2008 ss turbo relay problem

Lando217

Hi guys I got my donor car a about a month ago and very excited about it. I haven't started tearing it apart yet cause I wanted to fix the problems and have it running good before the breakdown. Seems like the PWR/TRN relay is not working. when I turn the key I get nothing besides a click and a rapid CEL. I can get my car started if I jump the relay by connecting the two powers pin to the other two pins in the four pin relay. new fuse box, new ECM and I have check all grounds I can find. Correct me if im wrong but does the ECM send a ground to the PWR/TrN relay in order to complete the circuit to turn the car on? it seems like something is not telling the relay to complete ground so it powers up. anyone have ideas? Thanks guys!

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
Have you tried swapping that relay with maybe an unused one in your fuse box?

EDIT. Looks like you have a new fuse box. Hmm.

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member
Do you have a security light staying on on the gauge panel? You may need to do a security relearn.

Make sure your data wires were not severed. If your donor was hit on the right front it can damage the wiring in the EBCM.

Did you have to replace the fuse box and ECM do to crash damage?

Lando217

Do you have a security light staying on on the gauge panel? You may need to do a security relearn.

Make sure your data wires were not severed. If your donor was hit on the right front it can damage the wiring in the EBCM.

Did you have to replace the fuse box and ECM do to crash damage?
Already did the relearn and the light stays off. Reason I replaced the fuse box is cause I though the board inside could of been the problem and when that didn’t help I replaced the ecm cause the one I had has a dent on it and could of messed of the board. I’m going to dive into the data cables now to makes sure none of them are cut. T

Lando217

It did have font end damage, driver side headlight completely busted and the cross bar where the hood latches pushed in from going under a truck.

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
I looked up the PWR/TRN relay circuit using my '09 service manual, and there is a ground that is provided by the ECM to make the relay close. It should be a yellow wire that runs into the fusebox connector X5/E2. That wire goes into ECM X2/58.

If you can get the car started by jumpering things around with that relay, then that wire might be a good starting point.

Lando217

Thanks for the advice man! I saw it in other forums also. Last night I came home and tested the yellow wire. It was testing weird so I decided to check physically where it when into the pin for the Ecm harness. Seemed a little loose, pulled the pin out and saw it was broken, have no idea how lol it looked fine from the outside. Fixed it, plugged it back in and vroom with no problem! Super happy that she starts on her own. Now time for taking it apart! Thanks guys and this awesome community!

BaltimoreHokie

Goblin Guru
I had a similar issue with the crank relay. I ended up making an additional ground and connecting it to the relay ground pole. But. It was a pain to figure out. Seems like you've gotten closer to figuring yours out. Good luck!