05 2.2l Tune for Turbo?

CMASH

Hey guys, I have a 2.2l out of an 05 cobalt Lt. I would really like to put a turbo on the stock engine, but can not figure out a way to tune this era of 2.2. Could I run 4-6 lbs of boost without a tune on the completely stock engine? Or any tuning suggestions?

-Thanks

Tinkles

No you cannot. Some options
1. a 1:1 raising rate FMU. It will work, better than no tune, but still not a great option.
2. Is the car supported by HP Tuners? That would be the best option.
3. Standalone ECU. Greatest expense and hardest to install, but will provide the best tuning solution.

CMASH

Thanks for laying it out. It is not supported by HP tuners. So I will probably go with a FMU if I go through with it. I'm not looking for a huge performance increase. TBH I really just like the idea of having a turbo. Do you have any suggestions for a specific model or brand of FMU?

Last edited:

Tinkles

I do not have any experience using a FMU, but I do know in the early days of boosted Hondas(and Cavaliers) that FMUs were used for "tuning". But then actual tuning software became available and people moved away from them. My boosted Cavalier is tuned with HP Tuners and I am running a standalone ECU on my Goblin.

2 other ideas came to mind.
1. What about trying a 07-10 ECU in your car? I don't know if it'll work or not, but wouldn't hurt to try.
2. There are a few "port fueler" intake manifolds out there.(Hahn Racecraft comes to mind) They add an extra set of fuel injectors and have them run off of their own ECU.

I'm experimenting with the Tanks Inc AFPR1. So far so good, but I won't have a turbo until next year so it is just set to a constant ~4 bar.
A different year ECU should work as long as you can wire it into your existing harness.

From what I've gathered the stock ECU (for NA, probably TC as well) accounts for differential pressure (assuming a constant rail pressure it will modify injector pulse width based on map is my hypothesis). I'm not sure how equipped the stock ECU is for handling variable fuel rail pressure. I plan to go standalone when it is turbo time.

I wouldn't run any boost without a tune.