2009 Cobalt SS on Marketplace

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
I hate to say it but it's not worth $300 if the motor is blown. Sure you can get that out of the parts, but there are a lot of cars out there wrecked with good motors in them for less. For this build, the motor is 75% of the build. The rest can be had pretty cheap. You never know, maybe someone will think that I'm full of it and go for it.

Appreciate the thought!!!!! We are always looking for good donors. I don't need one anymore but I have a habit of searching for good donors myself.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
I see the problem is that the TC cars are getting rarer (is that a real word in context?), ok more rare, in the market and people are snagging them up for much more money than what they should be. I believe the Goblin community is competing with the restoration community (the cars are now in the 10 year old range) and possibly other kit car builders (Exocet?) for engines and other parts. Also, the price on parts for the TC cars at the junk yard are bordering on ridiculous - at least here in the SW - so the yards are also in the game to buy them up. Agreed a car with a blown motor is not worth $2500 to our build requirements, but there are several other TC cars in the auction market that are going for prices on par with this one, same condition.

Last edited:

Brian74

Goblin Guru
I see the problem is that the TC cars are getting rarer (is that a real word in context?), ok more rare, in the market and people are snagging them up for much more money than what they should be. I believe the Goblin community is competing with the restoration community (the cars are now in the 10 year old range) and possibly other kit car builders (Exocet?) for engines and other parts. Also, the price on parts for the TC cars at the junk yard are bordering on ridiculous - at least here in the SW - so the yards are also in the game to buy them up. Agreed a car with a blown motor is not worth $2500 to our build requirements, but there are several other TC cars in the auction market that are going for prices on par with this one, same condition.
Only thing we’re really competing with are a younger generation who completely do not understand the concept of book value depreciation and dimishing returns of aftermarket parts.

IDRVSLO

Goblin Guru
I paid 2300 for mine....blown engine, bought a new engine for 2k and sold about 2500 in parts.

So I paid 1800 for a donor with a brand new engine....dont see how it isnt worth it guys.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Was the car purchase a private party or through auction? Your car must have been in very good condition to sell off that much stuff and get decent $$$. I'm glad your experience with the donor was a positive one, there are others in the forum who have not had this same experience and is something that many of us are trying to avoid to take a smaller hit to our budgets.

Just finding a SS/TC that can used as a donor - blown engine or not - is a real challenge; I'm in the middle of this challenge right now. TCs are coming up on occasion for sale, but are $5K to $7K in driveable condition - with 120,000+ miles - with potential resellable parts that are not beat to hell or a rust bucket. These cars are not worth cannibalizing from a $$$ standpoint in my opinion, since the parts used versus the parts resold will be on the far negative side of the value equation. Occasionally someone gets lucky and finds that good condition car for a reasonable price and can actually break even when all is said and done.

Insurance cars are filtering thru the auctions, but many are not worth purchasing with big hits on the front end that show visual damaged to many of the parts that are needed for the build or flood cars that look good but are iffy at best for the electronics and drivetrain internals. Avoiding certain areas of the country where rust grows on cars like leaves on trees is also a limiting factor - lived there in the past and know what problems are associated with trying to reuse these parts :mad:.

The bottom line: the value of a car that will be used as a donor, that will not break the bank and meet the needs for the person doing the build, is a hit and miss proposition at best and luck plays a big part in finding that just right car to purchase. Good luck to all.

IDRVSLO

Goblin Guru
Which is why a blown motor example is not a bad route to go. No auction fees. Plenty of parts to sell. I avoided auctions and used the FB page in my search because the auctions presented unknown variables I didnt want to deal with.

JeffsGoblin

Goblin Guru
You can also lower your standards and not go with a TC. A SC or NA may be a possible route. After the build is complete and you still have the bug for more speed, just add a turbo.

It all depends on personal preference, but we all know those guys that get bored quickly, sink a lot of money into a project only to sell it months later cause the next big thing comes along (this might be me, it might not and the next big thing might be my daughter’s wedding but hopefully not for a few years. Life is a funny thing). :)o_O:cool::p

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Jeff, I have new LNF crate motor in my garage, so I am pretty well committed to a TC build. There are so many electrical and mechanical differences with the TC that it would not be economically feasible to purchase a SC or NA. To Scott's point a blown motor purchase would not be an issue for me, but finding one that is not completely trashed out is the crux of the problem. I would like to get a running TC so I can recoup some costs by reselling items. If anyone has a good lead on a TC, please let me know. Thanks.

Last edited:

ProCorrections

I paid 2300 for mine....blown engine, bought a new engine for 2k and sold about 2500 in parts.

So I paid 1800 for a donor with a brand new engine....dont see how it isnt worth it guys.
You’re the exact reason I even posted it lol. I knew I read somewhere on here what you paid for one with a blown motor. I think you came out awesome on yours

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Pulled the trigger today and bought a 2008 SS/TC on Copart in El Paso. Rear end collision, the front of the car looks pristine with no mechanical damage. Will be getting it delivered in the next 10 days or so and can start stripping. It's all good.