Aftermarket solid shifter?

TheNuker

Goblin Guru
Was not sure where to stick this question, But one thing I did not enjoy on my first build and over 7000 miles driving was the little sloppy shifter. Does anyone know of any aftermarket shifters that we could install that would be solid as hell. I'd almost be open to machining something in the next several months.

I'm looking at this http://www.superlitecars.com/parts/graziano-shifter

Yeah the price is crazy! But **** something solid like that would feel amazing on the goblin.

Nuker-

KSLunsfo

What about something like one of these? With some modifications/custom mounting of course...

OR

Those are just a couple options from a quick google search. Honda parts (even fancy aftermarket billet stuff) is CHEAP. I would have a hard time stomaching $2k for a shifter. I would have to do more research on some of them, but if it's built well with good bushings/bearings/tolerances etc. then it will likely be far more solid than an OEM, especially worn out OEM.

JSATX

Goblin Guru
My question would be how far can you get with just the shifter? So much of the sloppy feel is the reversing of the throws, the cables, and the transmission itself. There’s not much you can do about any of those.

But you know Quaife can solve your problems for about $11k....

KSLunsfo

That's a good point too Justin.

I did however perform some small upgrades and did some 'engineering' on the shifter in my GSX Eclipse recently. I replaced the rubber shifter base bushings with steel replacements and replaced some cheap looking thrust bushings with some needle roller bearings I spec'd out and the shifter is MUCH firmer. So, your actual results will really depend on the state of things before you start...

JSATX

Goblin Guru
Maybe find one that’s reversed already? But would that flip your gear selection? My brain is tired

This might make for a really interesting experiment for the F40 guys with the cayman being 6 speed

Last edited:

BAR-AIR

Good Evening,
Ross and I have been discussing using the Getrag 5 speed shifter from the Pontiac Fiero already reversed to be used with a front wheel drive transaxle mounted in the rear of the car. (Fieroguru) already makes a kit for that shifter turning it into a 6 speed shifter with a reverse lockout for swapping an F40 transaxle into the Fiero.
THX,
Bruce

Ross

Goblin Guru
This Fiero shifter doesn't need the reversing forks for the left/right movement. The cable could be directly connected.
It does still need the reversing forks for the forward/back movement. The shifter is also offset a little to the passenger side, so the bulk of shifter won't interfer as much with the drivers seat... but will interfer more with the passenger seat. They even offset the shifter shaft so that ergonomically the shifter is in the same place as the Cobalt shifter, even thou the base is shifted over to the passenger side.

Lechlis

I had one of these in the VW R32. Looks like it would adapt pretty easily.

With the stock shifter, solid bushings at the transmission and solid cable ends, there was still noticeable slop. After that shifter was installed, there was zero play. No lie, it was the most satisfying upgrade I think I made to it. It was buttery smooth and it would let you row the gears exceptionally quick

JSATX

Goblin Guru
Well thanks to this thread I have started designing a billet shift mechanism with the throws setup to not need the reversing turn buckles. Similar to the lotus exige shifter.

But also saw these on sale today.

Tim Moland

Well thanks to this thread I have started designing a billet shift mechanism with the throws setup to not need the reversing turn buckles. Similar to the lotus exige shifter.

But also saw these on sale today.

This is the shifter I have on my car. It's a pretty tight setup, especially if you buy the aluminum spacers to replace the rubber mounts under the shifter housing.

KSLunsfo

Ooo that looks fancy. Where did that come from? If I'm seeing it correctly it has an adjustment on the shifter height, that's an interesting feature.

JSATX

Goblin Guru
Sure, drop a pic of a beautiful sculpture, without mentioning the artist.
Probably some Chinese 10 year old, it’s a knock of, albeit a pretty nice one. Almost no slop at all.

Lots of work left to do. Going to mill a reversed horizontal throw arm as that’s still backwards

JSATX

Goblin Guru
Really cool JSATX. Hope you're able to make this work.

Confidence is high. It’s far from perfect but it’s a very good start.

I had started my own dedicated design similar to factory five. However when I found this I had to give a try, as I’m not even sure I could buy the raw aluminum for what that thing costs.

It’s a copy of the Ktuned RSX shifter. Brass bushings and everything. I’m going to add additional set screws to fine tune the tension etc etc etc.

If this works as well as I expect it to it could be a very reasonably priced upgrade.

Ross

Goblin Guru
Probably some Chinese 10 year old, it’s a knock of, albeit a pretty nice one. Almost no slop at all.

Lots of work left to do. Going to mill a reversed horizontal throw arm as that’s still backwards
Is it easier to reverse the transmission arm, and leave the shifter alone?

JSATX

Goblin Guru
Is it easier to reverse the transmission arm, and leave the shifter alone?
I think it would be if it was the forward/backward motion that needed reversing, but the horizontal lever is fairly complicated and I don’t see and easy way to reverse it. Let me see if I can find a picture maybe you have a better idea.