Aftermarket rear goblin coilovers

David

So I just wondering has anyone used any aftermarket coilovers in the rear instead of the stock ones. I remember reading about something in the works but I can't seem to find it any options out there

k.rollin

Goblin Guru
I would assume that any coilover strut that is compatible with the front end of a Cobalt would work for the rear of the Goblin, provided that the springs are replaced with lower rate units, as the Goblin is much lighter than the Cobalt. That said, I don't think that anyone has used coilovers for their build and posted about it, with the exception of AleX1/9, who used Koni strut inserts with QA1 sleeves and hardware to build his own coilovers, and Lonny's turbo car that was used as a test bed for a kit that used BC Racing struts. See here and here.

AleX1/9

Adam and Lonny are offering coilovers for the rear now. I think they're BC racing brand? And reasonable too like 6 or 700ish

I would have never made my set if they were available. Same cost, wayyyyy more work

David

Good too know that's that's much easier then trying to find something to match the goblin front

JSATX

Goblin Guru
Good too know that's that's much easier then trying to find something to match the goblin front
Yes DF has rear coil overs available. They are on the car that Matt from demo ranch got if you want to see what they look like

David

Yes DF has rear coil overs available. They are on the car that Matt from demo ranch got if you want to see what they look like
That's what I thought but i wasn't sure if he put them on or if it came with the goblin he got

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
That's really good to know. My front springs were hacked to different lengths so I sent the entire front suspension to the scrap yard. Hope that doesn't come back to bite me.

JeffsGoblin

Goblin Guru
... so if you put coilovers on, can you go with a bigger wheel/tire combo and not worry about running into the strut?

k.rollin

Goblin Guru
Based on the pictures that I've seen, the interference would be between the tire and strut body/spring seat. That is to say, running coilovers could get a taller tire, but not necessarily a wider one.

David

Based on the pictures that I've seen, the interference would be between the tire and strut body/spring seat. That is to say, running coilovers could get a taller tire, but not necessarily a wider one.
Here are some pictures and I think your right you would only be able to go taller
Screenshot_20171013-163427.png
Screenshot_20171013-163352.png

Boostless

To solve the issue of getting wider tires, has anyone tried getting pretty wide spacers? It's kind of a ghetto option, but it should give additional clearance. There's no need to get a taller setup unless you're trying to off-road :p

TheNuker

Goblin Guru
With my mild tuned LSJ dynoed at 228hp 216tq, (should be around 300 by the end of winter :D ) the 235 100 tearware tires are doing really well. As long as the tires are not totally cold I can flat foot it in first and second and beyond with only a super tiny slippage from first into second at 7k.

I guess I'll see how that holds true as I hit the 300hp mark....

Nuker-

TheNuker

Goblin Guru
That sounds really soft. No problems with rocks getting stuck in them?

They are soft, But the weight of the care offsets this quiet a bit. I have a couple rocks occasionally, but nothing deep. I have about 3800 miles on the set and the rears are down to about 20% treadlife fronts are 50~%

TBH I was expecting to get a lot more treadware. I would also caution more powerful goblins SC/TC from going with tires harder than 100 treadware. Because it's hard enough to get these up to temp. I had to drive 2 whole laps on a 1.7mile course to get up to temp. And on the road it takes a nice 80mph stretch before you can tell they are nice and warm. (When these Toyo r888r get up to good temp you can see a change in the surface texture) I would imagine harder tires are going to simply suck. I also think around 5k miles on a set of rears on this kind of car is pretty darn good.

Nuker-

Boostless

100? you must go through those pretty quick :eek: Has anyone fit 15's under the cobalt brakes? That would bring the cost down quite a bit. As well as weight. Sorry for thread jacking :oops:

PHerder

100? you must go through those pretty quick :eek: Has anyone fit 15's under the cobalt brakes? That would bring the cost down quite a bit. As well as weight. Sorry for thread jacking :oops:
Remember a 100 treadlife tire on a 1500 lb. car is like having a 200+ treadlife rated tire on a stock Cobalt. Also you will need to run a much lower PSI in the tire otherwise you will wear out the center of the tire.

I learned this on my Stalker (pictured above my userid). I had pumped up my tires for an autocross and found NO grip at all! Was taken aside by a more experienced racer and told to lower the pressures a bunch. Did and set FTD with street tires!

Boostless

Remember a 100 treadlife tire on a 1500 lb. car is like having a 200+ treadlife rated tire on a stock Cobalt. Also you will need to run a much lower PSI in the tire otherwise you will wear out the center of the tire.

I learned this on my Stalker (pictured above my userid). I had pumped up my tires for an autocross and found NO grip at all! Was taken aside by a more experienced racer and told to lower the pressures a bunch. Did and set FTD with street tires!
Never thought of treadwear in that way. I have 200tw on an na miata. It grips like crazy under stock power around a track.
If I can ever actually afford a goblin, I'm thinking about getting a set of dedicated Hoosiers for the track, as well as street tires just for fun! That's why I'm interested in how much meat you can have on them without fitment problems. More grip = more fun :D

Johvans

Never thought of treadwear in that way. I have 200tw on an na miata. It grips like crazy under stock power around a track.
If I can ever actually afford a goblin, I'm thinking about getting a set of dedicated Hoosiers for the track, as well as street tires just for fun! That's why I'm interested in how much meat you can have on them without fitment problems. More grip = more fun :D
Be careful with the purple crack... its easy to get hooked. FWIW I sold my Miata to get a Goblin. I'll probably end up with some A7's at some point.

TheNuker

Goblin Guru
Like I said I have about 3800 miles on the 100 TW Toyo r888r and about 20% left. Just keep in mind really big fat wide tires your going to have a hell of a time getting them up to temp on this lite car.

I'm running 18psi in the front and 20psi in the rear tires on the goblin. Very even wear on both front and back.

Nuker-