Aftermarket Turbo

Justinreed7

I like anything that goes fast
Driver preference I guess. But once again I talked to ZZP yesterday, keep in mind I want a reliable 300hp that lasts and is cheap, they hands down recommend the LNF. With barely and mods you're getting 300 from a stock 2.0 turbo.

They did say that for big numbers and extreme mods the LSJ is better. But those extreme mods carry extreme price tags.

With the LNF I can run it for 100k miles until it croaks, then I can get a high performance crate motor from ZZP for $1900 and do it all over again.

2008-2010 Cobalt SS is what I'm after, but hey the more of you that pursue the supercharged cars over turbo, the cheaper I can score my model!
Agree 100%. Although a high performance short block starts at 4K. A crate motor for 1900 is just a new stock engine. Although the stock engines can hold some serious power for stock

SinisterSF

Agree 100%. Although a high performance short block starts at 4K. A crate motor for 1900 is just a new stock engine. Although the stock engines can hold some serious power for stock
The 1900 crate motor is the euro motor, better journals and a few other advantages over the US engine. Not near their super duper engine at all but a great option to making any repairs on a stock motor.

Justinreed7

If you have the LNF or LSJ you don't need a rebuild if you want anything under 450whp. Only the 2.2 and 2.4 guys will need rebuilds for some serious hp.

SinisterSF

If you have the LNF or LSJ you don't need a rebuild if you want anything under 450whp. Only the 2.2 and 2.4 guys will need rebuilds for some serious hp.
I meant a mileage rebuild. Eventually the motor is going to require a refreshing, A full rebuild often costs more than 2k, I'm just saying the crate engine is my answer for that.

TheNuker

Goblin Guru
What can the base five speed trans handle?
That is what I am wondering also, I'm shooting for an LSJ at 300WHP. I plan to change the clutch and flywheel out but not sure about the transmission. It is the F35 on the 07 cobalt SS LSJ right?

Nuker-

Justinreed7

That is what I am wondering also, I'm shooting for an LSJ at 300WHP. I plan to change the clutch and flywheel out but not sure about the transmission. It is the F35 on the 07 cobalt SS LSJ right?

Nuker-
The f35 transmission is fine with anything below 400whp/400tq. I started having tranny issues when I was launching under boost with drag radials at 500+who. I went through two transmissions in four months then decided to upgrade to the f40 6 speed swap from a 2011 up regal gs. As for the clutch and flywheel, I highly recommend the gmpp clutch from crate engine depot. For the price you simply can't beat it.

JSATX

Goblin Guru
For anyone else who might happen on this thread at a later date. The GM recommended after market turbos are:

400-600hp
Borg Warner AirWerks S200 (part number 317222)
Garrett GT 35R
Turbonetics T3/T4 Hybrid

600-1000hp (as if)
Borg Warner AirWerks S400SX, 71mm (part number 177248)
Borg Warner AirWerks S400SX, 74mm (part number 177101)
Garrett GT 40R

and theres more but not even worth posting...

I have also heard good things about the Precision LNF direct replacement turbo, its one of the cheaper options.
http://www.precisionturbo.net/turbochargers/factory-upgrade/details/Factory-Upgrade-Turbocharger---GM-LNF-Equipped-Vehicles/265

For those (like me) planning on an aftermarket turbo set up later on down the road, I have found more good install information on the Polaris Slingshot forums than I ever found on any of the Cobalt forums.