AC options - gut compressor or idler pulley to replace compressor?

KLMOTORSPORTS

Forum,
Looking for options for getting rid of AC Compressor...do they make an idler pulley to replace AC or do you just gut the compressor to lose the weight?

Would like to totally remove the compressor....thanks for info!

Ken

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
What engine? The T/C and Base model can be removed, but the SC cannot (easily). We have the SS/SC and we just gutted it and it's nothing but a pulley at the moment. It doesn't turn a thing other than the pulley itself. Even removed the clutch so it's just a mount with a pulley. We kept the body for the third bolt for extra support; others have removed the body and just use the two bolts.

Brian74

Goblin Guru
When I was looking into building the S/C version Goblin, I scoured the internet for some type of compressor delete pulley. I had no luck whatsoever. Apparently whatever company did make one, no longer does. I would check with John Powell from Powell racing. If anybody knows a solution, he would.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but its my understanding that the SC (unlike the TC) needs that pulley for proper belt routing.

Last edited:

KLMOTORSPORTS

What engine? The T/C and Base model can be removed, but the SC cannot (easily). We have the SS/SC and we just gutted it and it's nothing but a pulley at the moment. It doesn't turn a thing other than the pulley itself. Even removed the clutch so it's just a mount with a pulley. We kept the body for the third bolt for extra support; others have removed the body and just use the two bolts.
LSJ SC engine

Ross

Goblin Guru
Doesn't the AC compressor have an electronically activated clutch on it? (Our Honda does. Not sure about the Cobalt)
If it does, no need to gut the compressor.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Doesn't the AC compressor have an electronically activated clutch on it? (Our Honda does. Not sure about the Cobalt)
If it does, no need to gut the compressor.
It does have a electric clutch and could be run as is, but it's fun and satisfying to lose the weight of the compressor and reduce it down to the bare minimum. ;)

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Sounds like I will gut the compressor and use it as a pulley for my LSJ SC...appreciate the inputs guys!
It makes the belt routing simple and no issues finding and replacing the belt in the future. Also there are adjustable belt tensioner that can be used within smaller charger pulleys.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Just adding an idea to this thread for those who have the SS/SC LSJ motor, Jegs (and other sites) carry idler pulleys tht are designed as replacements for A/C in some performance applications. The link I added is for the small block Chevy as an A/C replacement. I may or may not be useable on an Ecotec, but there are so many others available it may be worth a try to see if one will fit or could be easily modified to work.
https://www.jegs.com/i/Chevrolet-Performance/809/10055890/10002/-1

CajunJeff

Will also add to this, I've been looking into LSJ swaps for years (which is how I ended up here)... saw this the other day, and thought I'd share. LSJ swapped into a Triumph RWD, but he made an A/C delete idler plate to clear the steering rack (pertinent photos linked):

http://www.britishv8.org/Triumph/AlbertGary.htm

CajunJeff

Also, I distinctly remember reading this article in Hot Rod back in the day, they archived it on their website- but it's missing half the article, if my memory is correct. Originally had pictures of the engine front, cam specs, and a bunch of other info. But I believe they ran it on the dyno with no A/C, and used a 2.2 idler setup (the same as was used in the 2.2 supercharger kit I believe) which requires a reverse-rotation alternator.

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/hrdp-0907-gm-ecotec-bolt-ons/
(EDIT: 375HP??? Somebody needs to do this in a Goblin...)

Here's a photo from AlphaFab Industries running this idler setup: I think this is an actual 2.4 kit. It says "uses the stock LE5 tensioner."
(EDIT: it also mentions an alternator spacer and pulley)

Last edited: