Manny's City Goblin - 07 SS/SC Donor

BaltimoreHokie

Goblin Guru
I worked on the dash harness tonight. Took me about two hours to go through the video. Including set up and a bit of cleaning.
Before / During

MVIMG_20180320_212241.jpg

After
MVIMG_20180320_213723.jpg

Only a couple hang ups. I still need to remove the rest of the amp harness. I removed my fog lights, I'm thinking I may should have kept it.

Did anyone keep these? Or anyone decide to actually run additional fog lights?

A couple plugs that I'm not certain about...
MVIMG_20180320_213138.jpg
And then is this eventually mate up with the steering wheel controls?
MVIMG_20180320_213128.jpg

Did you guys remove the Fob key box? You can see it in the bottom of the after picture with blue tape on it

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Keep the key fob box. It's also the receiver for the tire pressure monitoring system.
TPS? I didn't even know the car had it. Does that mean I should have them remove them from the old tires and put them in the new wheels? Not sure if it's worth it.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
I think the first plug is for your gauge cluster.
The second is your steering wheel buttons I think.
I agree with Lonny on both. The second one is most definitely for the steering wheel buttons. The tan/black on that connector is the hazard wire. I had to really research that one because my car had two tan wires when one was supposed to be tan/black. I'm currently working on the buttons for the dash and ended up knowing much of that by heart now.

RichRich

I kept mine for the TPMS but it also is an 09. Thinking out loud but I wonder if it has anything to do with the security system at all... I would keep it just in case

BaltimoreHokie

Goblin Guru
Thanks for the help. Today snowed pretty hard so the family stayed home from work. I worked on the body harness some. Its huge. I got through the video but I have a few more questions.

Is this the ABS plug? Should I remove it and it's wires? I am not sure if my car had the on star plugs like the one in the video. Could they also be part of this plug? Some of those wires looked like they were the same as this one.
MVIMG_20180321_153712.jpg

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member
Yes you can remove that plug and most of the wires.

The are two sets of twisted tan/ tan-brown data wires going into and back out of that plug.

You need to keep the pair that goes to the ECM plug. They will need to be extended and connected to the twisted tan/ tan-brown data wires coming out of the BCM.

BaltimoreHokie

Goblin Guru
Yes you can remove that plug and most of the wires.

The are two sets of twisted tan/ tan-brown data wires going into and back out of that plug.

You need to keep the pair that goes to the ECM plug. They will need to be extended and connected to the twisted tan/ tan-brown data wires coming out of the BCM.
Thanks!!! Love the support. I really appreciate the help.

Last edited:

BaltimoreHokie

Goblin Guru
More of a formal update...
About six hours of effort has been put in the wiring so far. Just getting it out and organized was even tough. The video is pretty good at explaining just about everything. There may be additional wires like seat heaters etc. I'm pretty close to being done. I've just got to take out that last plug then I'll move on to the next video. This was after taking off most of the wrapping. That part alone takes forever. I also used zip ties to keep things in place which likely made it take longer to fish wires out.
MVIMG_20180321_132307.jpg

When I was trimming a couple wires I ended up cutting the wrong one. I had to remove the pin from the harness connector and reconnect it which was a pretty big pain. Took me a while to get it back together correctly.
Here is where I'm at now.
MVIMG_20180321_175717.jpg

So far this is the pile of wires I removed.
MVIMG_20180321_201526.jpg

BaltimoreHokie

Goblin Guru
You need to put that pink wire back! ;)

Suggestion, keep all the wires and all the connectors until you finish the build. I even kept many of the items that had connectors on the so I could go back later and figure out what the connectors plugged into.
Yeah for sure as I cut the connectors off I pile those up in another spot just in case I need to re trace the wires.

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member
You will need some of the wire you pull for extending from the large multi plug on the body harness up to the mating multi plug on the dash harness.

BaltimoreHokie

Goblin Guru
Got a little done today. Got the ABS plug removed, now waiting on Amazon to send me my soldering supplies. Then switched and started working on the subframe. Took a while but got it cleaned up and in primer. Here are a few before pictures. Here is a close up...a lot of the frame looked like this.
IMG_20180324_151159.jpg
MVIMG_20180324_152500.jpg

Then the whole thing. Primer is still wet.
MVIMG_20180324_191459.jpg
IMG_20180324_192700.jpg

Hoping I can get a couple more of the pieces cleaned up tomorrow. Then set myself up to start the next wiring video.

Lastly. I ordered the 26 dollar coolant tank from amazon. It was the same one I had in my car. I need to remove the sensor which was really in there. Any ideas on how to get it out?

Attachments

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
The sensor is a bit of a pain to remove. Pull straight and have a good grip on it. It has a snap built into the inside to hold it in. You can't get to the snap because the o-ring is in the way. You don't have to release the snap and it shouldn't break on you. Just takes a good a hard pull. My o-ring cracked in half after it came out. I had to go to the hardware store to find another o-ring that would work. I wish I could tell you which one it was but I tossed the package.

Lots of work on the subframe. I cheated and took it as is to the powder coater. They blasted it and coated it. I also removed the radiator ears completely and ground down the welds before powder coating. It's not something you have to do, just like to thin things down to the minimum.

You work does look good!

BaltimoreHokie

Goblin Guru
The sensor is a bit of a pain to remove. Pull straight and have a good grip on it. It has a snap built into the inside to hold it in. You can't get to the snap because the o-ring is in the way. You don't have to release the snap and it shouldn't break on you. Just takes a good a hard pull. My o-ring cracked in half after it came out. I had to go to the hardware store to find another o-ring that would work. I wish I could tell you which one it was but I tossed the package.

Lots of work on the subframe. I cheated and took it as is to the powder coater. They blasted it and coated it. I also removed the radiator ears completely and ground down the welds before powder coating. It's not something you have to do, just like to thin things down to the minimum.

You work does look good!
I'm glad you mentioned the ears. I though about taking them off. But was not 100% sure about it. I'll prob remove them tomorrow.