5 Point Harness

SliderR1

I've never bought a 5 point harness before. Anything in particular I should be looking for? It appears the shoulder straps mount to the roll bar behind the seat and not the bar down low, correct? Is there a certain type of cam lock that is easier and/or better?

Thanks for any input.

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
I've been thinking about harness style too. The only problem I have with a 5 point harness is crushing the family jewels. Then again, in an accident that might be the least of my worries.

Silverback

The 5th point belt is primarily there to keep the waist belts from riding up over your hips when you tighten the chest straps. But check out 6-point harnesses to keep those jewels intact.

Andy

If you are going to use the 5 point I hope you are racing. The 5 points are a hassle on the road. Buddy had them in Ohio and would get a ticket ever year or so for not having/ wearing a compliant belt, even though they are safer. I have been looking at belts and there are some nice retractable 3 points out there by corbeau. Still let you move around for the street but lock up in a crash and provide better retention then a stock seat belt. Don't want to steal the thread just letting you know what is out there if you didn't already. I think I am going with the stockers then switching to the corbeau after I get the car done for a cooler look.

Brian74

Goblin Guru
I'd advise against a 4 point. My sand rail has a 4 point, and it is a pain in the ass because the lap straps want to constantly ride up your chest in a racing style seat. I would recommend a racing harness on this car. Make sure each belt is fastened to the cage at the point that is closest to your body and will restrict movement the most in the event of a crash.

Like previous poster said, check your state laws. Personally I'd rather have a ticket for a well designed system that keeps me in my seat.

DanPerryy

Mine is a 4 point, I have had not much trouble, although the 3 point stock ones are comfortable.

Silverback

Latch & link restraints are a pain to fasten, particularly when used with a 5 or 6 point system. Cam-locks are much easier and quicker to get into and some function more smoothly than others. A racing harness - while much more secure - is not a street legal restraint, but enforcement in many states is lax. Every time I got stopped in the 7, it was definitely not for a lack of approved seatbelts LOL. In a modern stock vehicle, the 3-point seatbelt allows one to move a bit in a crash and your body is protected with an airbag or two and a cushioned cabin. In a high impact collision with a 4, 5, or 6-point harness-equipped race car (a Goblin maybe?) without an HANS-style head/neck restraint, your neck can be subject to extreme forces (think severed spinal cord and quadriplegia), especially with the added weight of a helmet. But HANS devices are not suitable or practical for street use. So, you make your choice and take your chances.

Last edited:

Silverback

...I have been looking at belts and there are some nice retractable 3 points out there by Corbeau. Still let you move around for the street but lock up in a crash and provide better retention then a stock seat belt...
I remember Lonny or Adam saying that the stock Cobalt rear seatbelt assembly worked well for a grocery run. It is possible to install racing both racing restraints and stock belts then select what works best for your particular drive. I'm planning on installing both a 6-point cam-lock as well as the stock rear belts and using strategically mounted rare-earth magnets to keep the unused belt clasps from tossing around.

Last edited:

DanPerryy

Lonny and Adam used the front seat belts from the Cobalt on their car that used stock seat belts. The frame has attachment points for the front Cobalt seat belts (low on the frame behind the seat, and a stud hole high for the shoulder loop). The rear seat belts in the Cobalt attach on the rear deck lid and there is no provision on the frame for them.

JSATX

Goblin Guru
I love my corbeau cam lock belts. It takes all of two extra seconds to buckle them and I don't even notice it even on a short trip to the parts store. It's my little reminder Im driving something awesome with little protection so don't be a dumbass :)

If I were to make up a complaint it's that it definitely takes more time if you're carrying a passenger because you have to show them how it works and adjust them etc.

SliderR1

I appreciate the opinions and discussion. You've got me considering the 6 point harnesses now...

I did some research over the weekend and have read that polyester is preferred over nylon, but probably not that big of a deal. Also, I'm guessing the 'pull up' lap belts would be preferred in this application?

JSATX - are your corbeau's the pull up type?

JSATX

Goblin Guru