2007 SS sc coolant hose route

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
just primed my fuel system and noticed a gas smell... the connector "neck" at the top of the pump is leaking... I did think that I primed it a little longer than usual but would this create enough pressure to break the connector? Or is the connector fine, just primed too much and the larger than usual pressure is pushing the fuel out?

What do you think!?
I would bet it has a crack. Time for a new pump

Andy

It is possible that crack has been there a while, under the car outside you might not smell the gas.

Sho

Having trouble starting the engine...
I’ll turn the key WITH clutch pushed in and makes a click noise but no crank. Cluster and all works. I have the main power/starter cable connected to the alternator where a cable from the stud is running to the starter (smaller gauge). Am I being really stupid and should connect directly to starter? If so same prong where the cable running to the alternator?

Sho

Having trouble starting the engine...
I’ll turn the key WITH clutch pushed in and makes a click noise but no crank. Cluster and all works. I have the main power/starter cable connected to the alternator where a cable from the stud is running to the starter (smaller gauge). Am I being really stupid and should connect directly to starter? If so same prong where the cable running to the alternator?
Well connected the cable directly to starter. Still no luck! I know it can be many things but help! Ideas!?

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
I think there are a couple different ways. I believe the video shows the positive battery lead running to the starter, and another lead running from the starter to the post on the fuse box.

The other way and this is what my service manual says is to run the positive lead to the post on the fuse box, and another lead from fuse box post to the starter.

Either way should be acceptable.

Andy

Is the battery charged? Mine had to be charged before it would crank the car. If you hear a click it is getting power to close the solenoid but maybe not enough power to crank the starter.

Andy

Also is the car security box plugged in? Small box 3x3x1 was installed in the cash but connector should be by the BMS box in the passenger door box area.

Sho

yeah battery is charged, i jumped the starter relay and it turned over so that should be ok.
But I dont hear the fuel pump run at all when i turn the key either... just some relays clicking.
I will try and find the "small box" and see if i have it.

i am suspecting it MAY be the neutral switch/clutch petal switch. The switch is fine it self, tested it.
But i can beep out that the pink wire is still connected but the yellow wire i have no idea where its running (may have cut it in the process of thinning...)
any ideas on where the yellow wire goes?

JSATX

Goblin Guru
yeah battery is charged, i jumped the starter relay and it turned over so that should be ok.
But I dont hear the fuel pump run at all when i turn the key either... just some relays clicking.
I will try and find the "small box" and see if i have it.

i am suspecting it MAY be the neutral switch/clutch petal switch. The switch is fine it self, tested it.
But i can beep out that the pink wire is still connected but the yellow wire i have no idea where its running (may have cut it in the process of thinning...)
any ideas on where the yellow wire goes?
Sho do you have a build thread? If not you really should start one.

Does your gas gauge work correctly? Does the display in the dash display mileage and coolant temp etc?

Sho

Sho do you have a build thread? If not you really should start one.

Does your gas gauge work correctly? Does the display in the dash display mileage and coolant temp etc?
I guess this can be my build thread...? lol I am basically almost done just diagnosing what is wrong with startup. I'll upload some pictures of what i have going on.

But yes gauge shows correct info like milage (shows same as cobalt before) gas gauge working correctly...
Just won't crank the starter at all. Starter cable coming from battery is connected directly to starter doubled with positive cable going to fuse box.
Seems like the conditions aren't being met because of some kind of safety relay or something like it. the transmission is mechanically in neutral position but is there something electrical looking at it?
also i mentioned above the yellow wire coming from clutch sensor...where is it going in fuse box? i may have cutting while thinning. please let me know! thanks

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Also make sure the brown and brown/black data wires are connected from the ECM to the BCM. This has been known to cause guys a lot of grief.

JSATX

Goblin Guru
Also make sure the brown and brown/black data wires are connected from the ECM to the BCM. This has been known to cause guys a lot of grief.
It sure has. Check page two of my build thread.

BUT, your computers are talking because otherwise gas gauge and coolant temp wouldnt show. At least for me they didnt.

JSATX

Goblin Guru
I guess this can be my build thread...? lol I am basically almost done just diagnosing what is wrong with startup. I'll upload some pictures of what i have going on.

But yes gauge shows correct info like milage (shows same as cobalt before) gas gauge working correctly...
Just won't crank the starter at all. Starter cable coming from battery is connected directly to starter doubled with positive cable going to fuse box.
Seems like the conditions aren't being met because of some kind of safety relay or something like it. the transmission is mechanically in neutral position but is there something electrical looking at it?
also i mentioned above the yellow wire coming from clutch sensor...where is it going in fuse box? i may have cutting while thinning. please let me know! thanks
Youre correct insofar as there are a lot of conditions that have to be met to start. Is the little theft lock icon lit on your dash? Do you have the clutch pressed down? the reason I ask is the clutch switch is a potentiometer and it will only work when in the correct position. You can not tape the switch closed it has to be connected to the pedal and the pedal depressed.

There is no electrical switch in the transmission or shift linkage.

JSATX

Goblin Guru
There is also a separate ground wire coming out of the fuse box that must be connected. Some people overook this one because its apart of the headlight or taillight harness.

Its been a long time I dont remember the specifics but I am willing to bet you this is a missing ground problem...

Sho

Youre correct insofar as there are a lot of conditions that have to be met to start. Is the little theft lock icon lit on your dash? Do you have the clutch pressed down? the reason I ask is the clutch switch is a potentiometer and it will only work when in the correct position. You can not tape the switch closed it has to be connected to the pedal and the pedal depressed.

There is no electrical switch in the transmission or shift linkage.
The theft Icon comes up for a second then goes away before turning the key. I’ve looked up threads about the theft protection and I don’t think it’s that. I’m still thinking it may be the clutch sensor. Andy sent me a diagram from the book so I think I’m going to try and diagnose from there. I was able to beep out the pink wire from the clutch switch and it seems ok. Still can’t find the other end of the yellow wire. That may be the culprit.

JSATX

Goblin Guru
The theft Icon comes up for a second then goes away before turning the key. I’ve looked up threads about the theft protection and I don’t think it’s that. I’m still thinking it may be the clutch sensor. Andy sent me a diagram from the book so I think I’m going to try and diagnose from there. I was able to beep out the pink wire from the clutch switch and it seems ok. Still can’t find the other end of the yellow wire. That may be the culprit.
If it goes away then it’s working correctly. The ground I was referring to comes out of the fuse box on this side. Make sure that fuse box is grounded.
B7DADD9F-FE53-4EA2-A2E5-FAF339DB4492.jpeg

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
If it goes away then it’s working correctly. The ground I was referring to comes out of the fuse box on this side. Make sure that fuse box is grounded.
It's posts like this is the reason I read every post everyday on this forum. This probably just saved me a ton of headaches. I wasn't planning on connecting this connector in the fuse box when first starting the motor. I didn't figure I needed the front headlights. Obviously we do.

Where is that ground mounted or attached? Was it just drilled to the frame. I'm currently working on all of the grounds (I didn't exactly follow the build videos on the wiring) and trying to figure out where and how I want to ground everything.

JSATX

Goblin Guru
It's posts like this is the reason I read every post everyday on this forum. This probably just saved me a ton of headaches. I wasn't planning on connecting this connector in the fuse box when first starting the motor. I didn't figure I needed the front headlights. Obviously we do.

Where is that ground mounted or attached? Was it just drilled to the frame. I'm currently working on all of the grounds (I didn't exactly follow the build videos on the wiring) and trying to figure out where and how I want to ground everything.
Attach it wherever you want. I attached it to a ground bolt on the engine because that was closest.