into for the ignition switch yet though

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
I tapped into my ABS 2 fuse since it's directly tied to the run/crank relay. There are a few other options, but I decided on that one because it was a completely unused circuit. Also since the pump only draws 2.5A, I wanted to use the smallest fuse I could find.

Lonny mentioned that he used a power wire from the door connector, but that causes the pump to run for 10 minutes after the key is turned off.

http://dfkitcar.com/forum/index.php?threads/lonnys-city-goblin-2010-turbo-ss.122/page-4

RichRich

Was a great day, after 10 hours, 4 different DMV visits, 10 hours total but all in 1 day, I walked away with a new Arizona VIN number and a new title and registration!!! A very long story but in the end it feels great to be street legal.

Just had to take it to top the tank off at the pump for the first time and I immediately had a guy asking me all about it, telling me how much he liked it. That combined with a TON of looks, thumbs ups, and even a motorcycle or 2 quickly figuring out that they weren't much competition. I was worried at the start of the day but in the end it turned out exactly as I wished.

Last edited:

BaltimoreHokie

Goblin Guru
Was a great day, after 10 hours, 4 different DMV visits, 10 hours total but all in 1 day, I walked away with a new Arizona VIN number and a new title and registration!!! A very long story but in the end it feels great to be street legal.

Just had to take it to top the tank off at the pump for the first time and I immediately had a guy asking me all about it, telling me how much he liked it. That combined with a TON of looks, thumbs ups, and even a motorcycle or 2 quickly figuring out that they weren't much competition. I was worried at the start of the day but in the end it turned out exactly as I wished.
Congratulations!!! Why 4 different ones? Did any shoot you down?

Last edited:

JSATX

Goblin Guru

Congrats! That first drive makes every hour spent worth it.

It took me a long time to get used to people honking haha.

RichRich

You get all your air flow issues figured out?
Yes, with the 3" intake and plugging all of the mounting holes of the IC everything worked perfectly.

Congratulations!!! Why 4 different ones? Did any shoot you down?
Not exactly shot me down, when I got to the 1st one at 9am they very rudely told me to get out of there and they can't fit me in and come back when they open tomorrow....and by when they open they meant to show up early, how early? they said somewhere around 1.5 to 2 hours early. I could quickly tell they had a very unhappy life so I decided I was done with that DMV all together. I'm not sure I have ever been treated that bad for no reason by a complete stranger. I could expand more on their attitude and lack of any social ability but I will spare everyone the story. This was at the Mesa DMV

So, on to the 2nd which I heard about through someone else happened to be only a level 1 inspector, I needed a level 2 inspection. He couldn't help me by inspecting but highly recommended the Glendale DMV. So on to that one we went. Being an hour away from home it was a long shot that they were going to fit me in but had to try. Was now 1 pm when we got there but everyone was fantastic, much more personable and understanding, they fit me in but I was the last one for the day. They kept talking about how many Ariel Atoms and trophy trucks they inspect. Officers were fantastic and I highly recommend that office for anyone in the greater Phoenix/Mesa area.

BTW, they didn't look for ANYTHING...matched the motor with the donor title and that's it. Didn't check headlights, tailights, horn, NOTHING. I had ONLY the hood on and nothing else. No fenders, no windshield, no parking brake and when they asked me to bring it into the inspection area they asked "does it run and drive?" I guess that isn't even a priority for street legal in AZ lol. They said "Special Construction" is such a grey area that the law doesn't state what is required. Makes the inspection process a lot easier (As long as you get a good DMV office with good officers)

Last edited:

RichRich

When you get a chance. show us some finished pictures!
Man, as far as finished pictures...it really isn't "finished" just had all the safety stuff on which I thought I needed for inspection but not really sure I even needed that. Still waiting on spoiler, side panels, windshield and various other pieces. Also need to get it wrapped after all that arrives. I will get a pic as it was when I registered it though. I was actually expecting them to find issues with it that I was gonna have to do then go back. I just wanted to know exactly what they were looking for.

Last edited:

RichRich

Here it is as it was when titled, was kinda surprised that it passed but really glad it did. Has been pretty much my daily driver. Kids love being picked up from school in it, and even a joy ride or 2 with the wife through the mountains. Should look MUCH better when I get the rest of the parts and will get a new shiny wrap job
20180407_155827.jpg
20180407_155841.jpg
20180407_155917.jpg

theeulogy

Man, I wish I could work faster. You are about a month ahead of me, I am trying to get it together and running as a quickly as possible so I can get DMV inspection before summer. I really want to take my daughter to school in it before it let's out.

RichRich

It will be some combination of black and purple. Something loud and unique. Hoping the wrap decal place will have more artistic ability than I do haha

RichRich

Little update, got the side panels on but haven't taken it in for a wrap yet. Also still have to finish up the IC pump and cooler install. I got the pump mounted but that is about as far as I got. Been keeping my drives fairly short or staying off the throttle to prolong heat soaking the non cooled intercooler. If anyone knows exactly what to tap into for the IC pump or fan let me know. Would make searching much easier. In the meantime I haven't really devoted much time into doing it. Was out of town a couple weeks

I did run into a problem though, my fuel level completely stopped working and just stays on empty. At first I thought it was caused from the arm on the pump so I took out the pump and rebuilt it to allow the arm to sit in the tank better without hitting, re-assembled it all but it still shows empty. My next plan of action is to replace the fuel pump connector, I think there may have been a bit of weight from the main harness pulling down possibly disconnecting the wire inside the connector. Couldn't find one on Rockauto, all the fuel pump connectors are something different. Has anyone needed to replace this connector?

I haven't gotten it wrapped yet, so just rocking the black hood and silver side panels. Not ideal but I really want to get everything absolutely completed before wrapping. I want to make sure there won't be any removal of panels once installed

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
Are you going to mount the heat exchanger and water pump up front behind the radiator? There are a few 10A igntion switched power sources directly from the BCM that you could use. The heat exchanger fan pulls 3.5A and the water pump 2.5A so 10A would be more than sufficient to run both of them.

RichRich

The pump is mounted on the front side of the engine, below the intake towards the passenger side. Same place as the supercharged engines I think

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member
15252949507011429746267.jpg

Cobalts with ABS have a third power wire coming from this plug. If it turns on and off with the key it would probably be great for the intercooler pump.

Brian74

Goblin Guru
Everything on the C4 connector is battery positive. I would use one of the fuse box cooling fan relays with the gnd trigger wire always grounded to make it run whenever the key is on. you could run both the L to A cooler fan and pump on that relay and you should be safe. The original aftercool pump relay was protected to 15A. Otherwise you could just wire in an additional relay and fuse.

For the fuel pump connector I would check the pins for continuity first to be sure. You can grab the factory part number of the plug from the wiring diagram connector diagram and cross reference it at Mouser.com. The pieces have to be ordered seperately & you will have to build & splice it yourself. I’m off weekend after next if you can wait; just order the connector so it will be there. I need to come up and take a few more measurements anyways and I’d be more than happy to splice & crimp up the new one for you.

RichRich

As it turns out the fuel gauge started working, I think the level indicator arm was bound up and it just took a bit after repositioning the pump. I drove it around for a little while today and the level started working on the gauge itself.

Now onto the intercooler, as wiring isn't my strong point I'm not even sure on where to start to wire the cooler pump into whichever circuit.

Last edited: