5/110 to 5/114.3 conversion and brake information

Boostless

Question about wheel bearing hubs: Can you use Grand Am wheel bearing hubs like this guy? http://www.chevycobaltforum.com/threads/my-hub-conversion.2662/

Bump?
I don't see why not, idk which car they're running them on, one of the posts above said that the tc has different axles or whatever than the rest of the models. So they'll probably only work on the car the cobalt guys are using. I didnt read the entire cobalt forum so I don't know the whole gist.

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
Bump!

Is this still offered? I have a set of 5x110 wheel hubs I'd like to convert to 5x114.3, seeing as I was enlightened to the fact that wheel adapters may get me a red X from Pennsylvania when the time comes...

JeffsGoblin

Goblin Guru
You can purchase new 5x114.3 (redrilled) hubs from DFG at $100 each. Nobody ever confirmed the Grand Am wheel bearings would work.

Goblin Guru
That would be great, the wheel choice is a lot better for 114.3 than it is for 110. I had planned on converting to 4-lug hubs but I located a full set of new 5-lugs, from someone that sold their Cobalt before installing them.

Goblin Guru
For the record, Ken's info above does seem to be correct. I was able to ship my hubs to DF for redrilling @ $25 each.

Sounds like they are still trying to get out from under being swamped, though. If you're considering taking advantage of this service, I would check in first with Adam.

ccgillett

Dusting this thread off for a couple questions. I bought a work-in-progress car and it came with 5x114.3 hubs. I'm going over the work done by the prior owner re-checking everything, verifying torque, etc. I found this fail, left front, where the hub bolts to the Goblin suspension:

So my questions are:
  1. Are those studs replaceable? They look screwed in, but I'm not sure
  2. If the studs can't be replaced, is there an orderable part number for 5x114.3 hubs that fit our cars?
  3. Does the 2009 Cobalt SS (TC) use 5x114.3 rear bearing hubs?
Judging from the comments here and elsewhere, looks like I need to source hubs direct from DF, I was hoping there was a Moog part number I could just order.

Thanks for any help and clarity!

Attachments

Ross

Goblin Guru
I have only heard of custom redrilled hubs for 5x114 for our cars.
Usually studs are replaceable. Sometimes people order longer ones.

r3drckt

Goblin Guru
That looks like a mounting stud, not a rotor side stud. They’re usually pressed in, not screwed in. But I’ve never tried to replace one of those studs so not sure if any local auto parts stores have them.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
If you can press it out you could probably just replace it with a bolt that fits tight in the hole, if you can get to it with a wrench. If not you might be able to tack weld it in place.

WYGoblin

I am pretty sure mine were screwed in. If I am recalling it right I had some the stud came out before the nut broke loose. (I could be wrong. It has been a couple of years now) I would definitely take a close look at it before trying to press it out.

gofast

I looked at one of my hubs and it looks to me that your broken stud is most likely screwed in. The back side of the stud has no head which means if it was pressed in, it could be pulled out if the nut was overtightened. Wheel studs, which are pressed in, have a head which prevents them from pulling out when the nut is tightened. I would heat around the stud before screwing it out as it may have thread locker on it.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
Probably even better if the old stud can be removed. If the threads are the same on both ends then a bolt can be cut or you can buy studs. If different threads on each end you can buy studs that way or maybe someone on here can pull out their olds ones if they are replacing their hubs. I used new hubs but put the old ones on the donor when I got rid of it.

Robinjo

Goblin Guru
You can purchase new 5x114.3 (redrilled) hubs from DFG at $100 each. Nobody ever confirmed the Grand Am wheel bearings would work.
I sent mine in to DF for re-drilling. Cost is/was $30 a units, so $120 for all for (plus shipping there). They are coming back with my kit, so I didn't have a return shipping cost.

ccgillett

Thinking about this for a few days, what I think makes sense is to run "stock" hubs (i.e. 5x110) and stock 11" rotors, then use a 5x110 to 5x114.3 spacer to get the bolt pattern and offset I need for my wheels.

Given that decision, to replace the hub in the FRONT of the Goblin, I order the Cobalt REAR hub part number, correct?

k.rollin

Goblin Guru
To ensure easiest sourcing of replacement/spare parts, yes. 5x110 PCD hubs and stock 11" rotors. The hub that you linked appears to be for the 4x100 PCD though. You could run those, but the 11" rotors would need to be redrilled unless you went to the 10" rotor and caliper bracket.

If you want to run ACDelco parts, I think this would be the hub you need:

ccgillett

To ensure easiest sourcing of replacement/spare parts, yes. 5x110 PCD hubs and stock 11" rotors. The hub that you linked appears to be for the 4x100 PCD though. You could run those, but the 11" rotors would need to be redrilled unless you went to the 10" rotor and caliper bracket.

If you want to run ACDelco parts, I think this would be the hub you need:
Oh sorry, I think I meant this hub: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=903337&cc=1442033&pt=1636&jsn=1066