1st autocross

k.rollin

Goblin Guru
Those are some really high Gs for an automotive context. The Formula SAE team at my college designed their suspension for 2Gs and they saw 1.2Gs max, which is in line with a video you previously posted. Is the instrumentation having issues? In any case, very impressive numbers.

JERMzSS

Those are some really high Gs for an automotive context. The Formula SAE team at my college designed their suspension for 2Gs and they saw 1.2Gs max, which is in line with a video you previously posted. Is the instrumentation having issues? In any case, very impressive numbers.
It's possible they could be off. I'll see if i can reproduce the results. I got these high readings under braking. I'll be trying those neck exercises to see if they help after the race.

SliderR1

gotcha. the local chapter of SCCA has an event coming up at the end of September. I think their rulebook is complicated... I'm sure I can run A Modified, which is the fastest classification. There was some language in the D and E mod classes that kinda referenced kit cars, so I'll just work with the locals and figure something out.

JERMzSS

That's one thing i like about our local autocross is the classes are alot more relaxed. Everyone is mostly there just for fun. I do wana try some scca events this year tho.

redline

I contacted the national office for the SCCA today to get the official ruling on where we should be placed. I'll let you know what they say.

redline

Technically, it’s EM because of the Cobalt turbocharged engine displacement. DM has a maximum engine displacement of 2.0L normally aspirated. A forced induction engine is based on the computed displacement of 1.4 times the actual displacement which would be 2.8L for the Cobalt turbocharged engine (Solo Rules section 18.0.B, Engine Classifications, page 117).

But the Goblin is not actually based on any production car. It’s more of an AM car per the Solo Rules.

Now the local SCCA Region can classify cars as best for their Solo program per Solo Rules Section 1.1 (page 19). So it’s fine for you to run in EM or even DM if the Region Solo officials allow it. But Nationally, the Goblin is an AM or BM car per the Solo Rules at this time. Most of my previous email was to explain how to get the Goblin classed in the Solo Rules. Personally, I think it would end up like the Ariel Atom and only be eligible for AM or BM at SCCA National Solo events.

-Doug

Doug Gill

SCCA Solo Competition Manager

1-800-770-2055

Silverback

The 2018 SCCA Solo II B-Modified category does not allow turbo or supercharged engines and tires have to be at least half covered. There are rules, but A-Mod is pretty much for anything that doesn't fit elsewhere. To be competitive you absolutely have to be on racing slicks, but I suspect that's the class where many of us will fall. It's a tough group on a divisional or national level, but it's frequently an under-subscribed class in regional competition. Back in the day, a D-Mod Super 7 would usually set FTD in my region. YMMV.

Last edited:

Silverback

...So it’s fine for you to run in EM or even DM if the Region Solo officials allow it...
- Doug Gill / SCCA Solo Competition Manager
Regional events may allow you to run D-Mod or E-Mod, but if you place in the top three, expect any protest against you to be upheld and be barred from the class. Things get really bitchy when points are involved. I wish there was Street Modified Open class that only required 200+TW DOT tires and a legitimate license plate on a car you drove to the event

Last edited: