2010 SS F35 Unusually Firm/Stiff Shifter

KSLunsfo

I recently got my hands on a donor (build thread coming soon). The car is a 2010 SS with the G85 code (LSD) with ~87k miles on the odometer and a minor hit in the front. One of the first things I noticed when driving it into my driveway after the car was unloaded is that the shifter feels unusually stiff or firm to me. It feels this way no matter how you're moving it, in/out of gears and even side to side while in neutral. The best way I can probably describe it is a very noticeable resistance, something with the cables perhaps...?

Has anyone else experienced this or is it even possibly normal for the F35? Compared to other 5 speed cars I have driven it feels quite different. So far I've only driven it in reverse and 1st gear but may take it around the neighborhood one day to get into 2nd and 3rd.

I haven't started any disassembly yet, maybe I will discover something when I do so. After disconnecting the shifter cables from the transmission I will determine if it's from the shifter/cables or (hopefully not) the transmission.

Ross

Goblin Guru
Maybe the shifter cables got kinked/damaged. My F35 isn't stiff, sloppy loose, but not stiff. The kit includes new cables.

KSLunsfo

I understand it's probably one of those things that could have a dozen or more answers, so I'm sure it'll take tearing down to figure it out. Not to say it's impossible the cables are damaged somehow, but the radiator support is barely effected from the hit. The engine and trans appear to be untouched from the accident anyway. Hopefully I'll be prepared to start tear down soon... I'll post back if/when I find something.

redtank22

I have owned multiple cobalts and I can say that the 2008+ cobalt ss's shifts are a lot more firm and stiff compared to the supercharged models. Still have no idea why this is.

Lethalcast

The bushing the shifter ball rides in wears out/dries out and can cause the shifter to feel tight but will move around in the bushing. Mine was worn some at 68k. I've been trying different greases for the shift ball/bushing and the linkages with mixed results. The last grease has made it the smoothest yet.

Last edited:

KSLunsfo

Hmm interesting... I will take a close look when I finally get the chance to dig in. Thanks guys!