2.4 L Engine

Tim Moland

The 2.4L Ecotec will fit the build just fine. You can add an aftermarket turbo to it, but it would be best to finish the build first, and add it later.
I'm not sure if this is a good idea. It sounds good in theory, but if you turbo the car, you have to plumb the heat exchanger in the front, under the radiator, and run the heat exchanger/intercooler lines through the center tunnel. Yes, it can be done, but not without a bunch of disassembly. Or maybe you could use an air to air intercooler and mount it in the rear somewhere. I would be curious what everyone else thinks.

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
If I end up putting the turbo on mine. I will air to air it in the rear of the car similar to IDRVSLO and JSATX did Just simpler that way.

I agree with ARK though finish the build and then make changes.

Torchandregdoc

Goblin Guru
Hi, I'm new on the forum. I'm trying to get a donor car but it's kinda difficult finding one with relatively low mileage and with a manual transmission. I'm looking at the engine ( https://carpartplanet.com/2007-chevrolet-cobalt-2-4l-vin-b.html ). It's a 2.4 L cobalt engine and I was wondering if it would fit in the frame.
This may be tough to find. The 2.4L was only put in the cobalt 2006-2008. Every one I've seen was backed up by an auto trans. From what I've read, dimensionally, the 2.4 will bolt in with the auto. All of the Goblin frames are drilled with universal motor mounts for the different motor combinations. In theory, if you mate the 2.4l with manual, it should work. Does anyone know if the crank output is the same for manual as it is auto? That may be a cobalt forum question.

Hello, it's me again. I'm slowly putting everything together. I managed to get the 2.4L Ecotec donor prepped and now I'm just rebuilding the motor with some upgraded parts (cams, coils, spark plugs, turbo charger). Having said that I'm kinda stuck. So my plan is to turbocharge the 2.4L motor that was originally naturally aspirated. I got Adam to DFkitcar to work on the harness for me while I tried figuring this part out but I still haven't made any progress. My issues are:

1. Since it was naturally aspirated how would I go about monitoring boost using the stock ECU? The donor was naturally aspirated so I'm not sure if this ECU (E67 ECU) is capable of managing boost.

2. If it is able to monitor and adjust boost my next issue derives from one of my potential upgrades. I'd like to use a CO2 boost control system with 2 three port solenoids. Does the E67 ECU have existing pins that can be used for this?

3. All the information I've been able to gather indicates that the 2.4L Ecotec is a direct injection motor. However, like previously mentioned I've broken the motor apart to do the upgrades and cleaning and from what I can see it is a port injection motor. The fuel injectors are located behind the intake valves and are note spraying directly into the cylinder so I'm not sure why everything that I've read says that it's direct injection. This is an issue because if the stock ECU isn't able to run the CO2 boost control system I was planning on getting and aftermarket ECU but most aftermarket ECUs only support port injection motors.

Any ideas?

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Did your engine info come from one of the Cobalt Racer Boi forums? All of the NA motors in the Cobalts and the SC are port injected, only the the TC motors are direct injected.

The NA ECUs 2007 and later are much more capable for tuning, but not sure if they can control a turbo and the boost. Someone on the forum may have an idea or ping Lonny as he knows more about the Ecotec engines than some people at GM. :)

Last edited: