Light Car Rocket

JSATX

Goblin Guru
Thought those here might find this latest review interesting. Manual retractable lights gave me a bunch of new ideas on nosecones!

TheNuker

Goblin Guru
Looks cool, If Leno has one I probably can't afford it then :p

Sorry to highjack a bit, But if the goblin frame was made of aluminum I wonder how much lighter it would be.

JSATX

Goblin Guru
Motorcycle engines just bring so many cool features. Two main ones being 12k rev and sequential transmission. I’ve always wanted to design a two stage paddle shifter that lightly engaged the clutch and shifted the trans. Or it could have an ignition cut switch built into the paddle for clutchless shifting!

But motorcycle engines wear down really fast in heavier cars. And even the Goblin is heavy compared to motorcycles. Superlight cars in Detroit used to power their nemesis with a motorcycle engine but they were burning them up and switched to Audi engines

KJP

I was on the fence about building a TRP
over the goblin for a few of those reasons. Mostly the transmission and higer redline. No reverse was an issue as well as I wasn't crazy about the chain drive. Also being able to get a good portion of the parts at a local parts store if anything breaks is just hard to beat.

I am surprised they produced so few of the rockets but the price was pretty insane for the early 90s.

BaltimoreHokie

Goblin Guru
I was on the fence about building a TRP
over the goblin for a few of those reasons. Mostly the transmission and higer redline. No reverse was an issue as well as I wasn't crazy about the chain drive. Also being able to get a good portion of the parts at a local parts store if anything breaks is just hard to beat.

I am surprised they produced so few of the rockets but the price was pretty insane for the early 90s.
I looked at the exocet before the goblin but I'm not as crazy about the miatas, not that I was a fan of the cobalt before I had the turbo one. When I got on factory five forums there is also a lot of people building 818s near me, which would have been nice. I think one of the reasons I initially liked the goblin was the forum support and the you tube videos that DF created.

Andy

Buddy i work with is building an exocet but he opted to put in a Honda engine in lieu of the miata, he wanted 300+ HP. Tons of custom work on his part. It is looking pretty good. Only thing he will be able to beat me on is the weight distribution so slightly better handling. Once he is done we are going to compare them.