Alex and the Extended City Frame - 08 Sport/Automatic Donor

ctuinstra

Well-Known Member
11/6/2018

With the new bolts and aluminum upper mount, the front fenders look to be just about perfect. With a washer between the fender and the mount and they will be positioned just right.

View attachment 5737

On another note, the tie rod ends continue to kick our butts! We have tried penetrating oil, 5# sledge, tie rod separator tools all to no avail. We have tried banging the top of the threaded rod end (so much it is now deformed) and even the end of the steering arm to try and force it out. I'm not sure what we did different than everyone else but these things are stuck hard. After accidentally cutting the rubber boot we now have to get a new one. So we are taking off the aluminum steering arm and will take it and the rod end to a shop with a 20ton press. Hopefully that will get the end separated. Here are several pictures - maybe someone can see something that we did wrong? Or ???
Where did you get the clamps for the rubber brake lines?
 

ctuinstra

Well-Known Member
Did you ever get them off? Usually a couple of hard swings on the end with a large hammer will deform it enough to pop it off. I had to take mine off but I didn't care about the aluminum because they were going to be replaced, I just wanted the ball joints. One was a bit of a pain. I also had better luck with something pulling on it while hitting it with a hammer.

1541730244635.png
 

Bretter

Well-Known Member
Did you ever get them off? Usually a couple of hard swings on the end with a large hammer will deform it enough to pop it off. I had to take mine off but I didn't care about the aluminum because they were going to be replaced, I just wanted the ball joints. One was a bit of a pain. I also had better luck with something pulling on it while hitting it with a hammer.
Yes we tried that - it is hard to tell in the picture but that flat spot on the end is from us hitting it like the arrow shows. In the end, we took off that piece of aluminum and finally got it to come out by swinging it at the end of a long metal rod - not very elegant but it finally worked. So it appears that we are just not hitting it hard enough - will try better bracing and hitting the other side harder to see if we can get that one off.

Thanks!
 

SliderR1

Well-Known Member
Next time try freezing the tie rod end on both sides of the steering arm. I keep a can of that canned air keyboard cleaner in my shop - if you turn it upside down and spray you can freeze stuff really quick!
 

ctuinstra

Well-Known Member
Next time try freezing the tie rod end on both sides of the steering arm. I keep a can of that canned air keyboard cleaner in my shop - if you turn it upside down and spray you can freeze stuff really quick!
I was thinking the same thing such as heating the aluminum and then freezing the shaft. Might not hurt to put a slight film of anti-seize on them for future. Thanks for the idea, I’m gonna do that with this build.